My fiance and I recently stayed here over the October long weekend. I'll start with the positives: Let me say that this was without a doubt one of the best holidays of our life - it was really the perfect weekend getaway. The room/lodge/suite (whatever you wanna call it - basically your own individual little house) was AMAZING. It had *everything* you could possibly want in a room and then some. You will not be disappointed in the quality of the rooms.
The people were incredibly friendly and helpful in every way. Always smiling, courteous, and everything you'd hope to expect from a place of this quality. The field guides were particularly fantastic - we had a great experience for every activity we went on and the guides were very knowledgeable.
The food was very good, definitely above average resort food but it falls short of being high-end restaurant quality. Some dishes were exceptional but others were very average. The weekend was very busy (the hotel was full) so it's possible that the food would be better under different circumstances. Breakfast was exceptional.
The property was great. Lots of great walking and bike tracks, plenty of wildlife around and so quiet and secluded away from the hustle and bustle of sydney.
Now for some of the negatives - some of which I suspect are accredited to the fact that they were so busy on the weekend.
Upon arrival and check-in we had our first lunch before heading to the room. My fiance ordered the wagyu burger and it came out with the patty almost cold - a disappointing start but they were happy to rectify and bring out other items.
There was a bug on our pillow when we got to the room and some cobwebs around the outer areas of the lodge - we were in the bush so it's to be expected a bit but you'd hope they'd ensure the room was clean for check-in at least.
Dinner on the first night had some poor service. Not in the sense that anyone was unfriendly - but more so overwhelmed and/or incompetent. We were seated at the bar lounge to have a drink and it took forever before anyone came to take our order (ended up ordering at the bar), and then a long time before they sat us at our table. The meal was good but a couple of times they placed the wrong food at our table and were confused about what went where. They never really explained the dishes or wines and just plonked them down before hurrying off.
Breakfast the next morning was great in terms of food but I had ordered one side dish which simply never arrived. When we checked in they had asked us what newspapers we wanted - we selected the SMH and AFR and ended up getting The Herald Sun the first morning.. ok? They got it right the next day though.
Last issue was that prior to arrival they called us and asked if we wanted to book in any activities. I asked them if anything is likely to book out since it's a busy weekend and we wouldn't want to miss out. They mentioned the only thing might be the arena horse ride so I booked that in for the two of us at 11:30am on Sunday morning. At dinner on Saturday night a field guide came around and asked if we wanted to make any bookings and after a bit of discussion it was revealed we were never booked into that slot and it was now fully booked. Felt like they had had shoddy communication on their end. The issue was resolved though and they were able to fit us in at a later time.
Oh also the coffee was absolutely awful. Just simply undrinkable - on two separate occasions we tried it and both times they burnt it beyond belief and it was incredibly harsh/bitter. Bread was pretty terrible too - breakfast, lunch, dinner, side dish or in a meal, it was only ever the same type of bread.
All in all though none of those issues were too large or anything more than a minor annoyance - and they were mostly rectified to our satisfaction quickly enough.
We really enjoyed the weekend and for the two nights we spent we felt we did a LOT in terms of activities and experiencing the property yet still felt completely relaxed and at peace at the end of it all. We intend to try to make this a yearly visit. Hopefully we can visit at a less busy time and not have the minor kinks and issues that we did for this trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley offers the rare opportunity to experience true luxury in a spectacular Australian bush setting. The property borders the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage wilderness region, just 190kms from Sydney. Nestled between two National Parks and spread out at the foot of towering cliffs, Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is set within its own private conservation and wildlife reserve. The resort itself occupies just two percent of the total land area of 7,000 acres and its design, reminiscent of traditional rural Australian homesteads, reflects a timeless appeal and a natural sense of place in the vast and dramatic landscape of the Wolgan Valley. The 40 individual suites each have their own private deck and indoor / outdoor swimming pool. The main homestead offers distinctive dining, luxury facilities and the stand-alone Timeless Spa features six double treatment rooms, and a range of signature treatments. The seclusion of Wolgan Valley creates a natural sanctuary where guests can relax and explore in unsurpassed luxurious comfort. This is the quintessential luxury Australian bush experience - a unique blend of wildlife, dramatic natural beauty, conservation, heritage in a spectacular Australian bush setting, which can be explored through a range of activities including four wheel drives, heritage tours, wildlife spotting and horse riding. All meals are included in the tariff with a strong focus on regional and seasonal produce, and where possible organic ingredients are used. Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is a member of One&Only Resorts and Luxury Lodges of Australia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Jetsetter, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wolgan Valley Resort And Spa
- Wolgan Valley Hotel Blue Mountains