“Would reccomend in a heartbeat!!!!!!!”

Sylvan Glen Country House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penrose
Canberra, Australia
“Would reccomend in a heartbeat!!!!!!!”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

9.11.13 we got married!!!! It was a dream come true!!!!! Sylvan Glenn were a dream to work with!!! From room set up to lending items to help us in out, late night emails & doing the "special touches", nothing was too much trouble! Every staff member smiled and always offered their assistance (this was mentioned multiple times by many of our guests!) we were welcomed to the house that was beautifully set up and had that "at home" feeling that makes it more special. I honestly can say with the amount of effort they put in they are well worth their weight in gold! Highly highly recommended!!

• Stayed November 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I could not recommend this venue highly enough. I cannot express how absolutely delighted anyone would be with holding an event here. From weddings to golf days to Host a Murder weekends - the staff, food, atmosphere and venue are faultless. If I could have our wedding weekend all over again, there is NOTHING I would do differently. The Function Room was decorated exactly as we wanted and it looked magnificent in white and green topped off with draped ceilings and subtle fairy lights. Guests moved from the country garden, where they were enjoying pre-reception drinks, games and antipasto and cheese platters, into the Function Room with some guests describing it as something out of a Hollywood Movie. Family and Bridal Party were thrilled with the rooms and amenities we utilised for the whole weekend and looked forward to the beautiful breakfasts each morning. Donna, Matt and staff worked tirelessly to ensure we had a fabulous celebration of love in an amazing venue. I cannot praise this place enough. You have to see it for yourself to believe it. I see a review about Not having TVs in rooms. Well this worked well for us as it brought everyone together to play pool, golf and sit and actually have conversations!

Room Tip: If you are planning a wedding, just show Donna pictures of what you have in mind and let her weave h...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My daughter was married at Sylvan Glen in May 2013. It was the most wonderful weekend of celebration and family togetherness that one could wish for.
Donna and Matt, together with their delightful team, are the most gracious hosts – leaving one feeling more like part of their family staying in their home, rather than "paying clients". Nothing was too much trouble, and many little extras just happened without having to ask.
Donna is the most calm and relaxed wedding coordinator, which allowed my daughter to stay calm and relaxed throughout not only the planning stages, but on the all-important wedding day. The result was a perfect mix of relaxed country charm and the formal elegance of a memorable occasion -just what the happy couple wanted to achieve.
The immediate families all enjoyed staying on site in the lovely old country home, and we found this to be a most delightful way to enjoy each other's company; the remaining guests stayed in Bundanoon and were brought to the venue by Sylvan Glen's own bus – so everyone could enjoy the party and dancing without the worry of driving home.
If you want the type of wedding that is remembered as a precious time for family and friends to share together, then this is a perfect venue. If that is not your style, then look elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie D
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We recently stayed at Sylvan Glen as wedding guests and unfortunately I have to say that for the price we paid I was expecting somewhat luxurious accommodation. Sadly the accommodation facilities were far from it. For the $250/night price tag I would at the very least expect a queen size bed and a TV in the room. Instead we found ourselves in 'dorm style' facilities in a double bed and no TV. Not to mention there wasn't any natural light at all in the room making it very difficult to get ready for a wedding.

The wedding itself was lovely and the grounds of the property are absolutely beautiful. It's a shame though that the accommodation wasn't up to scratch (or more so that it wasn't reflective of the price). If I was paying $150 a night then I wouldn't have felt disappointed. It seems to me though it's a matter of charging through the roof as the rooms are certain to sell with an entire wedding in town and limited accommodation available.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank TessaC11255093
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My partner and I were married at Sylvan Glen in February 2012. I can honestly not explain in words just how beautiful this place is. We looked at 15 other venues before setting our eyes on Sylvan Glen and we never looked back.

Donna,Matt and the team at the Glen were welcoming,friendly,flexible,professional and just incredible from the very beginning right up to the end.
All of the guests rooms and the main room was immaculate to stay in.They all were individual in appearance and really well maintained.

Sylvan Glen as a location has a magic about it that no other place does. The Sylvan Glen team then adds extra magic to what already exists.
We can't pinpoint the best part of the weekend - as we loved it all, but we can highly recommend this place to everyone else!

I truelly was the best weekend of our lives and it was all thanks to this beautiful gem!

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and beautiful. They all have their own special touches.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank K8Schoobs
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2012

If the thought of having a reception at an RSL is your worst nightmare, you'll love Sylvan Glen!

This was the only venue my husband and I looked at (actually, I just booked it alone as I knew hubby would love it) for our wedding in March 2012.

As your wedding weekend should be, this was the weekend of our lives. From a great Welcome BBQ on the Friday night, to huge hot cooked breakfasts, comfy rooms, an awesome location with vintage touches, to the best night of our lives at the reception, we just loved Sylvan Glen.

I loved that you can add personal touches to your hearts content (which I did) and Donna has LOADS of decorative things to choose from. She also has great taste - there's no stock standard wedding decor happening here.

Donna's advice was really useful but not overbearing and we felt free to tweak the weekend to exactly what we wanted. It's a country setting - it's rustic in some ways - you have to love that kind of style.

It was RAINING on our wedding day and I was totally freaked out about this all day. I was really disappointed to have to move the reception indoors but you know what, Donna and Matt were totally chilled about it, they made up the room how I wanted and were just great about the whole thing. In the end it was a TOTAL blessing in disguise, the smaller indoor venue ensured that all my guests got to know each other and by the time our photos were done, everyone had met and mingled and were all having a ball.

The service is very understated, in that you won't realise how much Donna and Matt are doing behind the scenes. It all gets done and you don't need to stress.

The flexibility and personal service is great - Donna doesn't make a big deal of it but she does offer loads of extras that you would never expect - I know of her doing runs into town to get extra supplies and dropping guests back home if the bus isn't going that way.

Can't wait to return for our anniversary!

Room Tip: Hire the whole place for a group - works best that way!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I chose Sylvan Glen as our wedding venue after one google session and one phone call with Donna! We rented out the beautiful house for our family and bridal party and the rest of our guests stayed in nearby Bundanoon and were transported to and from Sylvan Glen on the "Party Bus" which they all thought was brilliant! Donna and Matt (and all of their team) made us feel so welcome from the minute we met them and throughout our special weekend. We were blessed with a gorgeous day and a smooth ceremony, drinks time and reception, most of which was organised by Donna :) We were married at Sylvan Glen almost 2 years ago and people are still talking about what a wonderful weekend it was. As much as I would love to go back and do it all again, I would be worried that it wouldn't be as perfect as it was! If you are looking for an "all in weekend" wedding (or even if you live closer and just want the day) then I HIGHLY recommend contacting Donna and letting her and her team help you have a day you will always remember and your guests will continue to talk about :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mellcatt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrose
Peppers Manor House
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa
Links House
Links House
#1 of 9 in Bowral

Been to Sylvan Glen Country House? Share your experiences!