My partner took me here for my birthday. The setting is absolutely magnificent and the villas are probably one of the best we have ever stayed in. Great thought has been given to the decor and the bathrooms are just pure bliss with the spacious shower. The bed was just so comfortable and the night we stayed it was rather chilly so we turned the gas fire on, such a lovely touch.
It is clear that Emirates have spent a huge amount of money on the standard of furnishings and construction of the villas which is what one would expect at a resort of this standard.
Why have I given an average rating because the food and service is below par with the rest of the resort. We had lunch on arrival it was an awkward affair the waitress seemed indifferent and the pasta I ordered should have contained chilli.. well I don't know what happened to the chilli but there was absolutely none in the dish. Normally I would not comment on this but it seemed to be a precursor to dinner.
The menu at dinner consisted of one side with a series of small plates and one chose from the right hand side of the menu. The right side of the menu comprised fish, meat and other main course dishes. The small plates arrived on a tray and we helped ourselves.. the salads were tasty and seemed a good start to the meal. The mains arrived, my partner had ordered the scotch fillet and I had ordered the waygu patties note the use of the plural term. I received a patty which was luke warm whilst the scotch fillet was cold .. note all plates were cold. When does a restaurant use cold plates for hot food!! Both the cotch fillet and wagyu patty were served by themselves and needed somethinh like a sauce..... where was the sauce???
My partner was reluctant to send it back eventually we caught the eye of a waiter (more on waiter service in a minute) whose immediate response was that it was fresh and he could have it redone... was that reheated or a new fillet cooked? Sensibly my partner changed to the lamb cutlets which duly arrived hot and were good. Desserts were good certainly not outstanding, we ordered coffee which we had to prompt the waiter again only to be told he had forgotten the order.
From my observations at dinner the waiter and waitress all require training. Whilst there is a trend to informality the wait staff should not address guests as " ÿou guys" or as I overheard one to say "youse guys" absolutely appalling use of the English langauge especially when there are so many overseas visitors. The table we were allocated was underneath a light where the light bulb had blown and needed replacing as day turned to night we sat in increasing darkness. It was only when we asked could we have another candle that the waiter noticed the bulb had blown. No offer to relocate to another table.
The tables are small and are made worse by the fact the wait staff do not come to remove the finished plates instead waiting until they bring the next course out thus trying to juggle dirty plates as well as plated food. Breakfast was on similar par.
I have to say I was really disappointed with the food and service. This after all my birthday and I know my partner spent a large sum of money for the evening. For me the food, service and comfort are the important factors as to whether I enjoyed the stay and in this case I did not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley offers the rare opportunity to experience true luxury in a spectacular Australian bush setting. The property borders the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage wilderness region, just 190kms from Sydney. Nestled between two National Parks and spread out at the foot of towering cliffs, Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is set within its own private conservation and wildlife reserve. The resort itself occupies just two percent of the total land area of 7,000 acres and its design, reminiscent of traditional rural Australian homesteads, reflects a timeless appeal and a natural sense of place in the vast and dramatic landscape of the Wolgan Valley. The 40 individual suites each have their own private deck and indoor / outdoor swimming pool. The main homestead offers distinctive dining, luxury facilities and the stand-alone Timeless Spa features six double treatment rooms, and a range of signature treatments. The seclusion of Wolgan Valley creates a natural sanctuary where guests can relax and explore in unsurpassed luxurious comfort. This is the quintessential luxury Australian bush experience - a unique blend of wildlife, dramatic natural beauty, conservation, heritage in a spectacular Australian bush setting, which can be explored through a range of activities including four wheel drives, heritage tours, wildlife spotting and horse riding. All meals are included in the tariff with a strong focus on regional and seasonal produce, and where possible organic ingredients are used. Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is a member of One&Only Resorts and Luxury Lodges of Australia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Prestigia and Jetsetter so you can book your Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wolgan Valley Resort And Spa
- Wolgan Valley Hotel Blue Mountains