“Food and service desperately require polishing!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley

Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolgan Valley
Blue Mountains Australia
“Food and service desperately require polishing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My partner took me here for my birthday. The setting is absolutely magnificent and the villas are probably one of the best we have ever stayed in. Great thought has been given to the decor and the bathrooms are just pure bliss with the spacious shower. The bed was just so comfortable and the night we stayed it was rather chilly so we turned the gas fire on, such a lovely touch.
It is clear that Emirates have spent a huge amount of money on the standard of furnishings and construction of the villas which is what one would expect at a resort of this standard.
Why have I given an average rating because the food and service is below par with the rest of the resort. We had lunch on arrival it was an awkward affair the waitress seemed indifferent and the pasta I ordered should have contained chilli.. well I don't know what happened to the chilli but there was absolutely none in the dish. Normally I would not comment on this but it seemed to be a precursor to dinner.
The menu at dinner consisted of one side with a series of small plates and one chose from the right hand side of the menu. The right side of the menu comprised fish, meat and other main course dishes. The small plates arrived on a tray and we helped ourselves.. the salads were tasty and seemed a good start to the meal. The mains arrived, my partner had ordered the scotch fillet and I had ordered the waygu patties note the use of the plural term. I received a patty which was luke warm whilst the scotch fillet was cold .. note all plates were cold. When does a restaurant use cold plates for hot food!! Both the cotch fillet and wagyu patty were served by themselves and needed somethinh like a sauce..... where was the sauce???
My partner was reluctant to send it back eventually we caught the eye of a waiter (more on waiter service in a minute) whose immediate response was that it was fresh and he could have it redone... was that reheated or a new fillet cooked? Sensibly my partner changed to the lamb cutlets which duly arrived hot and were good. Desserts were good certainly not outstanding, we ordered coffee which we had to prompt the waiter again only to be told he had forgotten the order.
From my observations at dinner the waiter and waitress all require training. Whilst there is a trend to informality the wait staff should not address guests as " ÿou guys" or as I overheard one to say "youse guys" absolutely appalling use of the English langauge especially when there are so many overseas visitors. The table we were allocated was underneath a light where the light bulb had blown and needed replacing as day turned to night we sat in increasing darkness. It was only when we asked could we have another candle that the waiter noticed the bulb had blown. No offer to relocate to another table.
The tables are small and are made worse by the fact the wait staff do not come to remove the finished plates instead waiting until they bring the next course out thus trying to juggle dirty plates as well as plated food. Breakfast was on similar par.
I have to say I was really disappointed with the food and service. This after all my birthday and I know my partner spent a large sum of money for the evening. For me the food, service and comfort are the important factors as to whether I enjoyed the stay and in this case I did not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Sallymay4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Korean first
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having read about this resort since its opening I recently was lucky enough to spend 2 nights at Wolgan Valley Resort and Spa with my husband. From start to finish I would rate this stay as the best ever! At check-in you are greeted with refresher towels and regional sparking wine (perfect way to start the day) and the process was smooth and professional. Emily who checked us in was lovely and asked all the right questions without being intrusive my husband mentioned it was an early wedding anniversary treat for us. Our room was divine with everything and more that you could possibly need the lap pool, double sided fireplace, four poster bed, and divine shower were just pure luxury. We did a wild life tour which was fun and the guide was very informative and knew the answers to all the questions that fly his way. Our meals were amazing and attention to detail in every way. The first night we ate the degustation menu which was just beautiful and at the end of the meal we were presented with a tray of beautiful truffles with a message of "Happy Anniversary". I also mentioned to the waiter that I loved the dessert (amazing Pineapple Tart Tartin with Salted Caramel sauce) and next morning during our gourmet breakfast he presented the recipe typed on out on a beautiful card. Its those little touches that make my heart sing! We didn't experience the Spa but we went bike riding, sat by the pool (beautiful views and tranquil atmosphere) and just spent time relaxing and taking in the beautiful scenery. From start to finish there is nothing I could fault about this beautiful resort - it was worth every cent! Do yourself a favour and put it on your bucket list!

Room Tip: All the "suites" were amazing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RozzieK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I entered the gates at the resort I knew I'd be taken care of.
5 star luxury in the bush. Our room was beautiful.the meals fantastic. The variety of food & portion was great. I never starved.the staff had a lot of knowledge & very professional.i can't wait to return. The only negative was the last 14km before you enter the resort is a dirt & gravel road. I was worried my car was going to get damaged.the last negative thing is the huge price tag it costs to stay there,even though its all inclusive.

