All reviews other guests dry season exceeded our expectations food and drinks tidal pools fishing village gracious hosts tostones an oasis the food is great gorgeous infinity pool tortillas can't wait to go back mag rock ceviche yoga classes every guest
Reviewed December 3, 2012

When you choose a place as well reviewed as Soma you arrive with pretty high expectations. Soma, owned and run daily by Bill and Casey, exceeded those expectations in every way during our stay.

Visiting with my husband and two children (ages 11 and 9), we stayed through Thanksgiving. Upon arrival, we were amazed how little the pictures, as gorgeous as they are, do justice to the resort and surrounding views.

For the resort itself, the rooms were ideal. We stayed in one of the bungalows which was perfectly appointed. Our initial worry was that we would find ourselves too confined to the resort as Nicaragua offered less tourist infrastructure than we found on our last trip to Costa Rica. Had that been the case, we would have been fine. The views were gorgeous. The hammocks offered perfect breezy naps. The staff (Eddy, Max, Rafa) was unfailingly polite, fun and helpful. The kids, in particular, enjoyed trading their fractured Spanish with the staff's much better English.

Soma, of course, has a restaurant, but that really doesn't describe it. It is more like having access to a private chef throughout your waking hours. The food and drink never disappointed - not once.

However, we weren't confined to the resort. We went to Nicaragua to enjoy the country and the opportunities it offered. Surfing - my son loves it, and Bill made sure every trip we made was well planned, telling us (actually taking us) to the best breaks depending upon time of day and tides. When my son wanted to surf Popoyo, a single break that can get a little crowded, Bill went in the water to block so our 11 year old could get his rides. We didn't ask him to or expect him to. He just did. Horseback riding - Casey set it up almost before we even asked. Sore after hiking the Volcano - Casey arranged great massages with Bary, whose three little girls were great playmates for our daughter. In fact, anything we were interested in, Bill and Casey were ready with helpful suggestions, recommendations and tips.

By departure, my husband and I actually wondered aloud whether Bill and Casey do too much and are too accommodating, not that we minded. We just want to be able to return asap and hope they don't get burned out!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Do not miss the opportunity to see Nicaragua beacause you don't know where to stay. This is the place. It is really off the beaten path. Awesome for surfing for my 15 year old son but my 14 year old daughter had equally good time. The resort arranged for fishing, horseback riding, local excursions including zip lining, cigar factory, coffee plantation. Casey and Bill, the owners, provided personalized service that can't be equalled. I am particular for my accommodations, and travelled extensively in central America. This was my favorite trip. Both of my kids want to go back with their friends. That is the strongest endorsement for a couple of California teens.

Room Tip: The bungalows were a little more spacious and worth the nominal additional expense. Go to Yolanda's a local restaurant for authentic cuisine in a rustic setting.
Reviewed November 21, 2012

You know when you are trolling the net looking at photos of Hotels,resorts etc? All look pretty good eh? Then when you arrive, S@#t ,not how it looked online..?? Well what if you booked somewhere and it was 10 times better than it looked on the bloody Internet? Enter Soma Surf Resort. I spent 8 nights in November and believe me when I say ,don't hesitate, just stay here!I felt guilty for the care I got compared to what it cost .........From fast Eddies pick up at the airport, Mad Max's spanish lessons, the food, the surf hell i'm goin back now

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I came to Nicaragua to celebrate my 50th birthday and enjoy empty waves with my 11 year old son. We had an amazing experience. Bill and Casey took care of everything. All we had to do was show up at the airport. They have created a place like no other -- and I have traveled throughout Central America. The rooms were spotless, the food fresh and delicious, the staff kind and helpful. I look forward to returning soon. Thanks Bill for being so great in the water with my son, and Casey for making everything effortless.

Room Tip: All rooms are pristine. I would have no problem with any of them. Some bungalows are more removed from the main area.
1  Thank Gordon G
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was truly the highlight of our trip to Ncaragua. We spent 3 nights there with along with two of our friends and all of us talked about how we should come back and bring all our other friends here. The food and service was excellent. Casey, Bill and the staff were amazing hosts! It was great that Bill was willing to take us pretty much anywhere we desired to show us the true beauty of the Popoyo area, still very rustic and untouched. The bungalows were beautiful and very spacious!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends