“Comfortable, convenient - bathroom needs an upgrade.”
Review of Verdanza Hotel

Verdanza Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Antigua WI
“Comfortable, convenient - bathroom needs an upgrade.”
Reviewed November 24, 2010

I stayed at Verdanza for one night on November 22nd. The bed was comfortable, the staff were friendly - especially the bell guys as we went to shop so they were lugging our bags up and down. They were very helpful. There is a dedicated computer in the lobby for airline check in which is also cool. It is also just a few minutes from the airport and the two main shopping areas I wanted to go to - Carolina and Plaza de las Americas. There is a Walgreens next door and a Pueblo supermarket 5 mins drive away, and a dollar rentacar on site - all very convenient.

The only complaint I have was that the bathroom really was quite small and was desperately in need of an upgrade. The shower head was very old and was starting to corrode. the grout in betwen the tiles looked like it was in need of some bleach and a scrub. There is no extractor fan in the bathroom either so the damp from the shower lingered in the room. For a quick turnaround shopping trip like mine I would say that this hotel was fine other than the grotty bathroom. I think I paid about 150 for the night - that was an advanced paid in full rate, this was reasonable but I think that breakfast should have been included.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Hebrew first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We arrived at 10am and expected to have to store our luggage until late afternoon as rooms are not usually available this early in the day. We had "won" the room via Priceline but this made no difference to the check-in staff - they offered to upgrade our room if we were willing to take a room with two Queens as opposed to 1 King or we were given the option of storing luggage until a room became available! How nice was that - we took an upgrade and had a beautiful and spacious room overlooking the very nice pool area.

The friendliness of the staff, bar and restaurant staff, management, reception, housekeeping, doormen etc. was wonderful. Whenever someone passed us, we were always greeted or asked how our day/night was going.

Further to the friendliness of the staff, one day, we were sitting at the pool and the trees were being shed of the coconuts. A guy (manager possibly) had the guy taking down the coconuts prepare a few so that folk around the pool could drink the milk. What a treat for those of us who only get to eat processed coconut and have never tasted the natural milk.

Service was fabulous - the hair dryer stopped working but within the hour it had been fixed, the restaurant, coffee booth and bar staff were helpful and friendly too.

Bar and restaurant prices very reasonable but there are plenty of fast food or more luxurious restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. Within the hotel itself, there is a Davis coffee bar that serves quick bites like sandwiches, muffins, candy bars and great coffee. Baked items were always very fresh. In addition there is a bar, bistro where you can get a buffet breakfast or off a menu items - very good food; and, a chinese restaurant.

Less than a 3 minute walk to the beach, bus to Old San Juan was 75cents though it is best to avoid the local rush hour 3pm/5pm.

Free wi-fi in the reception area and also a computer for printing out boarding passes. Also on the 8th floor their is a lounge with a computer (free to use) and rooftop patio area.

Pool very clean and has a kids water park and hot tub along with an area with a giant chess set you can play with. There are lots of covered and uncovered seating areas too.

There are plenty of pubs, souvenir shops, a Walgreens and many other restaurants and fast food places within walking distance of the hotel.

Hotel itself is well maintained, clean and rooms are cleaned well and ours was always cleaned by the time we had returned from breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MAXII
brooklyn,ny
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Let me start off by saying that my girlfriend and I really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Everyone who works at the hotel was so nice and helpful and the price of a room was a steal. The Verdanza hotel is in very close proximity too everything in the Isle Verde area. Your a two min walk too the beach, your also a two min walk too all the other major hotels in the area.

We had one issue with the hotel during our stay, the pool was filthy. I don't think it
was cleaned during our stay over the columbus weekend. My girlfriend developed a rash
on her chest from the water after just one day in the pool, needless too say we never made it back in. We visit Puerto Rico 5 to 7 times a year and would like too to give
the hotel another shot but we need some kind of reassurance from management that
this porblem will never happen again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russell J
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
RussJ35, We are genuinely sorry that an otherwise enjoyable stay was marred by one such important aspect of a hotel experience.

