“Beach and Pool are Great, but the rest leaves something to be desired” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Beach and Pool are Great, but the rest leaves something to be desired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the hotel and luckily the newly renovated pool was open...that part was great! The beach is beautiful and its nice as well as the outdoor area but the rooms need work. I am a Marriott Gold Elite member and YTD have spent 27 nights in Marriott hotels since Feb alone. I exhausted all of my points (over 180k) as well as paid for 3 nights for this family vacation to reserve 2 rooms for my family and my in laws.

1st night we had a room that the AC ran all night and the only way to turn it off was to crawl under the AC and unplug it (thermostat didn't work). My 2 yr old caught a terrible cold. Reported the incident and received a new room only to have the tub back up so when you shower you stand in 4 inches of dirty water. Then reported that and they said it was fixed but it wasn't so they sent someone again and finally snake it so it would drain. The thermostat will not go higher than 71 which is too cold for little ones so we had to sleep without AC on which made it fairly uncomfortable in the evenings.

I had to ask for any kind of consideration (despite being a gold member and having to change rooms) and the assistant front desk manager said the only thing she could offer me was a free breakfast for my husband and I or a free dinner with no alcoholic beverages ( so basically $50 max). I asked that my points be refunded instead.

Long story short, I had to ask for consideration despite having to change rooms 2x and should have changed again but didn't feel like packing up all of my stuff and my 2 yr old. Then they gave me one night of points (after I asked for a point refund) and when I asked for a refund of 2 nights they refunded the least expensive night to my card. I would think retaining a loyal customer and saving yourself a negative review would be worth more than $75. I guess not. I would say buck up and go to the Ritz or find a different hotel if you want to either not freeze or sweat to death while you're sleeping. My inlaws had to keep getting up to turn on and off their AC to get the temperature right. It was very disappointing since I travel quite a bit and was looking forward to using my points to spend quality time with the family. On the bright side the beach and pool were great and the service at the restaurants was good for the most part. I've had a more comfortable night's stay in a Fairfield Inn in Des Moines, IA. I gave this hotel average because of the location/beach/pool and the service at the pool and restaurants was good, but my experience with the management was very disappointing. I just didn't get the sense that they really cared. It was pretty much like "Ok, well do you want to change rooms AGAIN?" Not impressed.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room past 27 and that ends in 7 otherwise you could stuck hearing the runway...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DVW2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Polish first
York, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I took my family to this hotel over thanksgiving break for 4 nights. The beach was clean and well maintained and so was the pool. My kids loved the pool despite the cloudy and rainy weather. The ocean was very rough and we saw two strong men who had to be helped out of the ocean because they were stuck in rip currents. I didn't think the ocean/beach was anything special here and IMO the beach is much nicer in Miami. The casino was fun and the front desk staff were nice and helpful. We enjoyed eating breakfast at the banana place in the lobby. The staff there were excellent. I also had a chicken ceasar salad from the hotel which was very good. We ate at Salsa once and it was just ok. The plane noise is ridiculous though. It wasn't all of the time, but it was loud. I actually appreciated the loud air conditioner in the room because it helped to block out the airplane noise. Sometimes it was so loud it rattled the balcony doors. It did not keep me up from sleeping at night though but the planes woke us up every morning around 7 am. We got the room for around 140 a night but with all of the fees, it adds on another 50 or so a night. The price wasn't worth it and we wouldn't stay here again. Also, I usually don't take the time to write a review. However, I read so many conflicting reviews about this place that I decided to stay here. However, for the price and the airport noise, it's a deal breaker for me. I would try one of the other hotels away from the airport. I'm looking forward to moving to another hotel tonight. We had already booked two hotels on the island prior to arrival to split up our trip on two different areas of the island. We did NOT change hotels because of the noise.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank caps8fan
Carson, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

As you first walk into the lobby, you are welcomed by the friendly staff. You also will notice the Picante Bar, Ice Cream bar and Casino. Once in the room , the view from the balcony has a view of the beach and ocean. The downside of the room is the noisy ‘wall’ air conditioner, the non-working refrigerator and the in-room Wifi was spotty.

As you step outside the back of the hotel, the lounge area, palm trees, hammocks and beach was a beautiful site. Spent some time at the Oceanfront lounge area with cocktails, as we waited for all friends to arrive. The pool area was under construction which left us with the whirlpool and the cold pool. We had laid out on the beach, but where getting bit by sand fleas.

In the evening, we had gone to the whirlpool and have drinks. There we were getting bit by mosquitoes. As some friends smoke, they were told that the pool area is a No smoking area.

The Picante bar is a full bar. There are two big screen televisions with plenty of seating. They have a cocktail menu and food menu.

The following day, we converged at the whirlpool again. Again, we were bit by those mosquitoes again. Later that evening, having drinks outside in the lounge area, we were told that there was no smoking and had to move onto the beach. As we were on the beach and grass area, some were scratching from bugs and fleas.

