“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Newport News, Virginia
“Mixed feelings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent customer service .. nice room..didnt like that coffe maker was in the bathroom! Germs!! Dingy white tiles...old metal shower head... happy hour only covered beer...pricey drinks but not watered down...good meals not a lot of food thou... casino inside but I didn't visit... pool area ok ...could use touch ups n renovations wear n tear shows...nice outdoor furnishings couches n comfy hammocks to relax in..if u don't mind the smokers caz they place the ashtrays next to the hammocks n couches so u cnt just enjoy the fresh air...nope...close proximity to airport so u will only pay taxi a few bucks but u will also hear n see every plane that takes off.. airline emps r used to that lol... the neighborhood is ok...short @ or 3 block walk to restaurants n walgreens..mosquitos will buffett u so bware!!! U feel it days later... beach clean not a lot of seaweed n debris to mess up the view beautiful teal water n beige sand...wth cigarette butts of course...n a couple stray cats n dogs lol... no hagglers selling n harrassing tourists either... Iwould return for the affordability also they hold $100 for inccidentals they don't explain that before swipping lol smh...oh n I caught a neighbor peeping at me from balcony across...I think its apartments bware ..

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank JAZZ P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Ok, this hotel is very nice and I have no complaints about the rooms or the facilities. However, my stay there and remaining holiday has been completely ruined by by sitting on the beach directly outside the hotel in one of their hammocks. After checking in we went to sit on the beautiful beach and spent an hour there. Following this, my legs, arms and back erupted with hundreds and hundreds of angry red bites which are unbelievably itchy and ugly. I am writing this 4 days later and they are still just as bad. I had to see a doctor who couldn't believe the severity of them.
When I returned to my room I saw a tiny notice warning about these bugs which was hidden away in a closet. Too little, too late. My stay there was ruined and it has wrecked the rest of my vacation.
Warning: if you are considering a stay at this hotel bear in mind this potential hazard and pack gallons of insect repellent.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
22 Thank Calmcglaughlin
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the incident that affected your stay. As in any part of the Caribbean there is a possibility of being bitten by insects. Insects like the Sand bite (Family Ceratopogonidae) which is endemic to the Caribbean and is commonly known as no-see-ums or biting midges. These tiny biting insect are barely visible to the naked eye, but as you experienced their bites can be very annoying but not harmful to human health. The challenge we have with this insect is that it only comes out during sunset hours and under specific temperature, humidity and weather conditions and it is less active during the winter and spring.

I truly sorry to know that in your particular circumstance it ruined the remainder of your vacation, with that in mind we would like to restore your faith and trust in us. Please, in your next visit to Puerto Rico, I personally would like to make your reservation arrangements and offer you a special rate and complimentary room upgrade. We look forward to welcoming you back so that we may extend our hospitality to you under more pleasant circumstances. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at 787-388-3043 or jpadin@sjcourtyard.com.

José C. Padín
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Super friendly service, good location right in front of the beach, hotel restaurants are pricy but very good. The beach is nice, the water is not clear....On the negative side: TV never worked during my 4-night stay (even after reporting it at the front desk every single day...I guess I was too nice and respectful so they never paid attention), wireless internet in the room was always so slow I couldn't stand it (always would wind up switching to 4g to avoid the aggravation). One last thing, I went Old San Juan via cab, I was told at the front desk it was $19 dollars but at the destination the driver said it was $21...no big deal but I thought it would be worth noting it here. Overall balance the stay was good (probably because I rarely watch TV anyway, what bothers is that you are paying full price for something you don't get....).

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jguti69
Henry N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Puerto Rico. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the beach and received friendly service from our staff. I would like to apologize for the situation with television. One of our engineers visited your room on 10/6 and 10/7, while you were out. He checked the TV on both occasions and the regular programming was working. On those days, we did have a situation with the movie purchasing system. Movie purchasing through the TV was not available during your stay. The system has already been fixed and we also have DVD players in every room. Our engineer should have left you a note indicating that he had visited the room. Please let me know if I can be of additional assistance. Feel free to reach me at hneumann@sjcourtyard.com or 787-648-8834. Stay with us during your next trip to Puerto Rico and I will give you a complimentary room upgrade.
Have a wonderful day,
Henry E. Neumann
Assistant General Manager
Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed 2 days before a cruise. Great way to start our vacation -- beach was great, service was fine, would stay again if in Puerto Rico.

The powers that be should think about keeping pool bar open a little longer (5pm to early to close).

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I decided on a longer honeymoon, with a stop in the mainland first, and we flew into San Juan for 5 days to enjoy the "second leg" of our honeymoon. As soon as we got out of the taxi, we were immediately greeted by the guys with, "Welcome home." When booking our reservation it said we would get a low floor, ocean view, a 20% Dragonfly Tour discount and Enterprise REnt a Car discount. They put us on the 11th floor, which was fine by me! We had a great view of the Ocean and beach! This room is considered an "Ocean view" room because the balcony area is angled, but you have a perfect view of the ocean. The restaurant is down below, but on a high floor, you really can't see anything.

We ate dinner in Salsa our first night there. They had no problem translated the specials for us as they were written in Spanish. We had great service in the restaurant.

