All reviewsother guestsdry seasonexceeded our expectationsfood and drinkstidal poolsfishing villagegracious hoststostonesan oasisthe food is greatperfect temperaturegorgeous infinity pooltortillascan't wait to go backmag rockcevicheyoga classes
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My son and I had a fantastic time staying, eating and surfing at Soma. Meals were inexpensive and very well prepared. I went fishing and the chefs cooked up a Sierra Mackerel I caught that ranked at the top of seafood dinners I've ever eaten.
Casey and Bill have an incredible assistant, Eddy, who somehow gets to the airport to meet you, and drives your rental 4x4 back to the resort. He was very, very helpful. He also led us back to the airport in his truck, and took some back roads, due to the heavy traffic, in order to get us there in time.
Soma was booked for the last two nights of our stay, so we reserved a room at the Playa Iguanes. It cost nearly twice as much, and was not as nice- although it was right on the beach. No restaurant.
Bill and Casey are very conscientious, helping guests with late plane arrivals or any other problems that may crop up. Soma is almost brand new with spacious rooms (AC), infinity pool and beautiful view. I highly recommend it. Marty and Dan

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pointer1_12
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed a week at SOMA Surf Resort in July 2012,
My Husband surfed every day & loved every minute of it, The Resort was great for me as well, being a non-surfer every one leaves to go surfing all day & I have my own private pool & staff all day. the food is awesome & the staff makes you feel very welcome, Owners Bill & Casey go out of there way to make your stay perfect, the Bungalows are so very nice, very modern with large showers & bathroom, comfortable beds, already planning our next trip back, Thanks again, Bill & Casey, and the airport pick up is a must, on time & very friendly Thanks Eddy :-)
SEE YOU SOON :-) Robynn & David Florida USA

Room Tip: I prefer the private Bungalows awesome !!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I'm late 30s from NYC, and spent a lot of time reading reviews on the perfect place to spend 8 days while surfing somewhere in Central America.. Soma came up as part of my search.. some thoughts below, but headline is this place is breathtaking.. there's not a ton to do there except relax, but its the PERFECT place to relax..

Eddie (works for Casey) picked us up from Granada.. really nice guy, young, speaks perfect english.. took about 1.5-2 hours on a half paved, half dirt road to get to soma.. but well worth the trip..

my friend and i stayed in one of the bungalows for most of the time (except for a couple days in the deluxe rooms - the owner Casey was great about EVERYTHING- bungalow wasn't available for our entire stay, but the move was seamless).. the bungalows are more spacious, and down a few steps from the pool and restaurant area.. All accommodations are impeccably clean, and they cool off very quickly with the fans and air conditioning.. something about the construction and insulation makes the air temperature extremely comfortable in the rooms. Shower always had hot water.. Beds are amazingly comfortable.. everything about the rooms is 5 star. I liked the deluxe room a little better because it was closer to the pool / dining area, but only by about 30 steps.. and because the bathroom was an enclosed room - versus the bungalow where there were sliding doors and a wall separating the bedroom from the the bathroom but you can hear over the wall - but its a super cool layout and both accommodations are superb..

Restaurant was basically open from 7am to whenever we ordered dinner. Everything we ate was great- all the fruit juices were amazing.. fruit was always fresh.. same as the fish.. the pancakes were out of this world good.. eggs delicious, as was hummus.. everything was made from scratch.. ONE SUGGESTION: there's not a proper grocery store in the area, so if you like snacks (i.e. cookies/granola bars/etc), bring them with you.. with 3 meals a day we never really needed them, but just pointing out in case you like to snack between meals.
There's a cooler in the restaurant always stocked with water, soda and beer.. and there's a water cooler we used to refill bottles. not sure if you drink the tap there, assume not, but wasn't an issue.

Staff was top notch.. super nice, well mannered and kind, warm people.. Casey was always around to make sure everything went smoothly. Staff speaks mostly spanish (except for eddie, who speaks english), so helpful if you have a little guide book with common expressions.. but unnecessary, as you can point to the menu or just ask Casey.. but its fun to communicate with the locals so i'd suggest trying the language out.

while we were there, other guests were great.. really nice group that had dinner together every night (8-10 of us total).. this place attracts like minded people.. super kind, well traveled, easy going.. we formed friendships while here.. Wifi is in the restaurant area only, not in the rooms.. connection was a little slow but fine for our purposes.. but you probably won't be streaming movies there- but I'd hope you wouldn't want to be, the scenery is surreal.

The rancho at the high point of the grounds has 3 hammocks and is killer for naps and hanging out.. we took 1 hour naps there every day.. they do yoga there too.. it may be the most peaceful place i've ever been.. with incredible views of the valley and nice sunsets.. NOTE the whole property is perched up on a hill.. you are NOT within walking distance to the ocean, 7-10 minute drive.. but there are lots of advantages to this: 1) you get nice cross winds, its breezy.. 2) less buggy, beach can have more mosquitos.. i didn't even wear bug spray on soma, but i think it depends on time of year. 3) the view is amazing in all directions... and u can see the ocean in the distance..

the infinity pool is heaven.. we spent an hour a day or more in it.. amazing views of the valley from it.. u can swim whenever.. also the grounds are kept impeccably clean, gardeners always doing work.. it really is paradise.

the surfing -> about a 7-10 min ride in the truck with the boards (good selection of boards to choose from, mine was 6'10 and my buddy's slightly bigger) its a great spot to surf because you get pretty consistent off shore winds from lake nicaragua.. tho it turned before we got there, first 3 days weren't good.. which i think was unusual for this area.. last 5 days ranged from decent to very good, small but we definitely had a few fun days.. we surfed 4 spots while i was there: we are intermediate, best spot was popoyo, which is on a reef.. moderately crowded while i was there. the rest were beach breaks which are spread out and very uncrowded- Bill and Luke take you to the breaks.. note they are surf Guides, not really instructors. I think they offer surf lessons, but my impression is they're primarily guides that will watch conditions and take you to the spots with the best chance of good waves that day.. both are good guys that go out and surf with you, and they'll spend as much time at the beach as you want to stay. very easy going, enjoyed our time with them

we did yoga on the beach one night, enjoyed.. walked to a hostel/restaurant on a cliff, cool.. and went to the hot springs, small but i'm generally a fan of these so enjoyable.. my advice, ride in the back of the pickup truck if you can at least once, we didn't realize how fun this was until the last few days, but rode in the back after the hot springs.. others did yoga more, and horseback riding, which seemed cool..

Bill and Casey are the perfect hosts.. Casey is on top of EVERYTHING.. she's incredibly responsible and accountable, and u can tell has a corporate background.. but at the same time, she's got a very calming demeanor that you'd want at a place like Soma.. She's very chill and literally makes sure every second of your stay is great.. Can't say enough good things about our 8 days at Soma..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NYC_fella
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Unmatched service, style and overall hospitality! Spectacular views, breezes and entire ambience is magnificent. Sophisticated San Francisco style combined with authentic local casualness. Best food and service anywhere in Nicaragua.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karinda L
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I recently visited Soma for dinner. We were impressed with everything from the food to the decor to the service. Casey; the owner, took us on a wonderful tour of the resort and fed us a wonderful meal. This resort is cute, intimate and modern comfort at its best. Visit Soma; you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple