“Superb”

Zest Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Isla Verde
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Contemporary, Puerto Rican
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
NJ
“Superb”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Zest started off very slow to a point where we were getting somewhat annoyed. We were seated on time but waited far too long to be waited on and served drinks. Unfortunately, we had to be moved to a different table because of an issue. After being moved, we waited again. The place was packed with only 2 servers on hand. Zest is not a big place and it gets crowded. After waiting we finally got our appetizer. An incredibly tasting seafood bouillabaisse. The only thing missing was a good loaf of Italian bread. After another long wait we were finally served our dinner. I can't even describe how unbelievable my dinner of Sea Bass was. It was the most superb dish that I have ever tasted. Well worth the wait. I enjoyed every single bite and have never tasted something so fabulous in my life. Yes, it was that good!
However, the wait was just too much and needs to be addressed. Otherwise, this is a must do restaurant!

• Visited February 2014

Orefield, Pennsylvania
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We loved the décor and the food was delicious. Our waitress was very helpful. Great Puerto Rican food.

• Visited January 2014
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“The popcorn/cream/truffle soup is unbelievable”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This restaurant and hotel were recommended by a friend of mine who lives on the island - it is where her family vacations when in Isla Verde. (I only wish we had stayed at the hotel - see my review of the Verdanza.)
We made reservations on Open Table.
I am so glad we came for dinner. The restaurant is very sleek-cool (clear tables lit from underneath for example). It is divided into smaller rooms so it is not roaring loud...so I could actually hear my parents over dinner. The menu is creative and everything is beautifully plated. The popcorn / cream / truffle soup is incredible - one of the most memorable things I've ever eaten.

• Visited December 2013
Schenectady, NY
“So. Much. Salt.”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

After reading the reviews of this place, we decided we had to go there on our vacation while we were staying in Isla Verde. Everyone raves about the popcorn soup, so we ordered that and the clam chowder croquettes as appetizers to share. The croquettes were fine, though not amazing. The popcorn soup is plated well. It looks cute in the brandy glass on the little cutting board. But...it is awful. Unless you like drinking a thick cup of warm butter with a heavy/overwhelming truffle oil smell - if that sounds great to you, go for it. We couldn't finish the glass of it between the two of us and both decided even then it was sitting like a rock in our stomachs. (I'll also admit - there's a part of my brain that struggles with soup that has to be sipped from a glass. Brain wants spoon.) Husband had the salmon with the guava sauce. Again, plating was very pretty, but he found bland, other than way too much salt in the rice (with no other distinguishable flavor despite the "cilantro cocount" description) and there was very little sauce. I had the chicken with Israeli couscous and was convinced that the chef had tripped in the kitchen and dumped the entire salt container into it. The chicken itself was edible, though salty, but I couldn't even get through a third of the couscous. (Felt terrible for a couple of hours until I drank enough water to balance out all the salt.) Donuts for dessert were pretty good though and the coffee was also good. Maybe just go there for dessert, I guess.

Visited February 2014
Taunton, Massachusetts
“Had a good Time!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had been to the bar on a previous trip, the atmosphere is nice, the seating would be the only "issue" that I would see, unless you are at a big table it is really not condusive for comfort during a meal. We decided to eat at the bar, which was great, the bartender Raphael (It think) was gracious and very accomodating, I enjoyed my meal more than my wife, but she liked what she had, where I thought my meal was very good! It was a short walk from where we were staying, we would go back again.

• Visited January 2014