We frequented the pool, which was clean and relaxing. We were always at the pool bar, Papaya, and Terry at the pool bar was AMAZING!! Every day we showed up he remembered exactly what we had ordered and asked if we wanted it again. He told us a lot about the island, including historical. He was amazing and made a huge part of our trip!!! What we didn't understand is why the pool bar closed at 5 every day. The bar and pool would be FULL of people drinking and eating, and at 5, when the bar closed, everyone left the pool. I can't help but think Marriott is losing money by closing when you have a bar full of people! That was one thing that set us back a little bit, but it wasn't anything big.

On Saturday's and Sunday's Salsa only has a buffett for $25 dollars for dinner. What was on the buffett didn't really look desireable, so we chose to eat at Picante, which had a pretty limited menu. It took a while to be waited on, and our waitress was less than attentive. Our nachos came out, and they were so soggy, you could tell that the ingredients on them had been sitting for a while. My french fries were ice cold. We let the manager know, and she corrected the situation right away and brought us out food. We weren't aware that regular soft drinks did not have free refills! Imagine our surprise after having 5 or 6 sodas and being charged $3 dollars a pop!!! Marriott definitely gets you there on that. There is NO WHERE in that area where they say that sodas are not free refills. We were a little disturbed by this. Overall, we never visited Picante any more, though the manager was extremely attentive to making the situation right when our food was cold and soggy.

We also ate at Banana - the first night we had a brownie sundae that was overflowing at the bit with ice cream and every topping you could think of. We also had breakfast there one morning (Bagel and cream cheese will cost you $2 and a muffin is around $2.75, practically the cheapest restaurant in the hotel). On our last night we ordered a pizza from Banana and Tannelly was our waitress. She was PHENOMENAL! She was so attentive, constantly checking on us to see if we needed anything else, and even letting us know that she was going on break and she would be back in x amount of minutes in case we wanted to close our our tab (we had already had dessert and was finished our meal). You couldn't ask for better service.

On one of the days, I asked the concierge about the 20% Dragonfly tours and she said she had no idea what I was talking about. She then showed me a brochure for some other tour company, and kept pushing that on us. It seemed that no one knew about Dragonfly Tours, so I'm not sure why that was a "selling" feature when making the reservation. Unfortunately, that 20% got wasted in the shuffle of things.

We ended up doing a lot by taxi, which will cost you anywhere from $15-21 one way to Old San Juan (not sure why this price always changed?) We didn't feel comfortable taking the bus, because we really didn't know the area. There is a Walgreens 3 blocks from the hotel and within walking distance - though the lady in the gift shop suggested that we do not walk at night. The gift shop has a few last minute items if you need anything, though everything was on sale and it appeared that they are either moving or closing for good.

The casino gets busy at night, and i found I hit more during the morning hours than in the evening.

The beds in the hotel are UNBELIEVEABLE!! They are so comfortable, and probably one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. We took the name and model of the mattress down so we can check it out when we need to get a new mattress. The walls however, in the room, are somewhat thin. We had a connecting room, and where we couldn't hear the people on one side of our room, the room with the connecting door, the first three nights we were there, the people were loud and obnoxious at 6 AM in the morning. I really didn't want to move my room, so I never complained, but it was only on one side of the room. I feel like it's a given at any hotel and really just the luck of the draw if you happen to get next to a person who is loud.

While we were there we endulged in a couples massage. It was relaxing, though the downside is, you are right near the pool. They may want to look into moving the massage area, as, a massage isn't as relaxing when you have children running and screaming in front of you. Though, I know this isn't any fault to the massagist, the hotel should REALLY look into moving their massage tables. For $200 it could have been a lot more relaxing then it to be disturbed by children running and screaming.

Overall, our stay at the hotel was good. Tannelly and Terry made this experience wonderful for us. You're right on the beach, you have a nice pool, and really, every ammenity you can think of - my suggestions to make it 5 stars - Papaya staying open later if you have a bar full of people, moving the massage area, and letting people know if there are free refills or not. People work hard for their money! If you chose to stay here, it's well worth the money paid, and you are close to the airport, which means, you can use the amenities a little bit longer before checking out!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jenn P
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location, close to restaurants and stores. Value was average compared to others but having the beach in your backyard makes it worth it! Casino on site as well as a pool. Staff was great and visitors were friendly. Take the .50 cent bus to old San Juan instead of a taxi for $20. Hotel is minutes away from airport which leaves more time to have fun! I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank klasallejr
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel is a little dated, but the beach is one of the best we visited, next to a Ritz Carlton so you know you are in a nice area. Last hotel on the east end of Isla Verde, nothing to the east but sand, surf and sun. The staff were awesome,casino was fun with pretty loose slots. Rooms were nice, comfy beds, nice linens and great service from housekeeping. Spring for an oceanfront room if you plan on spending much time in it. Partial ocean views have a view of the roof below AC on the roof made it impossible to enjoy the sound of the surf while on our balcony. Food is hotel quality, and expensive. Walgreens and plenty of recognizable food spots a short drive down the blvd. We rented a Hyundai for $8.75 a day, but when you add $16.50 a day to park at the hotel per day, you realize why they rent cars so cheap!

Room Tip: Ocean view, or east side gave better views, higher floors give great views and are farther from roof...