“Amazing”

Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolgan Valley
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Had an amazing time! I think great value as a special treat for all the inclusions. We ate way too much-but everything was so good. There is lots to do but we just relaxed-went in between our personal pool -hard life. Everyone was so friendly. Only complaint-had to ask for a menu once-which they got straight away & service was great after that. Really happy:)

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Hidgi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed November 16, 2011

We had an absolutely amazing 2 night stay here. The venue is just breath taking and combine with very friendly staff who really made everything they could to make it as enjoyable as possible. This sure is a piece of heaven and now I just want to go back!

Also the beds feels like you are sleeping on a cloud, best hotel bed I have ever tried!

Room Tip: Stayed in unit 29, which was great and had a clear view out into the valley.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MustTravelMore_Now
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Utterly magical and exquisite! Wolgan Valley Resort is by far the most stunning holiday experience that I have ever had. The location is magnificent and the villas are utterly luxurious with adoring attention paid to even the smallest detail. You can immediately see that this resort has been developed with a great deal of love and care (and $140million we were told at dinner – which explains why every single aspect is pure quality).
We arrived to a complimentary bottle of champagne for our anniversary along with all the wines, beers, soft drinks and nibbles provided. Each cabin has a heated lap-pool overlooking the completely private bushland. We began our holiday sitting in our rocking chairs in our netted outdoor area, sipping champagne, and spotting wildlife. Bliss. Two mountain bikes are provided and I definitely suggest that you explore the surroundings on these.
I cannot even begin to describe how wonderful the staff members were. I hate to give names because I unfortunately cannot remember everyone and they were all wonderful but Simone was a simply incredible tour guide – so knowledgeable and friendly. Shane and Chantelle helped our 3 hour dinner to be a highlight for us (delectable food and great laugh). Carmen took us on an unforgettable horse ride and her manager (sorry can’t remember name) made us feel very welcome with a great sense of humour. Clementine welcomed us and made us feel immediately at home and didn’t even flinch when I accidentally set off the (incredibly loud) alarm in the sauna.
We are already planning our return. We get 1-2 nights off a year from our children for our anniversary and our plan to try as many resorts as possible has now been destroyed. Now that we have experienced Wolgan Valley, we are addicts. We are already discussing how this will be our yearly holiday until they are rolling us in on our wheelchairs. Trust me. You cannot beat this. Worth every cent but please do not only stay one night as it is excruciatingly painful to leave!

Room Tip: All amazing
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vashti C
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I have to admit when guru and I dirst saw Wolgan on the horizon our thoughts were, you've got to be kidding, a 5 star resort past Lithgow, that wont have a patch on the similar priced places in Aus we have stayed.

HOW WRONG WE WERE

WHY: Because we are tied down to being close to home due to a number of external issues, partly a HSC, partly elite sport fopr GS and partly because to head to the tropics you l;ose over a day in travel.

Getting there: Not sure exactly how long but we had plenty of time leaving Chez Guru just after .8.30am and stopping for an hour at Mt Tomah to roll in the gate a tad before 12.30pm. (2.24h from gate to home return on a Tuesday, M7, M5)

Met at the gate and a leisurely transfer over to the Wolgan 4WD. We took our AWD Subaru but the convertable could have coped with the road in (possible stone chips) so the beast was left undercover while we were taken off to heaven.

Now Guru forgot the garment bag (ooopssss) so no good shirt or dress pants, but managed to rustle up a shirt in the boutique and had his flashy jeans. Not 100% necessary but a T shirt at dinner IMHO would have dropped the ambience. Being female i packed 3x as many outfits as needed and the extra dresses fitted the requirements.

Check in: What can I say. We were offered tours etc and booked for that evening's wildife tour (we had a spa for Monday afternoon) then into our suite.

Followed with a great luch at the country kitchen.

Privacy reigned so we checked out the lap pool and the bed and then called for the cart to go on safari.. I was concerned about being cold so had the coat etc but no real need as the open air vehicle provided blankets etc.
Sunset canapes and sparkly on the deck to a disappointing sunset...too good and too clear a day, oh dear too bad ;)

Dinner: dont ask me what I ate, too many courses and great service, but I enjoyed evey morsel (lamb belly was so sweet)

Now I am trained NOT to sleep in so I was amazed that I woke after 7am! Comfy bed? Quiet? or Just plain fulfilled by the whole experience.

This put a spannner in the works as Day was mapped out
1. Bike ride
2. Guided Walk
3. Lunch
4. Swim
5. Heritage Walk
6. Spa
7. pool
8 Dinner

Wrll the sign of a great place is that planning doesn't always work, so scrap the bike ride ( too nice a breakfast). Amazing walk with lots of info about native creature.
Lunch that filled to beyond content.
A spa treatment that left guru happy (hard ask)
Pool (missed)
Sunset slipped in because the clouds filled th sky and tempted with pink and purple hues
Dinner every bit as good as the night before (consistency is important)

Snoozed again BUT..body clock kicked in and an early breaky needed. Made for a spectacular ride out along the creek s side followed bu a jacuzzi and then check out.

Negatives: isn't there always?
1. I waited so long to sample this slice of heaven
2.Didn't allow enough time...really would have like another night or 25
3. No Fish (cmon snorkel and dive and I'm hooked ...unfair! I know)
4. Too close to home...how soon can I manage another trip

Positives:
Getting there..no flights, no hassle
Rooms
Views
Exprerience
Privacy

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GurusW
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We, a family of four, spent the most amazing two days in Wolgan Valley. Words are somewhat inadequate to describe this experience, but we'll try!

Our stay started literally at the gate where we were invited to leave our day-to-day life behind. We were met by the very kind and professional staff who made us feel right at home. The staff is one of the many drawcards of the resort. They are interested in you in a genuine way and at the same time cater to your every need. Relaxation sets in the moment you leave your car behind at the gate.
The staff were actually many times a step ahead of us, making sure we didn't miss out on any of the attractions the resort has to offer. The kids were taken on a '4x4 wheel' drive buggy tour, we enjoyed the evening wildlife tour (with a very enthousiastic, knowledgeable and passionate guide), went mountainbiking and horse back riding.

The villa (we stayed in a two bedroom villa) is amazing. Everything we could have wished for, was there. The kids - 5 and 6 years old - found Anzac cookies with their name on it in chocolate, next to their beds! The pool is sheer bliss: it is lovely to enjoy the privacy as a family. The beds are more than comfortable and the finishings are all lovely.
It was almost hard to leave the villa to enjoy the 6-course dinner in the restaurant, but we are glad we did since the food and wine were divine. (Our children enjoyed a spaghetti bolognese beforehand which left us free to savour every single course!)

We thoroughly recommend Wolgan Valley resort. It might not be the cheapest option for a weekend away but you definitely get value for your money. The feeling of complete relaxation and the beauty of your surroundings coupled with the loving care of the staff: priceless!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank FamilieLeenheers
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Wnat to escape from it all? Want to dump your car, leave your cel phone behind, and yet be pampered in luxury, fine cuisine and superlative service? Want wildlife at virtually your door step yet sleep in total safety and comfort? Yes? Then checkout the Wolgan Valley Resort and Spa. If anything can be synonymous with escape, the Wolgan Valley is it. Oh, and don't forget to have a look at the Wollemi pine. T-Rex did.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and i stayed at the Wolgan Valley resort in December last year. We are both great fans of the Al Maha Desert Resort and were very excited to learn that Emirates opened another hotel with a similar concept in Australia. We travel every third year to Australia to visit my husbands family, and as last year was one of those third years we decided to give it a try for three nights. After a lengthy stop over in Phuket we took an overnight flight from Bangkok to Sydney, where we were picked up by the chauffeur which we had booked through Wolgan Valley. The drive is - even via the faster route - a three hour drive, which in my mind is not ideal when one is just stepping off a long haul flight, but it was bearable. When coming from Sydney, the hotel is located on the "far side" of the Blue Mountains, and is based in a wide valley. The architecture of the new homestead is doing the stunning surroundings justice and is beautifully furnished. The same goes for guest bungalows. There is one caveat: The idea of a plunge pool works quite well in Dubai, the logic for it in Wolgan Valley is elusive, at least to me. The old homestead has been nicely restored as well, and it is obvious that Emirates have spend a lot of money on the refurbishment of the property and wild life conservation.
However, whilst Al Maha seems to work like a well oiled machine, we couldn't fight the impression that Wolgan Valley was still trying to establish a routine; e.g. upon our arrival at Al Maha we were met by our wild life guide who ran us through the different activity options that were available to us, at Wolgan Valley we were asked to get in contact with reception at some stage during the afternoon in order to see what is available and when. Aside from the equestrian center there is nothing really obvious to do, as the hotel - other than for example the Lilianfels - is a long way away from everything. After we checked in, we were invited to grab some lunch, which we did. And this is where I struggle to stay objective: My husband's dish was ok, but the special I ordered was a fillet of steak and was very obviously off; one could even smell it. I made the mistake and tried to eat some of it in order not to annoy the chef, but it was a very costly mistake. I ended up with a massive food poisoning. The steak is unfortunately the only option, as I opted out of the airline food the night before, as I wanted to sleep, and didn't eat anything that could have caused it until lunch. I felt queasy at dinner, and was afterwards alternating my location between bed and washroom until the next evening. I forced myself to do the long ride through Wolgan Valley, and would recommend it to anyone, but I didn't really enjoy it that much, as I was feeling lousy. The lunch on the first day unfortunately put me off "normal" food for a while, hence, I can't really comment on the food that the hotel is serving; the beds are quite comfortable (I spent a lot of time in there), and room service is in working order. A slight disappointment was the response we got from the concierge, when we asked to change our transport from a chauffeured car to a helicopter, as I wasn't quite sure whether I would be lasting for three hours. Wolgan Valley offered to book the helicopter but made us aware of the fact that we still had to pay the car, as they have a 36 hour cancellation policy. Unfortunately I didn't have the energy to argue.
In summary I'd say: It is a nice enough hotel, location is beautiful, but it is a long way away from everything, and one has to rely on the hotel to provide an activity schedule.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Capertee
Cedar Lodge Cabins
Cedar Lodge Cabins
#2 of 2 in Mount Victoria

Been to Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley? Share your experiences!