If you are staying here and going onto the beach or lounge at the whirlpool area; use insect repellant and you should be fine.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ppinoy
Highland, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

i just had a 4 day stay at this hotel, and was so pleased with everything. my room 622 was large almost a junior suite, but its considered a deluxe standard, beautiflul view. the bed and linens great one thing tho,room needs new carpet. the food was all very good, and fare priced as were the drinks. happy hour drinks $4.00 . we had thanksgiving dinner buffett, everything was delicious, once again very good price. The front beach area and deck pool area, so very comfortable, wonderful lounges. all in all would return here in heartbeat. The staff very helpful. It needs some
updateing, in rooms and hallways, which are underway. Airport noise, no factor at all.

Room Tip: 622 great room, room closest to beach, without being ocean front, but ocean view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank D0rinda
Sayreville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

A wonderful place to stay and is a great location for travel east or west in Puerto Rico. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We were especially impressed with the front end staff who went out,of their way to help us in any way possible. We have stayed there twice before and will do so again.

Room Tip: Ocean view junior suite is wonderful but all rooms are great. Especially the beds! The casino and lo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

As many other reviewers have mentioned, the staff at this Courtyard were incredibly nice; and that's enough for me to say that I would come back here. That being said, it was not the perfect hotel and you should set your expectations accordingly.

The pool was under construction while we were there, which was very disappointing and a little bit noisy. I wish they would have informed us before our stay about the construction because we might have stayed somewhere else.

The hotel is right by the airport, but the rooms have a double door to the balcony, which cuts down on the sound. I did not hear the planes while we were in the room (though I did hear the construction noise from the pool), but you would hear it from the beach/pool/outside dining area etc.

The airport noise is more than overcome by the amazing beach. Isla Verde has a beautiful beach and you won’t get to experience it without accepting the airport noise (which really is not bad at all). The hotel is right on the beach and they provide chairs and umbrellas and towels for guests. There are beach bugs in the morning and evening, so just pack some bug spray; not really a big deal. There is a swim up bar which is only open in the afternoon (I wish it was open in the evening too) and they have happy hour on rum drinks from 3-6(?).

The restaurants in the hotel are good, but overpriced. You can find a local place (I suggest Metropol for lunch/dinner or Las Canarias or Piu Bello Gelato for breakfast – both walking distance) for MUCH cheaper with the same quality. Or better yet, go into Old San Juan and grab some local food there, but don’t plan to bring home leftovers – the mini fridge is so tiny it won’t hold a to-go box.

The best things about the hotel were the beach and the great staff and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jennyrenny06
Henry N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. As you mentioned, our pool is currently undergoing renovations. Half of the pool as well as the swim up bar and grill are open. The other half of the pool is being worked on. The pool will completely reopen for Thanksgiving Day. We are very excited as we are sure that the remodeled pool area will enhance overall guest experience. Thank you for the comments about our staff. We would love for you to visit us again. Please contact me before our next visit, in order to give you a complimentary room upgrade. Feel free to contact me at 787-648-8834 or hneumann@sjcourtyard.com.
Loudon, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We just returned from a four night stay at this great hotel. This was a mother/daughter trip and we had a wonderful time touring Old San Juan and shopping. It was so nice after a long day of fun to return to this hotel where the staff was so accommmodating. Everyone we met was super friendly and very knowledgeable. The general manager Rafael Lebrom wanted to make sure our stay was a great experience since we had not been on a mother/daughter trip in several years. He was so kind to give us an upgrade to a Junior Suite that was ocean front. The accommodations proved to be so relaxing with a wonderful view. It was tempting to just sit on the balcony and feel the ocean breeze but of course the shops in the old town were calling our name. We did spend one day at the beach soaking up the sun. The beach was very clean and the chairs, umbrellas and towels were complimentary. There was always a staff member coming by making sure we comfortable and asking if we needed anything to drink.

This hotel also had several places to eat but one of our favorite things to do in the evenings was to talk with Stephanie or Cesar at the Banana's Ice Cream Parlor & Cafe while they prepared our favorite and most delicious chocolate milkshakes. Both Stephanie and Cesar always gave us great tips on places to eat and shop in the Old City and by the end of our five days we not only made two wonderful friends but I am sure carried home a few extra pounds from those awesome milkshakes.

This Courtyard was more than just your standard Marriott Courtyard but exceeded our expectations with being an outstanding resort. We enjoyed everything about our stay but I believe the staff made all the difference in what could have been just an ordinary stay making it an extraordinary visit.

Thank you again, Rafael, Stephanie and Cesar. If we ever come to Puerto Rico again this will be our hotel of choice and we will hope we have the pleasure of seeing you all once again.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Junior Suite was excellent.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#18 of 46 in San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,676 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!