All reviews other guests dry season exceeded our expectations food and drinks tidal pools fishing village gracious hosts tostones an oasis the food is great gorgeous infinity pool tortillas can't wait to go back mag rock ceviche yoga classes every guest
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed for three days in April 2012 and have absolutely nothing other than the most positive things to say about Soma.

From the moment we got there we were welcomed by the owners and managers, Casey and Bill - who are the most lovely couple who have designed, built and operate a stunning resort.

Food is amazing, accommodation is new, modern and luxurious and it is a wonderful resort if you want to surf, go on the various activities or, as we did, just totally chill out and relax.

We miss being there and make sure you get a cuddle from Rudy, one of the hotel's biggest attractions - Casey and Bill's beautiful dog!!!

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I won a trip here. Neither one of us surf, but after visiting I found out you don't need to surf to have a great time.

The resort itself is beautiful. We stayed in one of the private bungalows, 2 queen beds, 2 sinks, huge shower. We weren't exactly sure what to expect for food, but were pleasantly surprised. Everything was fresh - for breakfast I loved the tropical pancakes. For lunch and dinner my wife and I would have to choose whether to start with the ceviche or the hummus. By the end of our stay we just gave up and ordered both. We don't usually eat meat but we did try the hamburger sliders which tasted just as good as they looked. For the most part we stuck with the fish (which was delivered in the morning by the fisherman down the road). always fresh and always delicious. Also, I learned to love Yucca fries -- less greasy than potato fries.

For activities, we went shopping in Grenada (we rented a car and used a driver (Eddie -- be sure to ask for Eddie :-) )from the resort to get us around), one of the oldest cities in the Americas. It's about 1 1/2 hours from the resort. Lots of local crafts and shops.

Another day we went sportfishing. We actually each caught a fish (jack fish). The fisherman filleted them for us and packed them in ice. we took our catch back to the resort where they made fish tacos for us!

A third day was spent horseback riding. They bring the horses right up to the resort. We spent about 3 hours riding down along and on the beach. That evening we drove over to Magnific Rock for drinks and a spectacular view of the sunset.

On our final day, we had Eddie drive us to the Mombacho vocano where Adrienne went zipling and I did not. She had a great time, as did I waiting for her at the base where there was plenty of beer...

I know this is a surf resort, but I was just as happy not to surf because there was so much more to do :-) We couldn't have enjoyed they stay, the hospitality and the experience anymore than we did. If you go, say hello to Casey and Bill for us.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave and Adrien... S
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Soma is perfection... located among blooming flowers and swaying palms, it overlooks the pacific from a well situated perch. Spend your days pool side with a mojito in hand (literally the best mojito I've ever had), or freshly prepared iced jamaica tea. Or, lounge in a hammock, cooled by the off-shore winds, and watch the ever-changing sky. Craving activity? Brian will take you to the best surf breaks, and afterwards you can soak in the local hot spring pools (and I mean authentic -- no tourist traps here). We didn't stay long enough to enjoy a horseback ride along the beach, but the horses are healthy and well cared for, so I imagine this would be a pleasurable ride. And when it's time to eat, the food is fresh and tasty-- wash it down with a cold Tona!

My husband and I have traveled to Nicaragua several times, but this was our first time in the Tola region. It's gorgeous, like the rest of the country, but there's something special at Soma. It's a secluded oasis, yet a few minutes drive to the beach for surf and breathtaking pacific views. It's low key and inviting, yet nicely appointed and very comfortable... All the fixings without the fuss. Tola has an untouched charm, and at least while we were there in February, the tourists were few and far between and you never felt one bit crowded. In fact, we hiked to the nearby tidal pools along a sprawling empty beach-- nothing but crashing waves. Sunsets are stunning-- ask the Soma crew to take you to "Magnific Rock". And I can't rave enough about the staff-- they are fantastic! Casey was a fabulous, accommodating host, and on top of her gracious hospitality, she made our day (twice!) with an upgrade and free ride to Tola. (Thank you again, Casey!) Brian, Eddy, Will, Gloria... and everyone on the staff was very friendly and really made us feel welcomed. It's a small place, so every guest is treated with care. We left the place completely smitten - I hope we can return in the not too distant future!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with anything here-- the bungalows are very well appointed, and from what we saw, the other rooms are also very well done. Everything is central on the lush grounds surrounding the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Soma is the best-kept secret of relaxing getaways in Nicaragua. Since we stayed at Soma for the last 3 days of our trip we were a little hesitant that it wasn't going to be the perfect ending to our wonderful vacation. But as soon as we arrived our minds changed. The resort is set up with an infinity pool and dining area in the middle and rooms/ bungalows surrounding. Soma seemed a lot more personal than a regular hotel. The location is the perfect distance from the beach and we loved driving around and seeing how the people in Nicaragua lived. The staff was absolutely wonderful and Casey made us feel so like we were right at home. They have so many activities to choose from so we couldn't fit them all in, but we went surfing, hiking by the beach, horseback riding and visited the natural hot springs. We planned to pack our days with activities, but it was so hard to leave the resort once you are laying by the pool your mind goes into complete relaxation. The food was absolutely delicious and being that I am a vegetarian places usually don't have that many options and they had a ton! They use the freshest ingredients to create the perfect, yummiest meals. By the end of the day it was such a delight to lie in a resort that actually has comfortable rooms and beds! The whole experience was everything we dreamed of and so much more... We felt rejuvenated and NEVER wanted to leave this paradise. We are already planning our next trip!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My daughter (age 12) and I, as part of a small group, spent four fabulous days in January at this gorgeous, relaxing, yet invigorating spot, high on a hill, with stunning views everywhere you looked. Bill and Casey, Eddy, Will, and the rest of the staff were tireless and welcoming hosts. Our itinerary was full, with surfing lessons (patiently conducted in the whitewash for us beginners!), horseback riding to an indigenous homestead where they have been tanning leather in the old tradition for generations, sunset hiking on the beach, a fabulously sculpted bonfire on the beach, hot springs, and playing in tidal pools (where my daughter could have spent days.) The beauty of it all was that after all that activity, we could return to the serenity of Soma. There, we could dip into the infinity pool, read or nap in a hammock, or just sit and soak up the atmosphere up in the open-air dining room while listening to the wind and to the soft, happy voices coming from the kitchen. Speaking of the kitchen, the food was divine: fresh fish anytime we wanted it, exotic fruit juices, tropical pancakes, "secret recipe" burgers, yuka fries, and a delicious squash soup, flavored with cinnamon that I could eat everyday. Not to mention the Mohitos! And for my daughter a Mockhito! Bill and Casey have such knowledge and understanding of Nicaragua, and they love to share this with their guests. Our bungalow was lovely, very spa/zen- like with crisp white sheets and downy comforters and a gorgeous shower built from local stone. There was plenty of space, and it was very clean. Anyone thinking of traveling to Nicaragua should choose Soma. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: There is a combination of rooms and bungalows. I only know about the bungalows, or casitas, as that is where we stayed. The whole place is very quiet and peaceful at night, so I can't imagine there is a bad pick, in terms of a room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family