“Australia's best hotel with every detail considered”

Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolgan Valley
sydney
“Australia's best hotel with every detail considered”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

It's hard to imagine that this hotel could live up to its price tag. How could service be that good, or the rooms that nice, or the location that special? This hotel delivers on every front. It is more than a hotel or a resort, it's an experience where right from the time they pick you up from the gatehouse to take you on a personal tour to the time you seamlessly check out they've thought of every detail to make it the best experience.

I went expecting having lots of time to 'do nothing' but there was a surprising amount to do and I left after two nights wishing I had more time to explore as well as relax. We were there during 40 degree days and we made lots of use of the private pool, but the whole time we couldn't help but think how nice it would be to be there in winter and enjoy the double sided fireplace. More disconcerting was that we left the 'once in a life' time experience already planning our next trip back.

Food and Wine: The food was excellent. The worst part about it was that you can sustain eating it! Some dishes are better than others but there is a very high standard. A highlight was the share plate at lunch which we were fortunate to have the head chef come out and explain where each item was locally sourced from. The cheese room was as amazing as we expected. The included wines are all nice ($15-18) bottles sourced from hunter / mudgee and orange regions. The beers are australian mainstream and only ok, like James Squire and James Boag... would have been nice to have Little Creatures or some more boutique beers.
Staff: The staff were the best I've encountered in any hotel experience. Some were exceptional, looking after your every need was intuitive to them, it wasn't a case of asking them to do something because they'd already offered. Some of the restaurant waitresses weren't quite as professional as the front desk / field guides etc. but were always friendly. The staff are surprisingly loyal to the emirate brand and appear to have a great sense of pride, love and respect for the project. Special mention to Sean and Derek who were amazing.
Location: It's easy to forget how beautiful Australia is when you live here, but the Wolgan Valley is a special part of it. The location is stunning, being surrounded by beauty on all sides is special. The site offers lots of areas to explore and experience as well. For those who can afford it I'm sure the helicopter is a great way to get there but the drive is really lovely and easy (about 3 hours).
Rooms: The attention to detail in the rooms was astounding, there are so many commissioned pieces of furniture and small architectural details to appreciate. Federation architecture isn't my choice but its entirely appropriate in this context of a farmstead and they are so true to the style its impressive. In the 2 nights we were there I still didn't feel like I had enough time in my room to fully appreciate it. The pool is an absolute highlight, some how the water was always the perfect temperature. The pool would benefit from large places to sit in the pool. The bed was large with nice sheets and the bathroom and bath were almost as big as the huge WIW.
Hotel: Like the rooms the attention to detail is beautiful. So many great spaces reveal themselves with great use of light, framed views, soft furnishings and art. The main pool is nice but a little small and the seats around it were hotly in demand. The layout does mean certain rooms are a fair walk from the main building and when its 42 degrees like when we were there walking isn't much fun.
Activities: There is a surprising amount to do. We did the tour of the 1832 homestead which was interesting but probably longer than it needed to be at close to an hour. The wildlife tour which was great - a highlight was seeing an albino wallaroo, literally a white 'kangaroo'. My favourite thing we did was taking our mountain bikes for a ride up to the Platypus Deck.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. Some of the rooms are a bit of a walk from the main hotel so if you don'...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Everything one wishes for.....nature, great staff, fantastic food, spa and pool.
We enjoyed every minute, the restaurant staff even created a special vegetarian menu for me on our last evening.
Spacious houses, beautifully decorated with splash pool, mountain bikes, veranda with great views. I would not know which house to recommend the most as they are all the same, of course views are a little different. We had no. 33 and I can recommend it.
The pool is next to the lunch restaurant, great location and relaxing nice beds etc.,
The gym is a great place to do some workout.
The spa is really relaxing and very good.
The excursions are interesting, from a walk with a ranger to horse riding,
Nothing wrong with this place, if you can not enjoy yourself here.....you have a problem.
I would like to thank everyone at Wolgan Valley, we had a unbelievable time.....THANK YOU!

Room Tip: we had 33, perfect, all houses are great, but I do suggest the outside row, all house have a great p...
Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Apologies this is a few months late, and I had originally not intended to write a review but on reflection felt I should, given that my strong feedback during my stay seems not to have been acted upon.

I will first say that I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the resort, we had an amazing stay there, with the facilities being top class and I had one of the best massages I've ever had. The service was patchy, particularly in the dining room and the quality of the food could have been better for this sort of a hotel given the price, so it didn't quite meet up to expectations. I know that after my complaint that all of the staff worked really hard to make sure I had an enjoyable birthday and it was appreciated.

The one thing that I was very unhappy about during my stay was when it came to them adhering to their own policy around children in the dining room. On their website they state that children under 8 could eat in the dining room until 7.30 but after this time they would be welcome to eat in their rooms.

Whilst I understand that the resort is child friendly and I have absolutely no issue with this whatsoever, the fact that they state this on their website is completely misleading. There were several children under 8 in the dining room way past 7.30 on all but 1 or 2 of the 5 nights we were there. Upon raising this issue with the manager on my first night, I asked what they intended to do to adhere to this policy. They first tried to suggest I had miss-understood the website. I clearly have not and it's still on their website to mislead anyone else who might prefer a child free dining experience during their stay. Unfortunately they were not prepared to do anything about this and I suggested they remove it from their website. Given they have not removed this statement from their website I can only assume that this is still happening. Either enforce the policy or remove this from your website as it is unfair and is deliberately misleading to customers when you have no intention of adhering to this policy. I must add that I don't mind sharing a dining room with children, but the fact is that when I'm paying a serious amount of money for an experience in the belief that it will be child free and my expectations are not met through no fault of my own then I take issue with it.

Room Tip: I don't know how you could get a bad room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rachel101
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

At first I was sceptical about bringing my two young children to this resort but I was amazed of how accommodating and friendly the staff were with them. We took them on a few activities including the horse experience and the wildlife safari which they enjoyed (although the safari ride was very bumpy). Our favourite was the private picnic in the middle of the bush where we were up close with the kangaroos and wallabies. The service is outstanding and the food is unbelievable. Every meal is very different and well thought out. We looked forward to our 5 course meal for dinner every night. Our bed felt like a coma every time we slept. We felt very relaxed even with 2 kids under 2.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy K
Atlanta
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was going to write a full review but Nick L. sums it up perfectly. Actually I thought the food was pretty great but the service had major gaps and not just in the restaurant. For example, at the pool you had to get your own towel and set up your own chair. I understand that sounds spoiled but at this price point it should be a given. The pool service was spotty at best. One guy serving the entire pool, one minute he was there then for an hour you wouldn't see him. You'd place an order then wait 20+ minutes for your drink. One day around 10:30 they had maintenance servicing the pool and drilling holes in the umbrellas. This should not have been done during "pool hours" while people are trying to relax. I could go on with other examples but you get the picture. Again, like Nick L. said, sooooo many good things about this place but at $1400-2000/night they need to up their service game pronto!!! Definitely not a 6 star resort.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 19, 2014

To be sure, Emirates Wolgan Valley is a wonderful resort in a stunning location. You will absolutely be pampered, eat well, and stay in a beautiful suite. However, when you're paying nearly $2000/night, there's a different standard that you have to meet.

I'll start with the positives:
- Incredible suites with private pools and the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in (and I've slept in a lot of nice beds)
- Wolgan Valley itself is an incredible place. You really feel like you're out in the middle of nowhere.
- Fun wildlife everywhere. So many kangaroos, wallaroos and wallabies that after a couple days you don't even notice them
- Mountain bikes with each suite and tons of pretty serious biking trails
- Good food with a lot of options for an all-inclusive place

Things that weren't bad, but could be improved:
- The food was good, but it wasn't *great* I was expecting a little bit better.
- The service, particularly in the restaurant, was a bit off. Seems like the servers tried to deliver almost every plate to the wrong table. Not sure how complicated the table numbers could be, but they definitely didn't have it straight. Otherwise the service was more of what you'd expect at a casual dining, chain-type restaurant, not fine dining.
- There are a lot of flies. This is obviously out of Emirates' control, but they're pretty darn annoying in the summer. Not the biting kind, but if you aren't moving faster than a brisk walk, they're buzzing all over you.

I enjoyed our two days there and I'm glad we went, but I don't think we'll go back. It's definitely no on par with the African safari lodges that it's modeled after.

2 Thank Nick L
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the resort last weekend. The drive from Sydney was great, took us approx 2 and a half hours. The best part of the drive was when you get onto wolgan road. The scenery and remoteness is absolutely breath taking.

We were greeted at the gate by Daniel who drove us to the resort. It takes around 10-15 mins to get to the resort from the main entrance but we didn't mind because the view was gorgeous and we had a great chat with Daniel about the resort.

We arrived to the resort and were greeted by Emma. Her experience and customer service is out of this world. She suggested we go back to the room then come back to the restaurant for lunch. We had a detailed tour of the main resort building and then of our room.

We stayed at suite 7, there were a few suites out front but I preferred where we were located because we were higher up and the view is gorgeous. Everything about the room is 5star. The pool was great. The bed was super comfy. I loved the bathroom especially the amenities!!

All snacks and drinks are included in the rate so that was a plus.

The food is 6 star quality and the service is amazing.

I would definitely go back again and stay a extra few nights and I highly recommend it to everyone.

The biggest plus is that there is no phone reception. But there is wifi in and around the resort.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Lithgow
Turon Gates
Turon Gates
#1 of 3 in Capertee

Been to Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley? Share your experiences!