“Clean and Great Staff”
Review of Verdanza Hotel

Verdanza Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed April 7, 2011

The hotel is a little older in the rooms but the service was great. We stayed for a conference and it was affordable, clean and the staff were very friendly. Its really close to Old San Juan (about a 7-10 min drive) so that was nice.

The bathrooms are kinda small and dated and the rooms are not that big but all you need for a short stay. A good value for money. I am sure the fancy hotels one street over are really expensive :)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed April 4, 2011

We spent 1 night here after getting off a cruise ship, we had to wait a day to catch our flight out. We arrived @ the hotel by 8:30 a.m. and were told they had a full house the night before so they weren't sure when our room would be ready, the lady at the desk took my cell # and said she would call when the room was clean. When I made the reservation 2 months prior I requested an early check in. We waited & waited & waited. After a couple of hours and noting others who came in awhile after us got a room within the hour. When we inquired after a few hours @ the front desk, she seemed annoyed & said she still had NO clean rooms. 5 hours later, no phone call,or apology for the long wait we got our room. The floor wasn't vacuumed and felt quite dirty. The hotel Bistro staff were also very unfriendly. We will not stay at this place again.

1  Thank Pegleg1_11
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Ok so after trusting the reviews for this hotel , something told me I might not like it. They are in the process of remodeling, so my advice is do not stay pool view because those are the older rooms which have MINOR upgrades to hide the true flaws. When we first arrived, I asked Joyanne (she pronounces it Joan) are we in a refurbished room, she hesitated, smiled the room has a "carribean feel to it and the other rooms are formal". From that point on I knew not to expect much. We arrived in the room, bed was decent but the room is overall OLD. I have plenty of pictures I will upload soon. The bathroom is beyond horrible, wall below the sink is cracked.

Our toilet was crooked, you walk into the bathroom and you have your granite countertop, then a stand up shower, the toilet was crooked, if it were not you would not be able to close the door to the actual shower area. When my boyfriend first entered the bathroom, there was dried urine on the toilet seat and the toilet leaked everytime you flushed it. I did not trust taking a shower bare foot let alone at all in the shower. We called to have the room changed and of course they never got back to us.

Its a good thing we were out all day and only slept and shower in the room. The pictures on the website of the rooms are beyond deceiving, beware that they NEVER show any pictures of the bathroom on the website. Do not stay at this hotel. The pool and hot tub were nice at FIRST! We mainly went tout to the pool at night, so we decided on our last day there to lay out most of the day in the day time. The pool was filthy, my boyfriend was in the pool and he saw a bag of crack floating around (of course it fell out of someones pocket obviously). He went to the front desk to tell them the pool needs to be cleaned and they lied and said it is cleaned every morning, we saw someone cleaning the pool for the first time during our last day. Also Internet Connection was very slow, you have to be in the lobby to get good connection! And you pay $10.70 a day for parking, ridiculous.

The look of the lobby fools people into thinking this is a good hotel, it is not. The only good thing is the beach is literally on the next block, the Eighty20 Bistro Restaurant in the hotel serves good food and so does JH Yees Asian Restaurant. I would never stay at this hotel again. I do not have the USB for my camera but I will load the pictures of our room. please if you stay at this hotel post pics of your room and bathroom. I was in room 1011. Beware!

Room Tip: Do not do Pool View!
2  Thank LoveRiri
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Staying at the Verdanza Hotel was an unpleasant experience, filled with many annoyances, and I would not want to stay there again. We booked through Priceline and paid $91 a night, and even at those prices – much lower than the hotel’s rack rates – I feel we overpaid. One of our belongings was apparently removed by housekeeping, and while it was an inconsequential item, the theft really left us feeling unsettled.

We were assigned a room in the hotel’s separate wing with balconies overlooking the pool. The balcony was a plus, since rooms in the main hotel building do not have them, but our pool wing room was poor in many ways: no hot water during our entire two-day stay(!); beaten-up furniture; an older, tube TV; an Internet cable connection that was hard to find in a mess of small wires on the floor beneath the desk; no shampoo.

After our room was serviced following the first night of our stay, we were unable to find a round travel neck pillow that probably cost us about $10. One of us had used it the night before and we had not taken it with us or thrown it out. We searched everywhere for it in the room and concluded that it had to have been taken by the hotel housekeeper. That gave us a very uneasy feeling, and we were glad we had left the room that day taking with us our more valuable property, namely our laptop and iPad. We called the housekeeping desk to complain about the pillow, but they simply said they’d look for it.

We were pleased that our room came with two complimentary bottles of Fiji water, the outdoor pool and hot tub were nice, and there was no Internet fee. But, on the downside, the hotel slaps its guests with a sneaky resort fee. Hello, YOU ARE NOT A RESORT but a two-star hotel with a pool! The resort fee was never disclosed at check-in, so I will be disputing those charges with my credit card issuer. Bizarrely, we were charged different resort fees for the different days: $8.80 for the first night and $9.30 for the second.

The hotel also would seem to play “Gotcha!” with guests over its pool towels. At check-in, each guest is given a ticket to exchange for a pool towel at the front desk. When you return the towel, you are given another ticket, maybe for the next day. The fine print says that if you do not have a ticket to return to reception when you check out, you will be charged a $20 fee. I imagine many guests toss out the tickets and are hit with the fee.

The final major negative for this hotel is that you must in fact stand in line at reception to check out, there is no sort of express checkout. We left at noon and had to wait in a long line to be helped by just one reception agent on duty, at a time when many people were checking in and checking out. For us, it was the final insult.

1  Thank CrazyCrunch
Reviewed March 26, 2011

this was our 2nd trip to the verdanza hotel. staff and hotel were amazing!! close to the beach, and all restaurants. I think that this hotel is the best value in san juan. will definitely be back in 2012.

Reviewed March 25, 2011

Room was very small, bathroom was extremely small. There was just one trash can per room (including bathroom). Bed was bent in the middle. Stuff was very friendly. Pool area is great: nice garden, wide pool, big hot tub. Coladas restaurant was my worst experience ever. We waited one and a half hour for our food, which was in very small amount on a dish and overroasted without any veggies or sauces (except ketchup in a big bottle). Even though we paid a fair amount of money, we left the restaurant hungry. They charged us for half a glass of wine as for full one (there was no menu for drinks). While sitting there, we saw a few clients disputing their receipts. In contrast with it, bistro Eighty20 was very good with amazing food (delicious calamari, shrimps, margarita) and excellent waiter. Panderosa steakhouse (across the street) was very good with buffet where you can eat a lot for affordable money. In the lobby you can order different tours. We liked 1/2 day rainforest trip. Guide Tony was very nice and very good driver. I would not recommend to rent a car, since there was traffic without any rules (pretty easy to get into accident or be lost on the super narrow roads to rainforest). Beach is nice and pretty close to the hotel, not very crowded. Although pets are not allowed on a beach, we saw a lot of owners with dogs. Their pets were relieving themselves close to us. Avoid secluded areas of a beach because of possibility to be robbed. We saw two very strange guys playing with rackets without any belonings. They appeared from nowhere in front of us and approached our belonings when we were in the ocean . When we changed our location they left.
So, if you can't afford much money for your vacation, then this hotel is a good option. In general, in San Juan watch your purse, all belonings and check out all receipts.

2  Thank natakerr05
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We arrived here after a nightmarish stay at the Coqui Inn in Isla Verde. Found this hotel on Priceline name your own price for 90.00 per night. This is rare for this area. Hotel Verdanza was once a Holiday Inn. The property is well manicured and upgraded throughout. This has a boutique hotel feel. The front desk clerk Luis greeted me and provided me with an early check in as we could not wait to get out of the motel we were in. Our room would be ready by 3PM so we went to the pool to relax. The bellman Carlos, brought our bags to our room and welcomed my cousin and I. The staff was very warm, friendly and well trained to greet and accomodate. Our room was upgraded to a balcony from the pool area as the rooms there were only king sized. Not a bad thing, I was traveling with my female cousin and sharing a bed was not an option. We were given two double beds and a great room. The lamp shades were replaced as they seemed to be dated and not in great condition. I attribute this to the housekeeping staff not staying vigilant. A small consolation that was remedied quickly by the staff. There are two restaurants on the property and both have excellent service and food. The main restaurant in the lobby serves traditional Puerto Rican food and is a bit pricy. The other by the pool is lighter fare and offers a nice breakfast for $12 , well priced. The hotel is two city blocks from the beach and there are shops and other eateries everywhere. Be sure to get to La Lechonera restaurant, food was excellent and well priced. The hotel staff were always approachable and friendly, and did I mention nice to look at too. We attended the managers cocktail reception given on Wednesdays and the management staff was so friendly and accomodating. We met the VP of corporate sales, Reuben Vera and his staff who greeted us warmly. Turns out we shared some similar history with charter airlines, small world......Trying to get my company to stay here versus the Ambassador in Condado. Great hotel and staff......Would stay here again and again.....