Massanutten Resort
QualityInn
Residence Inn Harrisonburg(Harrisonburg)
$119
1,824 results
All reviewswater parkpartial kitchenregal vistasfull kitchengo kartshorseback ridingchair liftsnow tubingpetting zoobumper carstoaster ovenactivity cardsthrough rcieagle tracerec centertimeshare tourwoodstone meadows
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were given two nights at the Massanutten resort hotel and we stayed in building 5. This was supposed to be "updated." Yes the view was amazing, the balcony was great, but the bed was older than sin, the carpet smelled like a frat party gone wild, the linens were frayed, and the pillows were like rocks.

When I kindly asked for the "updated" rooms I was told this was the best they had and if I was not satisfied I could move to another building at a HUGE price increase.

Nope........never again. Don't be fooled.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Gail R
Reviewed October 5, 2012

PROS -My wife and I are owners of a timeshare unit at Woodstone properties in Massanutten Resort. We have been about 6 years. For the past four years we have taken our four year old grandson with us. Our week is the third week in Sepember which for us is a good for us. There are activities for the children. Two outdoor and two indoor pools,there is two arcades, playgrounds. For adults it is a typical resort with golf, three courses, a nice workout area, mountain biking, messages, manicures, etc. In the winter there is skiing. There is a decent restraunt on the property with entertainment. I can only attest to Woodstone property we occupy. It is well maintained. Like many times shares there is not an overabundance of kitchen utensils. There is a closet on the first floor which is scared by both first and seconds floor occupants. The first floor as the normal kitchen equipment. The second floor had a grill, toaster over, hot plate. We found there was not really any need for more. A king sized bed in the master bedroom, two twins in the second bedroom, a sleeper sofa, two baths, gas fireplace.

One must have a car to get full access to the entire resort. Also a car is needed if one wishes to go to the waterpark nearby. There is restrauant (buffet) at the waterpark. There is also an arcarde there. If you wish to There is no shuttle bus service.

I read about complaints about pressure selling. The only reason one would be the victim of pressure selling would be if one would agree to participate in the sales presentation. There is no pressure except if you agree, then be prepared for two hours. One must decide if the hundred dollars or whatever if worth the time.

CONS- No shuttle service, pretty expensive overall, nothing is free unless you buy a ninety nine dollar activity card per person. There is no flexibility in the units even if there are units available. Example: I asked if we would be able to switch our upstairs unit to a downstairs unit. I explained that we have an active four year old grandson who is very active and if someone occupies the first floor it would be very disturbing to them. I was told there is no exceptions even if there were first floor units available. I might add the people downstairs were not happy at the end of the week. Customer service could be better.

Room Tip: Get groceries store 5 miles away. Take a look at the activity card it might save money. Bottom floor can be noisy there are children upstairs. If you do not wish to have someone pressure you in a sales pitch, say no when they offer you one hundred dollars. Two hours minimum.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank drs1231
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have a hard time seeing how this resort can be ranked less than 4 stars by anyone who has been to many RCI member locations. I have been to a number of RCI 'resorts' that were nothing but glorified hotels/motels or condos, even if fairly nice. Very few have anywhere near the activities this park does, nor are the size in square miles. There is even a wilderness area on the west side. Not only the amenities (2 golf courses, pools, indoor/outdoor water park, skiing, restaurants, grocery, trails, etc.), but they often have entertainment such as magic or comedy shows, scheduled activities such as various crafts, water aerobics, art, photography class, etc., of which I have participated in my 2 visits there. We are back this year for a third time! Yes, these activities usually have a nominal fee ($5-15 for most), but worth it. The skiing & water park are a bit expensive, but less than most throughout this country. The units I have been in are clean & well kept, and the resort itself (and the area in which it is located) is gorgeous. I would suggest visiting a few of the very good wineries in the area on a day drive, as well as a cavern tour or two (Luray is a nice day drive and is one of the best caverns in the USA to visit, although 'touristy' (I have been through at least 10 caverns in various states), and it has a great car museum included in the admission. There are several others to visit nearby as well. The Civil War museum at New Market north of Harrisonburg was a real surprise---really excellent (much better than Manassas), and inexpensive. Staunton is a neat town south of Harrisonburg, and has a cool village nearby with 17th century buildings from England & the US (actual ones, not copies) with workers wearing costumes of that era (also inexpensive admission). Monticello & The U of Virginia gardens are not to be missed if possible, and James Madison's home is a good tour as well. Depending on the season there is river rafting nearby as well, although I have not been there during those seasons. All in all, a great place to visit. I want to mention that I am a member there, but do not feel this violates the Trip Advisor 'relationship' test agreement, as I am very objective, and have not been asked to give a review by anyone, nor gain personally from a positive review. I have not stayed in the 'motel' on this site, only in the time-share condos, as I indicated above. I have stayed in RCI member locations in Canada, Hawaii, & California as well, and visited (but not stayed at) a few other locations as well.

Room Tip: Have stayed in the Summitt area & Woodstone, and both were very nice. The full kitchen rooms are clearly larger and more useable, & I would request one if available. The restaurants are expensive, so I would go to Elkton, about 4 miles away or so, to eat out (the Italian restaurant was very good, for instance; there is also a large grocery store in Elkton for best prices on groceries. Harrisonburg is a city, and not too far to go for theaters, more shopping, etc, if you need.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank nixster
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Woodstone, our 2 bedroom condo was very spacious and clean. We had a mountain view from the front balcony and golf course view from the back balcony. We are looking forward to returning with family next time. We got a couple of messages asking if we were interested in a timeshare presentation and one call in person. We declined and that was the end of it, no big pressure. We drove the northern half of the Skyline drive, amazing views, we'll do the other half next time. Lots to do and lots to see!

Room Tip: The Woodstone was on fairly level ground, some of the other condos withinthe resort were built on the side of the mountain.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Donna L
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I spent a week here recently for our 25th wedding anniversary. We both thought the resort was very good. This was our first time in the area so we really looking for a place to stay so we could get out and see all the things the area provided. The resort does seem to provide just about anything for the entire family. The only negative thing was the food at the restaurants we felt could have been better. We did find a great place to eat across the road at the entrance to the resort on Hwy 33 called Shyline Cafe. We thought the food there was excellent for breakfast, lunch or dinner (Thursday - Saturday).

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple