Massanutten Resort
Residence Inn Harrisonburg(Harrisonburg)
$151
Residence Inn
1,872 results
All reviewswater parkpartial kitchenregal vistasfull kitchengo kartshorseback ridingchair liftsnow tubingpetting zoobumper carstoaster ovenactivity cardsthrough rcieagle tracerec centertimeshare tourwoodstone meadows
Reviewed September 2, 2007

While we had no lofty expectations, we were consistently and profoundly disappointed by our stay. Do yourself a huge favor and stay away!!!

To call this a "resort" misses the point -- it's actually a high throughput, run amok real estate development project where everything else -- especially guest convenience -- is an afterthought (or, in most cases, no thought). They even refer to it as a "Project" on the written material we received at check-in.

Let me give you some examples. When my family (of four from Princeton, NJ) checked in (at the base of the mountain where it was a total zoo caused by too many cars, too little parking, narrow driveways, and way too many people) we had to wait in line for nearly 20 minutes. Our car, which was parked out in the mayhem -- which passes for a parking lot -- got scratched when another (obnoxious, overweight) family parked too close and opened their door into ours.

Once up the mountain in our room, we quickly changed into our bathing suits to swim at the large and inviting outdoor pool directly in front of our hotel building (Building 5). We walked to the pool and got onto the deck and were about to jump in (it was a sunny, sticky 85 degrees outside) when the life guard blew the whistle and -- to our amazement -- closed the pool for the day (IT WAS ONLY 3:00 PM!!!!). A nearby pool (4 minute drive away) opened an hour later at 4:00 pm, but it was indoors and extremely crowded when we got there. This is but one of six separate and egregious examples of a total lack of customer service we experienced and that is endemic at this "resort".

Almost every question that I asked when booking my reservation (directly by phone to the hotel) was falsely answered. I asked if the Fun Park was open on Sunday. They told me yes, but the real answer in no. I asked if my 53 pound, 52 inches high twins were big enough to rent mountain bikes, I was told yes, but the answer was no when we showed up at the rental shop by the ski-lift (a HUGE disappointment that my kids are still griping about -- and the main reason we went to Massenutten). As we were only at the "resort" for one day, we basically could not do anything (except, almost get run over anywhere we went by the COUNTLESS time share sales tours ongoing at any moment). Don't even ask what happened when my electronic room key stopped working and I was locked out in my bathing suit.

I spoke to a manager upon checkout who just grinned and nodded when I related my experiences. No apologies, no concern or indication that they would look into any of this. Why should they even care because IT'S ALL ABOUT SELLING CONDOS AND TIME SHARES. I pity any fool who would purchase property at this "resort".

Do yourself a huge favor and STAY AWAY!!!!

8  Thank NJDEVO
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My family and I (My husband and I, 2 teenage boys, 2 twin toddlers, 1 teenage cousin and 1 teenage friend) just returned from a fantastic week at Massanutten Resort. We exchanged through RCI and usually go up a couple of times per year because we live in Maryland, right outside of Washington, DC. It's a close drive for us and we enjoy the mountains, the beauty, and the deer that roam freely. There is plenty for the kids to do, from the Waterpark, which is really nice, and according to the kids, better than Great Wolf Lodge, the go-karts, which were recently added, horseback riding, miniature golf, and the many pools (indoor and outdoor), and other activities. The resort is great during the fall because of the many trees, it's beautiful to see the changing colors. The winter is great because of the skiing and the snow tubing, which is what we do most. However, the summer is a blast for the kids. For the first time we stayed at Woodstone Meadows and the units were new and very spacious. The overall size seemed much bigger than the Summit, which is where we usually stay. All in all, it's a great resort for families and couples.

3  Thank Beanlong
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We loved our week-long stay at Massanutten's Summit Sunrise. We stayed from Aug 10 to Aug 17. The place is huge and has much to do within the resort.

I golfed three days on the resorts two excellent courses. We also hit the resort's water park, go kart track, tube slide, pools, kids parks and Fairways restaurant. There were many other things to do, including classes, but we also ventured out to see the Luray Caverns and Hedge Maze, and Shenandoah National Park, both must-dos in my opinion.

I bought the activities card, because I knew that I would break even, but we wouldn't have come close to recouping it for my wife and 3-year-old daughter. You would have to do a couple of different things a day to make your money back. It worked for my because I went golfing three days, hit the water park (50% discount), and used the tube slide. So don't get it unless you are active within the resort.

There weren't too many negative things. The biggest was, yes, you needed to drive to everything, so if one person was using the car, anyone else at home was stuck. Some of the units didn't have a full kitchen, but our upper level Sunrise unit did. There were a couple of parking problems near the check in area, but you'd find a space eventually.

I recommend Massanutten wholeheartedly, whether you have kids or not!! There is enough to do for all.

3  Thank mochand
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We booked a Woodstone N Unit (traded thru RCI) Aug 18-25. N units do not have stoves, but do have a griddle and an outdoor grill. We enjoyed a BBQ outdoors 1 nite.
With a 12 yr old boy, we bought 1 6-day waterpark ticket and 1 3-day ticket for Mom & Dad. Dad went twice and enjoyed the wave pool and squirting everyone! Mom liked the tube slides. Son enjoyed everything and stayed there as much as possible. He also enjoyed the arcade.
Activities were very good, go-karts and nosnow tubing were fun.
Indoor and outdoor pools were also fun and have a 10 minute adults only swim each hour.
We also went to Luray caverns, which were great.
Yes we had the timeshare hi pressure talk, but we're used to it and said no to everybody, no problem. We got $100 in Massanutten bucks a $20 restaurant card and a $20 fift card for it. It was worth it!
Room was very good 2br 2bath with jacuzzi. Everything worked fine. Bring plastic cups for the bathrooms.
Fareways restaurant was a little expensive; food was ok, not great. We ate at the waterpark buffet and it was very good indeed. Pizza at the onsite pizza place was good too.
We had a great time and would absolutely recommend it to everyone.

5  Thank turkeyhuntr
Reviewed August 11, 2007

My in-laws booked the resort through RCI and we were a bit nervous due to some negative reviews. The resort doesn't compare to the Welk resort in Temecula, California for beauty and style but was nice, nevertheless. The area is quite beautiful (the Shenadoah Valley) and green. Yes the road going in was too narrow for the traffic but widening construction was on-going. Our condo was the upper half of a split plan and therefore did not have an oven/stove, but I have to say that RCI clearly stated it was a partial kitchen. The microwave and hotplate served fine. My biggest issue might have been that there are at least five different resorts incorporated into the Massanutten Resort area and it caused some crowded moments. The golf courses are very nice but watch out for the geese! They (and the deer) are everywhere. That isn't necessarily bad but watch your step. There is a nice water park but expect to pay extra for it and for fishing, if you are interested. The area around the resort has numerous historical sites to visit and DC is not far away. Overall, I'd say it was worth visiting, dispite what many others have had to say. My Mother-in-law is VERY picky about where she stays and she was fine with the accommodations!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family