All reviewsother guestsdry seasonexceeded our expectationsfood and drinkstidal poolsfishing villagegracious hoststostonesan oasisthe food is greatperfect temperaturegorgeous infinity pooltortillascan't wait to go backmag rockcevicheyoga classes
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I recently visited Soma for dinner. We were impressed with everything from the food to the decor to the service. Casey; the owner, took us on a wonderful tour of the resort and fed us a wonderful meal. This resort is cute, intimate and modern comfort at its best. Visit Soma; you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Just came back from a weeklong trip at Soma Surf Resort. It was the perfect combination of surf, relaxation and adventure. Our bungalows were luxurious. Every meal was delicious and Casey and Bill were the perfect hosts. They catered to our every need, (set up yoga, booked surf excursions and sightseeing.) Their hospitality made us feel like we were family, (I didn't even miss my dog because I got to hang with Penguino, Rudy and their cats all week.)
There were spectacular views, gorgeous sunsets and the best mojitos we ever had. My husband could go out on early morning surf excursions with Bill, while I slept in and lounged by the infinity pool. Some days we relaxed all day at Soma's pool. Other days we ventured out with Eddie driving our rental truck to see the country and attractions, such as the city of Grenada, beautiful beaches, (like Playa Maderas,) Lake Nicaragua and San Juan Del Sur. We had a great time with Eddie, Soma's knowledgeable, genuine and funny tour guide. Eddie made traveling around Nicaragua sightseeing easy and fun. If you are looking to explore Nicaragua and go to beautiful beaches, we recommend renting a 4x4 vehicle.
This vacation was different from any other trip we have ever taken and I would highly recommend this resort for couples who want a mix of relaxation, surfing, yoga, delicious cuisine, tasty cocktails and sightseeing. Thanks for the perfect trip, Casey, Bill and Eddie.
From Craig and Stacey, New York.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed for three days in April 2012 and have absolutely nothing other than the most positive things to say about Soma.

From the moment we got there we were welcomed by the owners and managers, Casey and Bill - who are the most lovely couple who have designed, built and operate a stunning resort.

Food is amazing, accommodation is new, modern and luxurious and it is a wonderful resort if you want to surf, go on the various activities or, as we did, just totally chill out and relax.

We miss being there and make sure you get a cuddle from Rudy, one of the hotel's biggest attractions - Casey and Bill's beautiful dog!!!

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I won a trip here. Neither one of us surf, but after visiting I found out you don't need to surf to have a great time.

The resort itself is beautiful. We stayed in one of the private bungalows, 2 queen beds, 2 sinks, huge shower. We weren't exactly sure what to expect for food, but were pleasantly surprised. Everything was fresh - for breakfast I loved the tropical pancakes. For lunch and dinner my wife and I would have to choose whether to start with the ceviche or the hummus. By the end of our stay we just gave up and ordered both. We don't usually eat meat but we did try the hamburger sliders which tasted just as good as they looked. For the most part we stuck with the fish (which was delivered in the morning by the fisherman down the road). always fresh and always delicious. Also, I learned to love Yucca fries -- less greasy than potato fries.

For activities, we went shopping in Grenada (we rented a car and used a driver (Eddie -- be sure to ask for Eddie :-) )from the resort to get us around), one of the oldest cities in the Americas. It's about 1 1/2 hours from the resort. Lots of local crafts and shops.

Another day we went sportfishing. We actually each caught a fish (jack fish). The fisherman filleted them for us and packed them in ice. we took our catch back to the resort where they made fish tacos for us!

A third day was spent horseback riding. They bring the horses right up to the resort. We spent about 3 hours riding down along and on the beach. That evening we drove over to Magnific Rock for drinks and a spectacular view of the sunset.

On our final day, we had Eddie drive us to the Mombacho vocano where Adrienne went zipling and I did not. She had a great time, as did I waiting for her at the base where there was plenty of beer...

I know this is a surf resort, but I was just as happy not to surf because there was so much more to do :-) We couldn't have enjoyed they stay, the hospitality and the experience anymore than we did. If you go, say hello to Casey and Bill for us.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave and Adrien... S
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Soma is perfection... located among blooming flowers and swaying palms, it overlooks the pacific from a well situated perch. Spend your days pool side with a mojito in hand (literally the best mojito I've ever had), or freshly prepared iced jamaica tea. Or, lounge in a hammock, cooled by the off-shore winds, and watch the ever-changing sky. Craving activity? Brian will take you to the best surf breaks, and afterwards you can soak in the local hot spring pools (and I mean authentic -- no tourist traps here). We didn't stay long enough to enjoy a horseback ride along the beach, but the horses are healthy and well cared for, so I imagine this would be a pleasurable ride. And when it's time to eat, the food is fresh and tasty-- wash it down with a cold Tona!

My husband and I have traveled to Nicaragua several times, but this was our first time in the Tola region. It's gorgeous, like the rest of the country, but there's something special at Soma. It's a secluded oasis, yet a few minutes drive to the beach for surf and breathtaking pacific views. It's low key and inviting, yet nicely appointed and very comfortable... All the fixings without the fuss. Tola has an untouched charm, and at least while we were there in February, the tourists were few and far between and you never felt one bit crowded. In fact, we hiked to the nearby tidal pools along a sprawling empty beach-- nothing but crashing waves. Sunsets are stunning-- ask the Soma crew to take you to "Magnific Rock". And I can't rave enough about the staff-- they are fantastic! Casey was a fabulous, accommodating host, and on top of her gracious hospitality, she made our day (twice!) with an upgrade and free ride to Tola. (Thank you again, Casey!) Brian, Eddy, Will, Gloria... and everyone on the staff was very friendly and really made us feel welcomed. It's a small place, so every guest is treated with care. We left the place completely smitten - I hope we can return in the not too distant future!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with anything here-- the bungalows are very well appointed, and from what we saw, the other rooms are also very well done. Everything is central on the lush grounds surrounding the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple