Have just spent 4 days at the Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa.This has been a bold venture by Emirate Airlines, but it really works.Its an easy 3 hour drive from Sydney CBD.When you arrive you park your car or whatever just inside resort gates and are picked up by a driver in a 4 wheel-drive .After arrival at the resort the first thing you notice is the grandure of the location.The resort is basically in a 'Y' shaped valley between 2 National Parks.Surrounding the resort are majestic sandstone escarpments .Hard to guess the height but would guess most are at least in the 100 to 150 metres range.From the bottom of the escarpments to the edge of the basically cleared valley there are great stands of trees, mainly gums.
The resort covers around 4000 acres,not sure what that is in hectares.
Because its between National Parks the resort is managed as a conservation reserve.Many activities are slanted towards this ie.Nature walks and bike rides,Australian versions of daytime and nocturnal safaris by vehicle.There is also horse riding.
Accommodation consists of separate villas, they range in size from one bed-room to to larger ones for families and groups.Each villa has a private lap pool.At the main resort centre there is also a very large pool.For those who like being pampered there is also a Spa.
I should mention the range of animals you will see here.
There are mobs of grey kangaroos,also wallaroos,the latter are black for males and grey for females.As a nice surprise the ones at this resort have a gene that produces albinos.On our walks and safaris we saw two of these.There are also red necked wallabys.
There are many varieties of birds ranging from Wedge Tail eagles to tiny Blue Wrens.The river that runs through the property also has Platypus.
The property also has a very large community of Wombats.To see these you will need to do the Nocturnal safari.
I should add that for those not wanting to walk from villas to main building to eat etc, there are plenty of buggies available to pick you up on request.
On the current packages the resort is basically all inclusive.The provisos here are that you drink the local wines ,mainly from Mudgee and Orange areas.I found these to be very good.An exception is Champagne (the real stuff) and cocktails etc which carry a separate charge.Prices for these were reasonable.
The food was excellent.Breakfast was either a buffet or basically same items ordered and bought to your table direct from kitchen.Lunch was in the restaurant on ground level, light dishes and very enjoyable.
Dinner was back in upstairs restaurant. Currently it is a degustation menu, over the 4 nights it changed and was very popular. In the future they will also be introducing an ' a la carte' menu as well.
I mentioned the Spa earlier ,if you check the current packages some include and hour fee Spa treatment (ie. a facial or massage) per person.
I notice that other reviews have mentioned the unsealed road into resort.Its around 14 Kilometres.I was told today that work to seal this section of road is due to start soon.
Finally the thing that makes a great hotel/resort, the staff.
Without exception at all levels the service was impeccable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley offers the rare opportunity to experience true luxury in a spectacular Australian bush setting. The property borders the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage wilderness region, just 190kms from Sydney. Nestled between two National Parks and spread out at the foot of towering cliffs, Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is set within its own private conservation and wildlife reserve. The resort itself occupies just two percent of the total land area of 7,000 acres and its design, reminiscent of traditional rural Australian homesteads, reflects a timeless appeal and a natural sense of place in the vast and dramatic landscape of the Wolgan Valley. The 40 individual suites each have their own private deck and indoor / outdoor swimming pool. The main homestead offers distinctive dining, luxury facilities and the stand-alone Timeless Spa features six double treatment rooms, and a range of signature treatments. The seclusion of Wolgan Valley creates a natural sanctuary where guests can relax and explore in unsurpassed luxurious comfort. This is the quintessential luxury Australian bush experience - a unique blend of wildlife, dramatic natural beauty, conservation, heritage in a spectacular Australian bush setting, which can be explored through a range of activities including four wheel drives, heritage tours, wildlife spotting and horse riding. All meals are included in the tariff with a strong focus on regional and seasonal produce, and where possible organic ingredients are used. Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is a member of One&Only Resorts and Luxury Lodges of Australia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wolgan Valley Resort And Spa
- Wolgan Valley Hotel Blue Mountains