I had been doing a lot of research for my and my fiance's first trip to Puerto Rico. After considering locations, prices, reviews, and amenities, I decided to give the Verdanza a try. Being in the hospitality industry, I know that hotels that aren't attached to a big brand often try a little harder to earn your business. The Verdanza is an example of this, and I'm glad that I took a chance on them!
The hotel is located a few blocks from the beach, close to some great restaurants (definitely visit Mi Casita!) and the staff were friendly and quite helpful. The price was very reasonable, and the grounds were well kept. At check in, we received complimentary frozen treats which were a nice touch. The front desk was quick and efficient even when the lobby was pretty busy. The concierge desk gave very good info on tours and directions. My room was upgraded to one in the tower on the 8th floor executive level instead of the building near the pool which is where it sounded like I was originally placed when I called back to reconfirm our reservations. This was great because I was a little worried about noise from the pool area in my room, and the pool building seemed to be where some people stayed and noted mildew smells. The executive level had a gym and business center with internet right down the hall, and exclusive access to a continental breakfast each morning we were there. We also rented a car for a few days to allow ourselves scheduling freedom and again, the desk couldn't have been more helpful.
The only three issues I had were:
* the hotel's restaurant. While the food was good, the service was a little slow. I think there were staffing shortages the day I ordered lunch. I had calamari and a mojito and it took 25 minutes, and I had to check on it more than once
* my exec room: although well appointed, it was pretty small. The balcony I had did not have room to sit; the pool building seemed to have bigger balconies with chairs, but I can't speak to the size of the rooms there.
* my room was not ready at check in, but to be fair we did get there at 9 am when the hotel was sold out the previous day. The desk did take my cell phone number and call me when the room was ready, and it was...exactly at the time they said it would be.
I unfortunately missed the manager's reception, which was also a nice touch. I would've liked to meet the manager to tell him directly what a great hotel and wonderful team he has. Thanks in part to the Verdanza, my fiance and I had a fantastic and memorable vacation in Puerto Rico.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm smiles lead the way at the relaxed, urban-inspired Verdanza Hotel,a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts Lifestyle Collection. Steps from Isla Verde beach; near restaurants, clubs, casinos. Air-conditioned rooms offer pillow menu, iPod(R) docking station, LCD TV, organic bath products, 2-line phone, safe, fridge, iron/board, hairdryer. Facilities: pool area with whirlpool and SprayPark, three restaurants, cafe. Services: complimentary bike-taxi transfers to beach, Tour Desk, Dollar Rent-A-Car. Location places guests minutes from convention center, historical city, cruise piers, marinas, shopping, attractions, international airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Verdanza Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Carolina
- Carolina Holiday Inn
- Verdanza Hotel Puerto Rico/Isla Verde