• Stayed March 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed in January for a 2 night getaway, and would agree this is a stunning resort in breathtaking countryside. The rooms were decadent, and contained everything you could want. The outstanding parts first were, the welcome champagne whilst you checked in with cold towels, the service was friendly and the environment is incredible, There were some let downs, and when I say let downs I am saying this with the fact in mind that it is very very expensive so I had high expectations. The service whilst friendly needed to be a bit more polished, no one remembered names, you were not shown to a table at breakfast or lunch, they were not pro-active when it came to booking tours, in fact they were all full by the time we did. The major issue was the last night was a BBQ buffet for dinner, firstly I am not sure how you can pay over $1000 a night and be offered a BBQ buffet, which was very average and nothing like the first nights fine dining degustation that was great. So all in all, there is no denying this is a luxury resort but I really hope for the sake of both domestic and international visitors that are spending alot of money for a treat that they take the service up a notch to match the price tag.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank essendontvl
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is my second time to Wolgan Valley, the first was the day it was opened, and I eagerly looked forwrad to visiting again after Joost (General Manager) had been running it for a couple of years. WOW, the changes were what I believed would happen, but it always encouraging when that happens. The staff, which to me are probably the most important area were so attentive to my needs. From the moment I stopped at the main gates, they parked my rental car, and drove me on their vehicles to the main lodge. There Joost met me and the fun began. Fine food and wine, oversized suites (and I mean oversized - if you can book the 2 bedroom Wollemi Suite), activities and peacefulness all reign supreme at Wolgan! Go there!

Room Tip: Book the Wollemi 2 bedroom suite - superb.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed for a wonderful four nights in January. The accommodation was luxurious and has been really well maintained. During one of the very hot afternoons of our stay my partner lived in the plunge pool enjoying some of the complimentary beers, while I was content to just lounge inside gazing at the very pretty valley.

The included activities are great and, if you choose to participate, they will keep you busy. The tour guides are helpful, friendly and informative. Importantly you get the sense they are passionate about conserving the environment.

Food and wine was very good during our stay although, service in the dining room was often a bit sketchy. We put this down to the time of year but we were a bit surprised. Otherwise can’t complain. It was the perfect, albeit expensive, place to unwind for a few days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louiesaysrelax
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed in.Our 3 night stay was arranged less than 24 hours ahead, as the bad weather in the region disrupted our original travel plans, so we cut our losses and arranged our stay here.From the moment we were picked up in Sydney for the journey to Wolgan Valley, until our return to our Sydney hotel, everything was taken care of. the staff are friendly and efficient without being intrusive. the suite was one of the best, if not the best we have ever had, a lovely bedroom with very comfortable bed, double sided fireplace, large sitting room, huge bathroom, huge walk-in wardrobe, plus our own pool, screened porch sitting area,and outside sitting area.And of course a fridge full of drinks plus lots of snacks, and a Nespresso machine. the suite was serviced twice a day to a very high standard, and always when we were out or having meals. The guides are all very pleasant and knowledgeable, we enjoyed included excursions of a 2 hour creek walk, a van safari round the property ,with a very interesting talk on the management and history of it, and a night spotlight safari. We also walked for miles ourselves on the tracks ,and used the provided mountain bikes to go to more distant spots.
Wolgan Valley itself is absolutely stunning, a wonderful place, this is the true Blue Mountains. it is worth taking the bikes way down the tracks, and then just enjoying the wildlife that is everywhere, and the depth of the silence
We had a BBQ dinner the first night, it was excellent ,with a table of wonderful desserts to finish with, the other two nights we were happy with the menu choices,though it didnt change very much for the second night.If you stayed longer, perhaps more change in the menu would be good. Breakfast was excellent, we sat out on the terrace every morning ( we were always asked where we would like to sit, in or out, and it was never a problem to lay a table anywhere we chose.) Lunch was in the pool cafe, with a daily changing menu, there were always good choices, everything we had at lunchtime was delicious.
All in all an almost faultless stay. A small niggle given the high price per night, it would have been nice if our lunch had been included on our last day, and not charged for. But a wonderful 3 days in a beautiful part of the world, we won't forget our experiences there!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lithgow Workies Club Motel
The Bowen Inn Motel
The Bowen Inn Motel
#3 of 5 in Lithgow

Been to Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley? Share your experiences!