Rest assured that the pool maintenance company cleans the pool very early every morning, around 7:00am. Nevertheless, following your message, we pursued this with the Engineering Department; indeed there was a problem with the filtration system, which caused especially sun creams and oils to not be processed fully, leaving residue behind. It has now been effectively fixed.

We do hope to welcome you back to Verdanza and having a second opportunity to wow you.
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Quite a story, we where in our wedding celebration which was in another location, and we had stayed in the Marriott Courtyard in Isla Verde (nearby). I had booked a reservation in the Verdanza (back then it was a Holiday Inn when I'd booked the room) for my Maiden of Honor to stay; I'd also used the room for us and my mother to prepare ourselves for the wedding which was a daytime wedding/reception. I never knew that the hotel was under a transition of merging with the Summit family. At the moment we didn't paid attention to details, etc. The photographer came and took several pictures in the room which looking at them it was very beautiful. My favorite picture was the long window reflecting in the sunlight and my flower girl and I holding hands looking at each other....wow it looks like an angel just came through the curtains......after that we all went down for departure, when the elevators opened and we all stepped out (me behind) everyone frozed just glanced at us....and the people started to applauded when we was leaving the hotel. Due it was after thanksgiving day the hotel looked very nice w/all the x-mas decorations....We didn't stay there for the honeymoon because we already had prior reservations at the Marriott.....due my Maiden of Honor left the property and we had decided to extend our stay in the Marriott, but they had a big convention coming in which made it impossible for us to stay there and at that moment I told my husband about "Verdanza". We packed up our things and went directly to Verdanza which for my surprise the front desk agent recognized me. Very impressive. We told him about our situation and he helped us out. At the moment they didn't have standard queen rooms or suite due to the holidays but they had a double bed room with balcony overviewing the pool which we took (gave us a special rate too). We enjoyed ourselves there and if we knew better we could had done our wedding there too....next time!....renew our vows!....
We where in the right place and the right time, that night the celebration of Verdanza began w/fireworks displaying their new name "VERDANZA"....everynight for a week there was live music in the lobby area which the guests where invited to be part of their staff and celebration of the new beginning. Everynight was a different theme.
We felt that we was part of their staff due we work for a very known hotel which was recently renovated and opened doors in 2008 located at the gem of Miami Beach...
We dine in J.H. Lee's Asian restaurant which was so delicious and the service was great! The server's knew their menus and gave suggestions too. At the next morning we went to Eighty 20 Bistro and had breakfast and we ate our hearts off. When you go in you feel you transported to the 60's. DELICIOUS!!!...
The quality of the food is excellent and fresh (I should know I work for an executive chef too).
The furnitures of the lobby and surroundings are refreshing it also goes with the atmosphere.
Back at home we recommend the hotel to our friends if they plan to visit PR.
When I come to visit again PR, definitely we will look into Verdanza, well we kind of opened the place.

OH!!!!! Let's not forget the staff "YOU RULE!"

