“People who rate this hotel poorly expect the Ritz for zero.”

Coral by the Sea Hotel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York, New York, United States
“People who rate this hotel poorly expect the Ritz for zero.”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Yeah. This hotel [--] sucks. But it's also $60 a night. What do you expect? If I could've found a dumpier place for less, I would have.

I needed a place to crash from 2AM until the morning. And this was just fine for that. There's no frills. It's not very clean. But if you expect it to be, you're a moron.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mica D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed July 2, 2012

For four 20-something women on a budget this hotel wasn't bad but it certainly could have been a lot better. Our flight arrived around 4am and we weren't allowed to check into the hotel. We had spoken with someone beforehand who informed us that the earliest we would be able the check in was 8am which we all knew. However, when the cab pulled up to the hotel the security guard came flying out the door asking what we were doing and questioning if we had reservations and saying we couldn't check in. We were well aware of this and none of us appreciated his approach. Eventually he let us store our luggage.

Luckily there was a Denny's nearby to kill a few hours then we had to sleep in the lobby the rest of the time until around 7am when they let us know a room was ready. The one problem we kept having with this hotel was towels. We had to repeatedly call the front ask for extra towels as well as toilet paper. We also had to ask several times for a light bulb when the one in our bathroom went out but it seems like the staff was taking their sweet time with everything. There was also one day when the staff only changed the sheets and made the bed on one of the beds in our room.

The rooms are a little small but it was okay. Also around the last couple of days of our trip something happened with the elevator and only a max of 3 people were allowed. There's not much to the hotel but it's in a decent location near the larger chain hotels, a CVS or Walgreens, Denny's, a few other little restaurants and it's only a couple of blocks from the beach. For the price, Coral by the Sea was okay but I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank KatrinaWH
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I paid $70.00/night for a two night stay. Not an expensive hotel but still not cheap. I arrived at 3:30 pm, the room was approx 90 degrees and the air conditioner did not work, at all. Plus I tried to take a shower but had no towels. I tried calling the reception area, but phone in room didn’t work. I walked down to reception and told them of the issues. Nothing happened. Walked back down two hours later and was told I would get towels at 6 pm because they had none available. Nothing again. Walked back down 6:30 pm, to go to Dinner and was giving more excuses why I had no towels and that the AC had been checked and was broken. They would fix it by that night. Was called by the hotel while at dinner and was told that AC would be replaced. I begged them to leave me towels and they stated that they would. Arrived at room at 1:30 am, new AC working, no towels. Left room next day at 8 am and told reception I still hadn’t gotten any towels and I needed towels to take a shower. Returned from playing golf at 4 pm, and guess what, no towels. Walked outside the room and ran into the cleaning lady. I asked her for towels, in 15 min she brought me two towels.

Hartsville, SC
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Coral by the Sea should change their name to Last Resort. There are a tremendous amount of choices in the Isla Verde area. This was our first choice, due to the price. However, it was not a good hotel. I called the font desk to get the Wi-Fi code, and guess what, folks.... I was charged $3.00 for making a phone call. (I didn't call the hotel's main phone number, I simply dialed 0 to get the front desk.) Also, this is type of hotel where you have to go down to front desk to get the remote for the television, but make sure you take it back, or it's another trip to the room!

The other reviews are correct, in that the room was clean, the TV worked and the AC was functional. And as the other reviews state, if you are staying for one night, and will not be at the hotel, no problem. But, no matter how much you save, it's just not worth the difference. Stay somewhere else!

If I cannot sway you, and you are dead set on staying here, try to select your room cautiously. Depending on the room location, the noise from the airport could be unbearable.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel would be advisable.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I recently stayed here after spending a few days at another hotel in Old San Juan. I spent my first days in San Juan sightseeing and going out to El Yunque and avoiding the beach, and I figured on my last day that I would get a room at Isla Verde to spend all day at the beach, and be closer to the airport for my departure the next morning.

I came around 2:30 to check in and my room was ready, which was very convenient. The room was just enough for one person for one night...a bed, a bathroom, A/C. Granted, it's not the most comfortable bed or the quietest air conditioner, but is's also not a resort, and if you want a resort you can pay twice as much for what I'm sure are lovely resorts down the street. Honestly, if all you want to do is spend a day or two at the beach and you're a pretty low maintenance person, this is perfectly fine.

The woman at the front desk when I checked in was very nice and personable. There are two restaurants at which you get a discount for showing your room key. The beach is just right down the street. The bus to the airport is right across the street and it's a quick ride, which really can't be beat.

In short, good for a quick stay or a beach stay, particularly if you're not picky. If you're used to staying in Hiltons or more expensive resorts, you won't like this at all. But if you're low maintenance, or you're willing to compromise just a little bit of comfort to save a few bucks, this hotel is perfect.

2 Thank dc1990
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I was pleased with the hotel. I only stayed one night. The room was decent, nice TV and AC. The WIFI worked great and the hotel staff was kind enough to print my boarding pass. I would recommend it based on price. The location is nice because it's near everything (beach, restaurants, shopping). Parking is included. Overall good rate for a decent place.

1 Thank Jennifer M
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I'm a little late posting my review, I stayed here back in Nov 2011 on a cruise. I stayed a day before. This is the worst customer service ever! They wouldn't let me check n early, or even keep my bags. The floors were marble cold, very minimum accessories to use. I would not stay at this hotel again, nor would I recommend it, sorry, and I write very good reviews when I get good service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends