“Home away from home”
Review of Soma Surf Resort

Soma Surf Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Popoyo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

There are not nearly enough superlatives to describe our experience at Soma. From start to finish the attention to detail, quality, comfort, friendliness and general great vibes washed over us. Booking was a snap. Not all places in Nicaragua take credit cards, Soma does... easy! Our driver Eddy was there waiting for us with a huge enthusiastic smile on his face. We stopped on the drive to look at monkeys and take in many sights. On arrival Casey welcomed us, showed us to our bungalow and generally began the non stop process of making us feel comfy and at home.

The facility is classy, understated and GORGEOUS! the beds are superb, the linens soft and everything is top notch. The staff is friendly, accommodating, prompt and totally professional. At the same time they made us feel like we were old friends. Without exception Casey and Bill have chosen wonderful people to create an oasis at Soma. The food is innovative, plentiful and delicious. The people from outside of Soma that come in to do massage and yoga classes are awesome. First class all the way.

Bill returned from the US mere weeks after knee surgery. Do you think that stopped him from being and ever patient surf teacher and all around generous and welcoming host.... NO WAY!
There are many places that you could stay in the Popoyo area. None of them have Bob, Luke, Jose, Rafa or any of the other incredible people that Soma does. If you have a taste for flair or a flair for taste there is no substitute.

Thank you for a wonderful vacation Soma!

Room Tip: The bungalows are gorgeous and quite large. For those on a more limited budget the standard rooms ar...
Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Soma Surf Resort

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My mom and I booked Soma Surf Resort for a mother/daughter getaway because I wanted to learn to surf. We knew they offered yoga and surf lessons in a serene, untouched setting. That's all we knew. We didn't read any reviews. We did little research. It was more than we ever imagined. The resort and rooms are more expansive than the pictures. The food is delicious - the tropical pancakes, papaya, eggs, burger, and the mojito is not to be missed! The staff are accommodating and kind. The dogs - Rudy and Donnelly - are the best! I recommend having an en suite massage. My mom and I talked about the massage for weeks.

Casey and Bill will plan your days as busy or as relaxing as you want. They offer suggestions and are very laid back - reminding you that you can have an adventurous packed vacation that feels very easy and relaxing. Their attention is unparalleled. Sometimes my mom and I wished Casey didn't have to help other guests so we could hang out with her all day!

And Bill. I have a special shout out for Bill - the world's best surf instructor. Some of my favorite times on vacation were hanging out with him in the water. He is patient and encouraging. He teaches you how to read the water and cues you as you stand up. He gets excited when you succeed and reads your exhaustion level like a pro. I am a surfer for life because of Bill!

We will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank emmadinz
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We enjoyed our time at Soma. Excellent time lounging around the beautiful pool, fantastic and friendly staff. The site is truly gorgeous and intimate. Next time we visit we may rent a vehicle so we can more easily head down to beaches and local restaurants.
Even though our kids are generally scared of dogs, they keep talking still talk about how much they loved Sammy the puppy.

Room Tip: our bungalow was stunning
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I read all the great reviews of Soma in planning our family surf vacation, and was surprised to find not a bad word anywhere in 50+ reviews. Not possible! But Soma proved even better, way better than the photos and reviews. The surfing was great for my husband and son; three breaks near the resort, a great selection of short boards and fun boards to rent, fast uncrowned waves, and guides for surfers of all levels. Don’t want to surf? Boogey boarding, yoga, beach walks, trips to colonial cities and volcanoes all easily available. Highlights of Christmas day were a beach walk to view sea turtles hatching and an evening lobster feast for everyone at the resort. Delightful surprises we never expected.

Casey and Bill were the ideal hosts and they paid careful attention to every guest’s wishes. The Soma staff was excellent – everyone from Eddy who takes most of the driving duties for airport pickups and excursions to cities, to the kitchen staff we never saw but whose handiwork was so tasty. Really, go for it – Soma exceeds expectations all around.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Soma Surf Resort is a small, beautiful, and delightful place to be. You can start with Bill and Casey, the owners, who are wonderful. Then there's Eddy, one of the staff; and all of the kitchen staff and Jose the gardener, and on and on. As beautiful as everything looks on the website, it's more beautiful when you are there. The beaches you go to (short trip) are amazing. The bungalows are everything you would want and need and the food is fresh and delicious. Every aspect of the layout of the resort is well though out - the hammocks, the pool. You can take a trip to the cigar factory and chocolate museum in Granada, or go the refuge and help the sea turtles make it safely to the ocean. Try a yoga class and definitely get a massage. On your trip down bring some books for the local school library, or some school supplies. We would go back over and over again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I will never forget my experience at Soma Resort. I arrived late at night and had a wounderful first night of sleep. Waking to the sunrise I opened by doors to my new bungalow with a beautiful bathroom and could not believe where I landed. It was a new world of moutnain breezes and crisp ocean air. I surfed everyday, had a wounderful yoga instructor that stretched me and met really interesting people from Wasahington D.C to Los Angeles to New York. The food was amazing, with the freshest fish and the best yuca fries. The staff was five star, very friendly and was trained as it was a five star hotel. I felt like I hit the lottery as I actually extended my stay for almost another week. The mangement was better than five star and made you like you were family. It is such a short trip from South FLorida that i will be making the return often. If sounds like a advertisement it is in some ways as I feel I should let people know that Soma Surf Resort is a wounderful place close to my heart.

Room Tip: The bunglows are the way to go.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Soma exceeded every expectation that I had from the moment Eddie picked us up at the airport in Managua until the sunday we boarded the plane (sadly) back to the states. Bill and Casey are two of my favorite people and they have done an extraordinary job of making Soma a true "getaway." The service, food, drinks, hospitality, amenities, and overall atmosphere of Soma and those who work with Bill and Casey made my trip to Nicaragua with friends a truly unforgettable experience. The bungalow we stayed in was perfect, very spacious and comfortable. The food and drinks were fresh and tasted amazing - get the mojito - it is perfect and unlike any you will have in the states. Bill's surfing expertise provided us with 3 fun (exhausting) days of surfing while we took in the beautiful view of Nica's beaches & mountains. The pool and hammocks were 2 of my favorite places to hang out before & after surfing, boxing, practicing yoga, and receiving a massage. This place is literally a hidden treasure - very special, created by really special people. I would suggest staying longer than you think you should, as you will NOT want to leave once you are there. Bill, Casey, and all of their staff really make you feel at home. What a great trip and great memories! I will be returning and highly suggest visiting as soon as you can.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
#1 of 4 in Playa Marsella
HulaKai Hotel
HulaKai Hotel
#1 of 3 in Playa Maderas

Been to Soma Surf Resort? Share your experiences!