“Nice little hotel at the center of Isla Verde”
Review of Verdanza Hotel

Verdanza Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Verdanza Hotel is just a block away from the beach and the best hotels at Isla Verde. Good price, good service, and perfectly located. It is very well kept, well decorated, with ample rooms with a nice view. One block away you will find one of the most beautiful beach in San Juan, the best and most expensive hotels are located in this area. Children are welcome. You will also find within walking distance two small food courts, the bus stop, and a supermarket, and the airport. Locals from the condos and houses in Isla Verde love this place because it has excellent restaurants, tapas and bar. Try the chinese restaurant it is excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms at top floors overlooking the beach provide you with an excellent view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and his parents had a good time at the Verdanza hotel last weekend.
We were pleasantly surprised to find out that the hotel is very close to the airport, and only a $10-12 taxi ride from the airport. The cabs are regulated in zones for the city and have set fares. No need to negotiate with your driver.

We had originally booked king rooms, but there were none available when we checked in, due to a wedding I believe. Luis, at the front desk had us moved down the hall to king rooms the next day. Roberto, as well as the other door people were a great wealth of knowledge for any questions we had regarding restaurants, buses, walking tours, grocery store-just around the corner, or any other concerns we had about the city.

Our reservation included breakfast in the hotel, and you do need to let your server know this, or you will get a bill at the end of your meal. The breakfast buffet (which was the only option for the breakfast inclusion) was lovely with several options.

The coffee bar in the lobby was fantastic. Puerto Rican coffee is very smooth, not terribly strong and tasty.

We went to the Tapas and Wine bar several evenings during our stay. They have lovely wine flights and the sommelier(s) were very knowledgeable and accomodating. The ceviche was fantastic!

The beach is a short-2 block walk from the hotel. The waves were wonderful for body surfing. We rented an umbrella for the afternoon for $12. There were also chairs available for rent for $4 I believe. Snacks and light lunches were also available to buy from little kiosks on the beach.

We took the bus (T-9) to Old San Juan on 2 occasions. The fare is 75 cents/person-change only, no bills. The ride is an adventure through the city. It ends in Old San Juan at the bus depot, on the pier. It is just a short walk from there to Pier 2 where you can catch the ferry across the bay to go the the Bacardi factory and (free) tour. The ferry ride is 50 cents. You don't need exact change to buy the ferry tickets. Because we did this excursion on Veterans day, the buses were VERY SLOW, and we opted to take a cab back to our hotel from the Bacardi tour. It was much faster, but cost $45 for the 4 of us. Well worth it at that time though.

We also took an excursion to the rain forest. A half day tour. Lovely and informative. It included a short guided hike in the forest.

Our last day we jumped on the bus again for another day in Old San Juan. The bus trip was considerably faster as it was a regular work day. We had a wonderful time walking around the city, at outdoor cafes and went to the spectacular fort. I would highly recommend this. I believe it was $3 admission for a self guided tour. The history there is amazing.

I have never been to Puerto Rico and the Verdanza before, and would go again. I found it to be very safe, people are friendly and helpful, and most importantly, hot.

