“not bad...”
Review of Verdanza Hotel

Verdanza Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed March 25, 2010

One block from beach, easy walking distance to the San Juan Casino, Intercontinental Hotel Casino, many fast food restaurants, and bus line to get to/from Old San Juan. Rooms and swimming pool clean, hot tub temperature was variable - some days too cool to be called a "hot" tub, another day it was too hot, shortage of pool towels for hous on a hot Saturday afternoon. Restaurant and bar in hotel, prices reasonable, food good. The service of the front desk staff was the best!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
LorenaJOrtiz, Communications at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2010

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, chicagotoots. You help us to always aim to excellence. We hope you will visit us again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed March 22, 2010

My 6 year old son and I were bumped off a Delta flight and given a free night at this hotel. Check-in was wonderful (thank you Michele!) and our stay went from good to better. The location is phenomenal, so near the Isla Verde beach, and the real atmosphere of San Juan. Hotel staff was unusually helpful on different issues. Pool is ok, not top quality but refreshing. We ate at the Hotel 80 casual bar, terrific food for myself and my son. An air of friendliness and genuine interest in the guests prevail throughout the hotel. I was sorry to leave and would love to return there.

• Stayed: March 2010

HeatherNY, your enthusiasm is contagious! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, even if as a result of getting bumped off a flight. We look forwarding to welcoming you and your son back for a proper family vacation at Verdanza Hotel.

Reviewed March 12, 2010

My husband stayed here many times when it was Holiday Inn, this is my first time in PR and his first exp with Verdanza. He stated there really are not too many changes. We both thoroughly enjoyed. Only issues I would say is the keys to the room require many swipes, there were always people sleeping with their luggage in lobby, they need to address this (possible cruise ship workers). Listed some places as 4star ammenities I would not say that. Convenient, clean, very friendly, restaurants/bars good, pool very nice.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
LorenaJOrtiz, Communications at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2010

Sunfun051, thank you for sharing your experience. We are genuinely committed in our efforts to take Verdanza Hotel from strength to strength - and look forward to welcoming you back again, and again, and again.

Reviewed March 10, 2010

I found out shortly before my cruise that this hotel had changed from a Holiday Inn to the Verdanza. I called the hotel and the woman I spoke to said they had done a lot of improvements. So, I decided to keep the reservation. The only good thing they offered me was early check-in and a late check-out. We had no hot water, the phone in our room was dead, the safe was locked open and could not be used, the refridgerator did not work and the door card swipe had to tried multiple times to enter the room. I reported these things to the office and nothing happened. Just before we checked out, an employee saw us trying to get into our room without success and asked to help. I reported all the problems to him again. Then, just a few minutes before departure, the phone and safe were fixed. The pool area was nice but the hot tub was not working.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

2010cruise, please accept our sincere apology for the inconveniences encountered. Indeed, a number of city-wide power failures affected one of the property's boilers, which in turn had an impact on the supply of hot water. We take pride in a team that is very committed to building on successes and addressing areas of improvement. We hope to have a second opportunity to impress you favorably. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

I went to the hotel when I was in a business trip. Even before I got there it was good. I called for directions and the person who attended me stayed with me on the phone making sure I didn’t get lost. At 12:00 am I needed to print something and the front desk person made the arrangements to open the office for me, even though it was closed. On another trip I realized that I left my tooth brush and paste and an employee provided one for me. The only thing that wasn’t that good was the night shift waiter at the restaurant. Not that friendly.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
LorenaJOrtiz, Communications at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

LcdaGonzalez, thank you for sharing your experience. Your candid review allows us to recognize our staff and identify areas for improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

My wife and I just stayed at the Verdanza last night and have to say it was a very good place. We checked in very early in the morning after getting off a cruise. Although it was too early to get our room, they checked us in and took our bags so we could go into Old San Juan for the day. The bus (53C is best, or else A5) into OSJ is literally a block away from the hotel. There are lots of other hotels in the area, so lots of restaurants and also fast food joints. Also a 24 hour supermarket and gas stations. We had a room overlooking the pool in their "second building" (we didn't know it when booking, but their main hotel building is connected to another building that you have to cross an outdoor roof level sidewalk to get to...not covered, which wouldn't be good in rain, but it was fine for us since the skies were clear). Room was nice--you could tell it was old and just had a fresh coat of paint, but it was nice and didn't smell like an old musty place, carpet didn't look like it'd been vacuumed well, but 4 poster bed was great. Bathroom looked and felt a bit dated and very dark (only one tiny overhead light) and the electrical outlet in the bathroom didn't work, which was a pain because that was the only outlet close to a mirror. Mattress was a dream! Soft, cushy and comfy, it was the perfect night's sleep!! Staff was very friendly and courteous. No noise from airport or any parties at all. Ate in the Chinese bistro in the hotel for dinner and it was good.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

GlobetrottingMan, it's great to hear that you were pleaseantly surprised. Your feedback is a tool to help us continue improving our product and the experience we offer. Come back soon!

Reviewed February 12, 2010

For the most part the Verdanza is a decent hotel, although not in the same class as some of the larger Carolina hotels. I'm sitting here writing this review from my room in the hotel. I need to sleep and I can't because there is so much noise from the restaurant, which is 5 floors down! The manager on duty came came up to my room, heard the noise, agreed with me and said there was nothing he could do because the hotel was full. He was nice, but he really couldn't offer any significant help to me. If you stay in this hotel, do not stay in any rooms above that restaurant. Actually, if you value sleep and you don't want to take the risk of not sleeping, then you probably shouldn't stay here at all.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank loudizzle
LorenaJOrtiz, Communications at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2010

Loudizzle, I am genuinely sorry to hear that the festivities due to St. Valentines and the Presidents' Day long weekend disrupted your rest. Verdanza enjoys a high percentage of business and corporate clients, partly because they prefer the peaceful ambiance that we offer, ideal for weary business travelers. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to impress you favorably next time business brings you to San Juan.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde
#4 of 13 in Isla Verde
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Four Points by Sheraton Caguas Real Hotel & Casino

Been to Verdanza Hotel? Share your experiences!