“Good hotel, but airport noise is unavoidable”

Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed December 8, 2013

There is a lot to like about this hotel: excellent beach with good beachside amenities and very good food options. Every room has at least a partial ocean view, and the TV channel selection is good - it even has NFL Network. The rooms are comfortable, though the bathrooms will soon be in order for a re-do. The chief issue is the airport noise - the jet blast from takeoffs is loud and frequent. The hotel is literally as close to the runway than the terminal. When I stayed here (and reviewed the hotel) a few years ago, the jet noise seemed to cease by 10 p.m.and not resume until after dawn. Now, it goes well past 11 p.m. and resumes before dawn. If you are a light sleeper, this is a problem ... and I advise staying on the west side of the hotel. You'll get only the beginning of the takeoff blast instead of the much longer final blast, but you'll have to pay with a reduced beach view.

Room Tip: Stay on the west side to minimize airport noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Travelingman16
Write a ReviewReviews (2,831)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Courtyard was a great hotel for the price. The beaches are great in comparison to some of the other hotels I have stayed at in Puerto Rico. The Ritz Carlton is only a few blocks away so there are other options. Small casino if you are into that but a few restaurants to choose from as well as a pool bar and active nightlife. I was there for work so didn't partake in too much but Friday night they had a live band in the lobby bar that everyone was dancing to. It wasn't just hotel guests, lots of locals come to the hotel to party.

One downfall is it's right by the airport so you can hear the planes taking off. If you want to go to Old San Juan it's about a $25 cab ride, but there are lots of options in the area around the hotel.

Room Tip: I had ocean view, would definitely try to get that side, otherwise you will be looking at the airpor...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank triboy123
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel is at a great location in Isla Verde. We didn't mind being so close to the airport. You could briefly hear the planes but get used to them very soon.
Everyone was very helpful. We had a small problem with our A/C but it was fixed immediately.

I stayed at this hotel 10 years ago on my honeymoon and it was great. I enjoyed it a lot. This 2nd time around I noticed that the rooms look and feel tired. Carpeting and Bathrooms are worn out. Perhaps a remodeling/refurbishing is in order.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cavv123
Reviewed December 6, 2013

In San Juan most locations are within 20 minutes, so, staying in Isla Verde or in Condado will only make 6 minutes difference if you are on a rented car. This Hotel is clean, very friendly staff and most of all has a beach front restaurant that can help you have the best day in San Juan.

i will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Miguel G
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the hotel and luckily the newly renovated pool was open...that part was great! The beach is beautiful and its nice as well as the outdoor area but the rooms need work. I am a Marriott Gold Elite member and YTD have spent 27 nights in Marriott hotels since Feb alone. I exhausted all of my points (over 180k) as well as paid for 3 nights for this family vacation to reserve 2 rooms for my family and my in laws.

1st night we had a room that the AC ran all night and the only way to turn it off was to crawl under the AC and unplug it (thermostat didn't work). My 2 yr old caught a terrible cold. Reported the incident and received a new room only to have the tub back up so when you shower you stand in 4 inches of dirty water. Then reported that and they said it was fixed but it wasn't so they sent someone again and finally snake it so it would drain. The thermostat will not go higher than 71 which is too cold for little ones so we had to sleep without AC on which made it fairly uncomfortable in the evenings.

I had to ask for any kind of consideration (despite being a gold member and having to change rooms) and the assistant front desk manager said the only thing she could offer me was a free breakfast for my husband and I or a free dinner with no alcoholic beverages ( so basically $50 max). I asked that my points be refunded instead.

Long story short, I had to ask for consideration despite having to change rooms 2x and should have changed again but didn't feel like packing up all of my stuff and my 2 yr old. Then they gave me one night of points (after I asked for a point refund) and when I asked for a refund of 2 nights they refunded the least expensive night to my card. I would think retaining a loyal customer and saving yourself a negative review would be worth more than $75. I guess not. I would say buck up and go to the Ritz or find a different hotel if you want to either not freeze or sweat to death while you're sleeping. My inlaws had to keep getting up to turn on and off their AC to get the temperature right. It was very disappointing since I travel quite a bit and was looking forward to using my points to spend quality time with the family. On the bright side the beach and pool were great and the service at the restaurants was good for the most part. I've had a more comfortable night's stay in a Fairfield Inn in Des Moines, IA. I gave this hotel average because of the location/beach/pool and the service at the pool and restaurants was good, but my experience with the management was very disappointing. I just didn't get the sense that they really cared. It was pretty much like "Ok, well do you want to change rooms AGAIN?" Not impressed.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room past 27 and that ends in 7 otherwise you could stuck hearing the runway...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DVW2013
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I took my family to this hotel over thanksgiving break for 4 nights. The beach was clean and well maintained and so was the pool. My kids loved the pool despite the cloudy and rainy weather. The ocean was very rough and we saw two strong men who had to be helped out of the ocean because they were stuck in rip currents. I didn't think the ocean/beach was anything special here and IMO the beach is much nicer in Miami. The casino was fun and the front desk staff were nice and helpful. We enjoyed eating breakfast at the banana place in the lobby. The staff there were excellent. I also had a chicken ceasar salad from the hotel which was very good. We ate at Salsa once and it was just ok. The plane noise is ridiculous though. It wasn't all of the time, but it was loud. I actually appreciated the loud air conditioner in the room because it helped to block out the airplane noise. Sometimes it was so loud it rattled the balcony doors. It did not keep me up from sleeping at night though but the planes woke us up every morning around 7 am. We got the room for around 140 a night but with all of the fees, it adds on another 50 or so a night. The price wasn't worth it and we wouldn't stay here again. Also, I usually don't take the time to write a review. However, I read so many conflicting reviews about this place that I decided to stay here. However, for the price and the airport noise, it's a deal breaker for me. I would try one of the other hotels away from the airport. I'm looking forward to moving to another hotel tonight. We had already booked two hotels on the island prior to arrival to split up our trip on two different areas of the island. We did NOT change hotels because of the noise.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank caps8fan
Reviewed November 30, 2013

As you first walk into the lobby, you are welcomed by the friendly staff. You also will notice the Picante Bar, Ice Cream bar and Casino. Once in the room , the view from the balcony has a view of the beach and ocean. The downside of the room is the noisy ‘wall’ air conditioner, the non-working refrigerator and the in-room Wifi was spotty.

As you step outside the back of the hotel, the lounge area, palm trees, hammocks and beach was a beautiful site. Spent some time at the Oceanfront lounge area with cocktails, as we waited for all friends to arrive. The pool area was under construction which left us with the whirlpool and the cold pool. We had laid out on the beach, but where getting bit by sand fleas.

In the evening, we had gone to the whirlpool and have drinks. There we were getting bit by mosquitoes. As some friends smoke, they were told that the pool area is a No smoking area.

The Picante bar is a full bar. There are two big screen televisions with plenty of seating. They have a cocktail menu and food menu.

The following day, we converged at the whirlpool again. Again, we were bit by those mosquitoes again. Later that evening, having drinks outside in the lounge area, we were told that there was no smoking and had to move onto the beach. As we were on the beach and grass area, some were scratching from bugs and fleas.

If you are staying here and going onto the beach or lounge at the whirlpool area; use insect repellant and you should be fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!