“Beautiful location /Awesome staff”
other travelers have booked this property
RESTAURANT AREA AND HAMMOCKS FOR YOU TO RELAX
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
RESTAURANT AREA AND HAMMOCKS FOR YOU TO RELAX
WE OFFER MEXICAN, NICA AND SEA FOOD AT EXCELLENT PRICES
SLEEPS 6 PERFECT FOR ALL YOUR FRIENDS, PRIVATE BATHROOM, BREAKFAST INCLUDED FOR $15.00 P/P OR $10.00
SLEEPS TWO, FAN OR A/C. BRAND NEW EVERYTHING. PLEASE CHECK FOR PRICING
SLEEPS THREE, FAN OR A/C PLEASE CHECK FOR PRICING
YOU CAN SURF, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BARREL
SURFING IN FRONT OF THE BARREL
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
louise d
London, United Kingdom
“Not a "hostel" more hotel”
Reviewed April 9, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

We left this "hostel" today. Tripadvisor said free coffee, that's not true they add every cup onto your bill. They said we could use the kitchen to cook our own food for an extra $2. This is the chefs kitchen which he needs all the time so we paid extra for use of a space we could not use properly and were asked to leave the kitchen when the stove was needed. When we checked out at 10.40 am this morning they tried to also charge us for an extra nights stay because we didn't inform them earlier. We had informed them at 8am today that we were leaving. There is nowhere that states you need to inform them 24 hours prior to check out. I feel the place is very money driven and not geared towards the longer term traveller. If you are travelling and looking for a better place to stay there are plenty more, not so new but more established for travellers and have kitchens for guests to use which is all included in the price. Also there's a great pizza place about two hostels down along the beach from this place, great cocktails and one pizza feeds three adults easily. I would say in my opinion that this place is a money driven hotel. If your travelling on a budget it's not the place to stay.

Apr 12, 2017
As a expert traveler when you make a reservation for four nights and suddenly decide to leave, it is a 24 hour cancellation notice where-ever you go, as far as being money driven? we housed for free your friend who we did not know, but was in no condition to get to his place, we let him spend the night w/o paying anything. Anyone who has stayed with us, knows we do care about our guests and even the ones who does not stay with us. Leslia
yasira23
Riverside, California
“Beautiful location /Awesome staff ”
Reviewed March 1, 2017 for a stay in February 2017

Absolutely recommend this cute little spot , makes you feel like you are in paradise! Owners are very friendly and make you feel right at home! Will definitely be returning!

Mar 3, 2017
Andrea, thanks so much for the review, looking forward to seeing you back very soon.
Alexander...
“The barrel”
Reviewed February 19, 2017 for a stay in February 2017

So i just wanted to leave a review,

For leslia and all the workers at the hostel i want to say a massive thank you for your hospitality and help. These guys really go above and beyond to help you with anything from transport to tacho's!

The hostel is poitioned right on the beach. Arguably some of the best surf in nicaragua. The beach itself is a wonder to experience. leslia and the team make it feel all the more homely, great facilities, clean rooms and without the high pricetag!

Thank you again guys and see you soon!

Feb 20, 2017
Sandy, Thank you so much for staying with us and for the nice review, such a nice person! very polite and just so much fun to have around. Please do come back soon! Leslia.
Samuel P
“AWESOME”
Reviewed January 9, 2017 for a stay in January 2017

Very good hostel! The owners are absolutely lovely and make you feel at home in a few minutes!!
The dorms are good, clean and each one has it's own bathroom. Only 6 people per dorm!
The location is really good. Walking distance from the Popoyo Left and the little tide pool at low tide.
The atmosphere is excellent! You can play your own music too!
The food may be a little more expensive than elsewhere in the village BUT, they have a generator to keep the food fresh when there's a power cut in the village (which happens a lot)!
Also when nobody has power or wifi in the village, the hostel does!
They'll let you use the kitchen for a little daily contribution if you're on a budget which is really nice and comprehensive.
The hostel is gated and watched by security at night witch is a serious plus.
They arrange transport, surf trips with a boat and rent surfboards.
If you're planning on staying a few days around Popoyo, the Barrel Hostel is your best option! We'll be back one day!

Jan 11, 2017
Hello Sam and Juliett, Thank you for your very nice review and making my job a lot easier by taking the time to explains all the plus stuff that we offer at the Hostel. You are such a nice couple. Enjoy your trip, be safe and hopefully you will come back some day. Leslia and Epi.
Meggo5000
San Diego, California
“Best hostel in Popoyo”
Reviewed September 17, 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

My husband and I were just in Popoyo for a surf trip. We found this place on our walk down the beach. Wish we could have stayed here for our whole trip, but only discovered it towards the end. Everything about this place is awesome; amazing food, great location, nice rooms, and the best hospitality we experienced our whole trip! Leslia, Epi, and Jerry were so helpful with everything! I highly recommend staying here! :)

Sep 18, 2016
We thank you very much for your very nice review. It is always a pleasure to help our guests the way we know how and know what it feels to be away from home. Everyone of you is very especial to us and we will go the extra mile to make sure you are safe and having a great time. It is very rewarding to read reviews like yours, it tells us we are doing our job (that we enjoy so much it is not a job any more).
You are always welcome.
Leslia, Epi and Jerry.
csumnersm...
Olney, United Kingdom
“Nice new hostel on the beach”
Reviewed August 28, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

A newly built hostel with an ideal location right on the beach.
Friendly atmosphere and large TV showing the Olympics.
Nice communal area which became the social centre of the village.
Owners are very accommodating if a little disorganised.
Each dorm has its own bathroom.
Nearby surf school (highly recommended) and the waves are consistently good for all levels of surfers.
Beautiful sunsets on the beach.

However, whilst the food was good, it was a bit unimaginative and pricey. (Nearby local restaurant 30m away is far better value)
It's also impractical to get to without a car. It's 7Km from where the chicken bus drops you (try hitch a ride with surfers with pick up trucks)
To get back to Rivas, it was necessary to get a taxi ($30 total)

Aug 29, 2016
Hello, Chris, Thank you for your review. I have to agree with you about being a little disorganized, we have been opened for 5 months and everything gets a bit complicated from Guasacate, from finding good employees to trying to accommodate everyone with his or hers own different needs. I also would like to let everyone know that we get our food and groceries delivered from Managua and Rivas, and it not cheap, the restaurant that you are talking about it might be cheaper, but you would have to pay $10.00 for transportation just to get there plus food (do you really save any money?) I can also assure you it is not beach front, but that is why there are choices, I always try to let all our guest the different options in the area. I thank you for your review, it is always good to know where we can improve. We are starting Nicaraguan Asados at a very reasonable price as we understand a lot of our guests are on a budget, one the reasons we are so accommodating. Leslia
Paul K
“A barrel full of human kindness”
Reviewed August 11, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

My experience at this hostel was pretty effectively summarized by one profound occurrence... It was an ordinary afternoon in Popoyo; I was lazing about the hostel after a morning of surfing, killing time, waiting for the surf to return in the afternoon. I stepped into my spacious, clean, comfortable dorm and took a seat on the high quality mattress provided, resting my weary head on my soft yet amply supportive pillow. I only managed to enjoy the cool breeze of my fan for a moment before it donned on me that I had forgotten my water bottle in the beachside common area! It would seem that the comfort provided by the hospitable staff and the ideal location had caused me to achieve a level of bliss that resulted in a neglect for my own personal affairs. Nevertheless, I swiftly exited my abode in search of said water bottle. As I perused the common area hoping to find my neglected hydration vessel, my heart sunk – the bottle was nowhere to be seen. I silently cursed my carelessness and vowed to treat my next bottle with more respect and appreciation, God forbid that I should part ways with another before it's time. It was in this moment, as I prepared to retreat, that I spotted something curious out of the corner of my eye. Within the refrigerator there sat a bottle – the same brand and volume as my own, at precisely the same level of fullness as the one that I had so ignorantly abandoned. After the initial shock of this discovery passed I was able to deduce that one of the saintly staff members, exercising a level of kindness not usually observed in mere humans, collected my forgotten vessel and placed it in a location in which it would not only remain secure, but would also improve as time passed, given the fact that a beverage is all the more palatable when it's temperature is in contrast with the climate in which it resides.

Aug 14, 2016
Yes, Paul, you are right, full of human kindness. Our business is not just a business, we enjoy what we do and enjoy every guests at The Barrel, you are all so unique and just a joy to have as guests. Leslia
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing