“Never was unhappier with a hotel - Subpar rooms & Several issues”
Review of Verdanza Hotel

Verdanza Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
“Never was unhappier with a hotel - Subpar rooms & Several issues”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We were disappointed in our stay at Verdanza hotel in Isla Verde. When I booked originally, I was told that it was a 4 star hotel, that certainly did not seem the case during my trip. I've have never written a bad review before in my travels but felt compelled to do so now. I have contacted them directly to complain (with other details from the trip) and they said they would look into the issues discussed.

When we checked in we were greeted nicely & some of the staff there really do try (unfortunately the overall issues overcloud them). One major plus was Coladas, the staff there were the ones that really did try & make us feel welcome. The food was good, as well as the drinks. They really check up on us to even see if we were happy with service. I can honestly give them a positive rating.

Now onto the issues, in summary...

First I was given the wrong room designation (pool ground no balcony, which as another reviewer said, smelled & was musty), then I was switched to another room. When I checked into the room, I was horrified. I called my husband up to be sure and judge as well. The room was the last one on the second floor all the way in the corner, it had a smell to it, and seemed as it hadn’t been aired out in a while. The chair in the room was in shambles, the plastic covering on the chair was completely stripped showing the exposed cushion foam underneath. I went back to the front desk, explained the problem & detailed some of the problems & was switched again. The room was not in optimal shape as well, but had less of a smell that other room & appeared to be not as damaged as the previous room we were in. The bed was firm, but with only three flat pillows, we awoke with neck pain in the morning. We had other issues as well, luggage not being transferred with the room, internet connection issues, even cleaning services. If you would like more details let me know!

Essentially I have been in no frills places, as well as top of the line. no matter what, if you are made to feel welcome and the staff is friendly & accommodating, it makes all the difference. I had to make this trip, unfortunately for a funeral, so the accommodations were last minute. If i had known, or had more time, I would not have booked there at all, if anything it added to the whole stress for the family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Celest678, I was sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction due to unsatisfactory accommodations.

We are pleased to share with you that all of our 222 guestrooms now have brand new, comfortable, hypoallergenic pillows. Likewise, the reupholstery of furniture pieces is well under way with beatiful fabrics in organic colors.

We take pride in the improvements we have undertaken to date, a project that is ongoing, and we are genuinely sorry that your experience was marred by inconveniences. We look forward to opportunity to impress you favorably in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This was the second hotel during our ten day trip. I chose it because it was one of two hotels chosen as the "hq" for an event I was participating in. The other was the Embassy Suites which was across the street.
Practical issues first - if you have a GPS, ask the hotel if the street that runs in front of the hotel is one way or two way. It is currently a one way street due to construction and you will not be able to turn into the hotel the "easy" way. So, if you're staying here, get very precise instructions on how to find the road that turns into the Embassy Suites that will get you to the Verdanza. And be aware that the road is not well marked and will suddenly appear ("like magic as a local put it) and you should be in the right lane to make that turn.
The beach is not really near the hotel. You have to walk about 500 yards (?), basically you have to walk down the currently one way road to the busy road, cross it, and go behind the hotels and buildings that front the beach. So, maybe a 6 minute walk depending on how fast you walk. You can hire lounge chairs for $4 once you're on the beach.
The pool with the August heat was really bath water temperature (if they had fountains like the other hotel we stayed in, it would have helped with the circulation, I suspect). They do have a water spray play area for kids which I saw children enjoy.
The room is decent, we had two double beds. The bathroom is small but adequate. There is a hotel safe and a fridge. The internet is rather slow.
The location is good because it is in Isla Verde, so you can walk to fast food places, restaurants, and there is a Charlie's car rental place on the main road. There is also a large supermarket called Pueblo near by (really driving distance, it would be a very long walk if you're loaded down with supplies).
The scenery around the hotel is "urban". A friend called it getho style.
The Embassy Suites would have been more comfortable.
Service at the Verdanza is uneven to poor.
We came back at 5pm one day to find the room had not been cleaned after we left early that day. We called and called room service. We had no clean towels. Finally at 9pm, after another phone call, room service came. She had a friend with her, and spent her time casually chatting with him, which of course involved having to stop working at times to have a conversation about mutual friends. not professional at all.
one evening, I asked the concierge about pizza. I asked him about the pizza joint in the Embassy suites, he said he never heard of it. I asked him about the pizza place in the Howard Johnson, he said he didn't know there was one (it's about a 3 minute drive). He said there was one down the road, but he didn't have a menu and didn't have a phone number, and that was it. I walked across to the Embassy Suites and decided against that pizza place. I asked THEIR concierge about the Howard Johnson's pizza (it's called Fazzios and is a restaurant that happens to be in the HJ). He thought they were closed and I expressed surprise as friends had just eaten there. So you know what the Embassy Suites Concierge did? He called howard johnson and found out they were open and made it easier for me to order take out pizza. (they will deliver for $3 - fazzio's, they also have a website but it was down that evening).
I was very disappointed with the Verdanza. It wasn't worth the money. We had just left Numero Uno which provided breakfast, was right on the beach and were service oriented. And we went on to the Conrad which while a much larger hotel and a resort type hotel, provided excellent service at all times.
Re restaurants - Barrachine has local food and is a good choice, and is quite close (we drove) to the Verdanza. Fazzio's will deliver. there is an outback steakhouse in the embassy suites (if you're too tired to drive and don't want to look for a place to eat). I also saw Chile's and Ponderosa near by. There's also a local place called Platos (need to drive or a nice long walk) and Metropol (which I"ll review later) also local food.
Parking by the way will cost $10.70. And if they are hosting an event, it may be hard to find a spot to park in the outdoor parking area (there isn't a covered area). I'd say this is a 2 star hotel. So as long as you know what you're getting, you won't be disappointed. It was the service or lack thereof that disappointed me.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank drironwoman
Melville, New York
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Rooms were small and not updated. Nice staff but after many promises couldn't get us a better room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2010

On their website it is clear about their best rate guarantee. if you find a lower rate ANYwhere else for the same room type, they will match it and upgrade you. I found a great rate on Travelocity and inquired with the manager about it. They refused to honor my request citing that what Travelocity offered was an advance purchase rate. Even though ALL purchases on Travelocity is advance purchase - I said great, tell me where I can purchase the same rate on your website - I received no response. After calling and sending a few emails - again no response. Remembering some of the reviews. I decided to cancel my reservation and not deal with their unethical behavior. The manager just did not want to honor the guarantee - even with proof. I was bounced around for 20 minutes on the phone to cancel my reservation. I was glad about my decision - this was a confirmation of the poor service. They may be pleasant and answer the phone nicely - but they are very disorganized and seem to be poorly managed.

There is construction on the street. The walk to the beach is not too far, but you will be crossing a VERY busy road. BTW - The Embassy Suites is right behind them. I would give the Embassy a try.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TheTravelScoop
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
TheTravelScoop, please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of our team at Verdanza Hotel. An inquiry is underway regarding both the Best Rate Guarantee as well as the poor handling of the situation. Please be aware that this is not reflective of our standards – and certainly not of our regard for our clients and guests - and will be addressed swiftly.
Celebration, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2010

At first we though we were lost, looking for our room. They send us to the pool area(the worst) Old furniture, broken chair and table, dusty walls and fixtures and smelly room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
TTraveler_9, I was sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction due to unsatisfactory accommodations. The truth is that a sudden surge in demand during the summer forced us to use units that had been placed out of commission for refurbishing. We take pride in the improvements we have undertaken to date, a project that is ongoing, and we are genuinely sorry that your experience was marred by a room not up to par.
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Overall, the experience was excellent, great staff, comfortable room, super clean pool. Very good hotel. I will return for sure.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
AdiSilva, it's a pleasure to hear that your stay at Verdanza Hotel was enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back! Be sure to check our site to find your best deal on your next stay. Kind regards,
Roswell, GA
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Wasn't sure what to expect before we arrived, but, was pleasantly surprised! The staff were all so helpful and courteous!! They have done a nice job of refurbishing what was once a Holiday Inn. I had lunch out by the pool 2 or 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed my meals!!! I highly recommend the Caprese Salad and Chicken Caesar Salad!! Oh, and a little guy sitting at the table next to me had chicken nuggets for lunch that looked delicious!!! Be sure to try the Lettuce Wraps at the Asian restaurant! They were delicious, as were the tempura vegetables! The hotel is located a block away from an absolutely wonderful beach!!! A short walk up the beach there is a marvelous restaurant/grill at the Intercontinental Hotel that serves a dynamite Cuban sandwich!!! There is also fast food available just a short walk from the hotel, as well as a Walgreens and a grocery store. Oh, and I enjoyed chatting with other guests out at the pool. There was a family there from Orlando, FL. The mom was born in PR, and she brings her kids and spends the entire summer at the Verdanza. They have been doing this for several years. I figure that is a really great recommendation just by itself!! This hotel is good for families or singles. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Carybenn53, thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Verdanza Hotel. We are honored to enjoy many repeat leisure and business guests that return time after time to our property. By the way, it's fantastic that you had a chance to explore so many dining options in and around the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back. Cheers,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
ESJ Azul
ESJ Azul
#11 of 13 in Isla Verde
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to Verdanza Hotel? Share your experiences!