“Surprisingly Great Botique Hotel”
Review of Verdanza Hotel

Verdanza Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I had been doing a lot of research for my and my fiance's first trip to Puerto Rico. After considering locations, prices, reviews, and amenities, I decided to give the Verdanza a try. Being in the hospitality industry, I know that hotels that aren't attached to a big brand often try a little harder to earn your business. The Verdanza is an example of this, and I'm glad that I took a chance on them!

The hotel is located a few blocks from the beach, close to some great restaurants (definitely visit Mi Casita!) and the staff were friendly and quite helpful. The price was very reasonable, and the grounds were well kept. At check in, we received complimentary frozen treats which were a nice touch. The front desk was quick and efficient even when the lobby was pretty busy. The concierge desk gave very good info on tours and directions. My room was upgraded to one in the tower on the 8th floor executive level instead of the building near the pool which is where it sounded like I was originally placed when I called back to reconfirm our reservations. This was great because I was a little worried about noise from the pool area in my room, and the pool building seemed to be where some people stayed and noted mildew smells. The executive level had a gym and business center with internet right down the hall, and exclusive access to a continental breakfast each morning we were there. We also rented a car for a few days to allow ourselves scheduling freedom and again, the desk couldn't have been more helpful.

The only three issues I had were:

* the hotel's restaurant. While the food was good, the service was a little slow. I think there were staffing shortages the day I ordered lunch. I had calamari and a mojito and it took 25 minutes, and I had to check on it more than once

* my exec room: although well appointed, it was pretty small. The balcony I had did not have room to sit; the pool building seemed to have bigger balconies with chairs, but I can't speak to the size of the rooms there.

* my room was not ready at check in, but to be fair we did get there at 9 am when the hotel was sold out the previous day. The desk did take my cell phone number and call me when the room was ready, and it was...exactly at the time they said it would be.

I unfortunately missed the manager's reception, which was also a nice touch. I would've liked to meet the manager to tell him directly what a great hotel and wonderful team he has. Thanks in part to the Verdanza, my fiance and I had a fantastic and memorable vacation in Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

Dear Bookend2505, we are pleased to learn of your experience at Verdanza Hotel and appreciate your comments on the things you enjoyed as well as those on areas where we could improve further. We look forward to welcoming you back to Verdanza Hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed here in 2008 when it was the Holiday Inn. I was very surprised then how clean the hotel was and how helpful the staff was that when I booked my cruise for Feb. 2011 my husband and I decided we should try the Verdanza because we were familiar with the area and the price was right. (We have stayed at the Intercontinental before as well and did'nt want to spend $400+ for one night before a cruise) We booked a room for one night before our cruise and for 2 nights the next week after our cruise. There was a fire alarm at 5:45 a.m. And the room phone and safe were not working. I informed the front desk about the phone not working and the safe. I also asked if I could have that same room when I returned the next week. It had a balcony and a view of the pool. We returned the next week and while checking in the front desk person said to my husband "someone should be up soon to look at the phone". No-one ever showed to fix anything. And while we were there for our 2 night stay the fire alarm went off 3 more times. All false alarms. I did not say anything about the phone or safe again because they made it pretty clear they just didnt care. They had a whole week to fix it and chose to do nothing about it. Also the David's coffee shop located in the lobby has the worst customer service I stood there for 5 min and the person behind that counter was on their cell phone and did not acknowledge me or the other women behind me. We both walked away. This happened all 3 days I was there. There is a Starbucks in the El San Juan hotel but I just wanted a quick cup before I got on with my day. The best part about that is I walked over to Mi Casita (over by church's chicken and burger king) they have good coffee and a good inexpensive breakfast. I will be staying at the Intercontinental from now on when I come to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear skr23, we are sorry to learn of the shortcomings that marred an otherwise pleasant experience at Verdanza Hotel. We did confront a situation with the alarm system which was corrected within 24 hours; we apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Rest assured they do not fall on deaf ears as we hope to have an opportunity to impress you favorably in the near future.

Reviewed February 16, 2011

it was my worse stay EVER...the tv didnt work, fire alarm went off every night, and the charge my card twice the amount and the hotel manager said it was my PROBLEM

Reviewed February 6, 2011

The staff was wonderful, the hotel was nice looking, and the hotel's restaurant served good food.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed two nights for the first time. I found it to be comfortable and it had everything I needed. The pool and jacuzzi were clean and fun. The room, with a king size bed seemed fine. It is not a luxury hotel. The sheets and towels were changed each day. The room had a balcony which I enjoyed. It also had a refrigerator, coffee maker, and hair dryer. The bed mattress was too soft for me as I like a firm mattress. I used one of three of their restaurants, the 80/20 Bistro for breakfast which was a buffet for $12.00. It was adequate, nothing fancy but I had enough to eat. I also purchased drinks from the bar at the bistro. I would say they are somewhat expensive. Approximately $6.00 each.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2011

The room we had was a little small, but you shouldn't spend much time in your room while in Puerto Rico anyway. The staff at the desk was awesome to my wife and me. They recommended places to eat and helped with directions. The hotel is close to some good resaturates and the beach. There are bus stops close by that will take you to Old San Juan or if you want you can get a cab very easily.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2011

The power was on and off all night and finally stayed off the morning after therefore NO AC and it gets hot fast. No hot water even after letting the water run for 10 mins. The phone was broken and the hotel MGR Juan could care less what happened to my room and stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business