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boricua51
Southern Maine
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed at the Verdanza for 4 nights recently as solo traveler to San Juan. Would definitely recommend the rooms in the tower; the room I was first assigned was in the poolside section and was just too damp and old for my taste but I was kindly moved to a newer, nicer room and very much enjoyed my stay. The room was quiet and the bed extremely comfortable. Used the computers on the 8th floor; reasonably fast internet in my opinion. Didn't use the fitness center up there but it looked well-outfitted and the view from that floor was profound! There's a deck outside the business/fitness area with views to the beach. Check it out!
The staff is very friendly and helpful and it was pretty easy to get around from the hotel. Had to take taxis if going away from Isla Verde area for dinner (ie. Condado). As others did, used the bus to go to Old San Juan; it might take 30-40 mins for it to arrive, and it took about 40 mins to get to OSJ, but at 75 cents each way, worth it (and you get to see other parts of the city on the way). A little tip: at the top of the city, near El Moro, there is an art school and inside a courtyard with a little place that sells some very fresh and yummy puerto rican snacks and meals. I happened upon it sort of accidentally and took advantage of the cool seats in the courtyard, the very clean bathrooms and the water fountain. You can't normally go in, but I asked about eating there and gained admittance. They will not let you just go in and use the bathrooms.
Other food related tips: Ate breakfast twice in the hotel; $12.00 buffet, which felt a little high but was convenient and if you're a big eater, a good deal. Had a tuna nicoise salad at the 80/20 restaurant, which was delicious except for the tuna (!) which was a tad dry.
As for the lettuce wraps at J H Yees, yup, those are amazing and should not be missed! Eat them like tacos; still a little messy but yummy!
I also ate at Jam Rum Bar which others have recommended on TripAdvisor and it was very good; agree with others that the white bean soup is to die for. The black truffle oil on top is such a treat. When I was there, they also had a black bean soup so I tried a little of both and would vote, just barely, for the black bean if available. Also had the postelon pernil which was super filling and tasty.
And Mia Casita, just around the corner from the Verdanza--near the Ponderosa (eek!) was great! I had rice and beans with the beef a la native--marinated and laced with onions. It was enough for two meals, and with a fridge in the hotel room, it was leftovers the next night :)
Outings which should not be missed include El Yunque rain forest, and the snorkling trip--both available and recommended through Castillo tours (they maintain a desk in the lobby of the Verdanza, and you can also call them directly if no one there). I booked both the night before and they made my trip! Met some very fun people on both!
The hotel has a nice pool and is truly a very short walk to the beach. I did not feel at all like I needed to be on the beach; I get the feeling my hotel was quieter for being a little further back.
Weather was certainly hot and a little steamy, but only rained for 30 mins the whole time I was there. Stunning! Hope you go!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank AnnieLovesFrance
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 16, 2010

My husband and I just returned back to Philly following a six day stay at the Verdanza Hotel and we absolutely loved it!!! We visited San Juan three weeks earlier and stayed at the Conrad Condado Plaza while attending a wedding at the nearby Marriott Stellaris. The two larger hotel chains mentioned can't compare to the quality and service received at Verdanza. We made a decision to return to Puerto Rico quickly since I am 6 months pregnant and we didn't get to do much sight-seeing while attending the wedding. Let me tell you, this boutique-style hotel is amazing. The staff is exceptionally professional. The lobby is so cute and sophistocated, rooms are very clean and bright and the pool is peaceful and beautifully designed. You don't even miss the swim-up bars and all the other bells and whistles that the larger chains offer. Verdanza doesn't hassle you about returning the towels...hawking you like other hotels do. There is an Embassy Suites practically next door with an Outback Steakhouse and small casino inside. We were there at Outback almost every night! We are considering making Verdanza our annual summer get-a-way. One last note - the Isla Verde beach is just a block away and although it's a public beach, it's great!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cherokee0728
Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed September 11, 2010

When our flight from San Juan to Newark returned, after about 40 minutes in the air, to San Juan due to a minor mechanical problem, which could not be repaired right away, the airline put us up for the night at the Verdanza. Although I was extremely fatigued by the time I checked in, I couldn't help but notice what a beautiful, elegant, and clean hotel it is. I had to return to reception because we initially put in a room with only one bed, but that was immediately fixed. The beds were soft, but comfortable, and the air-conditioning was powerful (a rarity for San Juan), and with a fair sized bathroom stocked with plush towels and the usual toiletries. Reception provided a hair comb upon request. Hotel has a large, impressive looking pool; about an hour in that pool was the cure for my earlier fatigue. Of the three restaurants (Asian bistro, International, and Puerto Rican), we choose to dine at the Asian bistro. What a remarkable restaurant! The menu included entrees from practically every major Asian cuisine (except Korean). I had the Jakarta shrimp curry, which was excellent, and my Dad had a Polynesian pineapple chicken. While walking my dog (the hotel is pet friendly!), I noticed the large parking lot behind the hotel. Overall, if we had to be stranded overnight in San Juan, we were fortunate that Continental Airlines put us up in the Verdanza. Our stay at the Verdanza made a stressful and tiring day end on a more relaxed note.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ESJ Azul
ESJ Azul
#11 of 13 in Isla Verde
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to Verdanza Hotel? Share your experiences!