Room Tip: I would stay in a room overlooking the ocean and garden.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ddrich
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Very good price for the room, with plenty of variety for dining, plus coffee shop and tapas!!! Wifi on all rooms and believe it or not the got a policy for pets that's allow you to come with your dog and stay all together !!! What else can you ask in the middle of Isla Verde!!!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cfnlaw
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Came here for a quick 3-day, solo birthday trip. The location is AWESOME! Super close to the airport (about $12 each way to airport), and a block away from the Carolina/Isla Verde beach (which, by far, I thought was the best beach in San Juan compared to Condado, Ocean Park & Playa El Escambron). This hotel was very close to shops, restuarants and bus stops. There's a Buffet-style restaurant at the corner, A nice puerto rican restaurant (Mi Casita), Wendy's, Burger king, etc. Also, one of the best, highly recommended restuarant Metropol is moments away! Take note that this is a bit far from Old San Juan and San Juan (about $20 cab ride each way), but I came for the beach so I thought this location was perfect. The room was AWESOME. Spacious, cozy, clean. Overall, I thought the hotel was very well maintained. I was a bit iffy to come here, considering previous negative reviews, but I'm glad I came for myself. I don't know what these people were talking about. One person made a comment on how the showers did not have hot water? I took the hottest bath in this hotel! And I'm from the northeast USA. THIS HOTEL WAS AWESOME and I will not hesitate to come here again on my next visit. Customer service was excellent. The concierge and tour attendant (Tina) were very nice and informative. Do not hesistate to ask them where the best beaches, restaurants, tours to go to! They are more than happy to voice their opinions! One downside is, the restaurants are a little on the pricy side. I ate at the spanish cuisine and the bistro 80/20 for breakfast once. Food was good, I was just turned off with the price. I paid $15 for the breakfast buffet at the Bistro 80/20 for what seamed like a "glorified" continental buffet with a couple of hot food varieties! But again, I just walked to the end of the block and feasted on the abundance of restaurants there! This hotel does not have a spa. They provide a business card of a company outside of the hotel who are more than happy to come to you for an in-room or poolside massage! (ask for their "four hands" massage). Their rooftop gym is beautiful. It is basically in a solarium type of room, it has a wraparound balcony with lounge chairs, over-looking the Carolina/Isla Verde area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Joelle B
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was originally placed to a suite by the pool area. For business purposes, I don't recommend it. I asked for another room, and I got transferred to the 6th floor. The room at the pool area was not well cleaned. The room on 6th floor was much better - at least to work, since it was reasonably quiet. Only missing item was the bath rug... had one for a couple of days and then they ran out of it. I asked for one, and I was told that all of the bath rugs were being cleaned... hopefully they will have the bath rugs cleaned for the coming week... I am staying at this hotel for 11 days, and running out of bath rugs on the second day of my stay does not make me feel really comfortable... breakfast is served at the 80/20 restaurant. OK breakfast. Boring. Same-all-same-all every morning. I once ordered pancakes, but they are expensive and I just could not eat them all - I just wanted a single pancake in order to avoid food wasting. It is a 3-pancake portion minimum and you cannot order less... there is not even a kids option for it... so not really flexible. Hotel staff is nice. As for the restaurants inside the hotel, I tried the caffe, the 80/20 and JH Yees. All OK... have not tried the Tapas Y Vinos Restaurant nor the Bar that carries a name I cannot recall at the moment.
For Families, I think that the pool area is cool. The guest laundry is good. USD 1.75 per load to wash and USD 2.25 per load to dry.

Room Tip: Depending on the trip purposes. If for leisure, then pool suites are fine. For business, definitely...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I traveled for the Veterans Day weekend. I traveled on a late evening flight and did not arrive at the hotel until after midnight. I was surprised to see a significant number of folks at the front desk with 1 hotel employee at the helm. I had about 3 parties before me and more folks arriving. The employee was actually quite the multi-tasker, checking in guests, answering phones, paging other hotel employees, receiving deliveries, etc... I believe his name was Freddie. He apologized repeatedly and I told him it was not necessary and complimented him on his skills. The common areas of the property itself appear to be in good shape to the naked eye although my room was very dated and the carpet in dire need of replacement. My room was located on the 8th Floor with a fairly decent city view. FREE WIFI. Overall the employees are very friendly. The hotel rates are very reasonable which make this property a great value for the location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AMoyet
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel was so accomodating in every way, I could not have asked for a better experience. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful! They even give you free water bottles! Sorry, but it's the little things that make me happy. It is in such a close proximity to local bars and restaurants that you don't even need a car. My husband and myself will DEFINTELY be coming back to this hotel. Luis Rodriguez, you definitely made this trip a success with your knowledge of the city and kindness.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 530, no balcony but it had a great view of the ocean!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple