“Stepping into Paradise”

Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I felt like I stepped into Paradise the moment I entered the resort! This resort is a tropical oasis with the most beautiful beachfront right out the backdoor of the resort! The restaurant choices in the resort are all amazing with gorgeous indoor and outdoor seating like you are right on the beach! I loved the many hammocks under the beautiful palm tress right out the door on the white sandy beach! Pool with swim up pool bar was so relaxing and you must try the Mango Madness! The resort would go out and set up your umbrella and chairs under the palm tree of your choice or right out in the warm sunshine...always a breeze and WHAT A BEAUTIFUL beach! You do not have to leave the resort to have the Puerto Rico vacation of a lifetime! The staff was amazing and so friendly...would go out of their way to please you! Each day the staff would teach us a Spanish "word-of-the-day" or phrase. Would recommend this resort to others.

Room Tip: We stayed ocean front, but believe ocean view would be just as spectacular
1  Thank Michael N

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Pretty decent hotel. Food options were okay - bit overpriced, but it makes sense considering the beach front location. Happy hour wasn't too amazing, but only because the happy hour choice was literally rum with a mixer (think of a typical college drink). Casino had $3 to $5 dollar Black Jack mins, depending on time, so that was fun.

Bed was comfortable, beach was amazing, staff was very friendly. Given the proximity to the airport, I was worried about noise, but I found that you couldn't here it at all inside. Minimally on the beach, but it wasn't bad.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Curious1991
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This hotel was recommended to us by our San Juan office and we were not disappointed. We went for a long weekend and it was the perfect place to be for 3 nights. I'm a Marriott platinum member for several years now and I tend to be picky about hotels, but this was by far the nicest Courtyard property that Marriott has. The beds were super comfy and I slept great there. As other reviews mention, and as many properties in the area are old, this one has been well maintained and doesn't smell or feel that old.

We checked in a few hours early and received an upgrade to an ocean view room on the top floor. After the porter brought our bags up (I normally bring my own but they were so nice when we arrived I just said yes) we noticed that our room was next to the ice machine and the door to the ice machine room was super squeaky. The porter called down to tell the front desk that we needed another room and we were settled into our new room within 5 minutes.

We had lunch at the pool bar which was perfect after being on the plane all morning and not wanting to wander far. 2 drinks and 2 meals was about $45, more than your average lunch but about right for a hotel on the beach. We had breakfast at the buffet both weekend days and enjoyed it as well. We also had lunch at the other outdoor restaurant and it was delicious.

The beach is ahmazing! There is no other way to describe it. The beach boys bring your chairs and an umbrella and set it up wherever you want it. We didn't use the beverage/food service on the beach but it seemed to pretty decent. The pool was equally as nice and we spent our afternoons lounging/napping in the chairs followed by cocktails at the swim up bar. The happy hour was great, we enjoyed a few rum drinks each night.

There was live salsa in the Picante lounge each night and it was packed with mostly locals and some hotel guests.

The hotel gym was also fantastic- one of the best I've seen and compares to a full service Marriott gym. The equipment was new and the gym was well maintained. The gym overlooks the pool and beach which was nice to see while working out.

Overall great experience, would definitely recommend it and will go back soon.

We loved the local food at Metropole which was walking distance from the hotel. We also had lunch at Brother Jimmy's at the El San Juan hotel. I've been to the NY Brother Jimmy's and this one is exactly the same. It has an amazing view of the beach being on the 10th floor. It's safe to walk around at night- a cab ride to Old San Juan is $21 each way so spend some time down there if you go. We just had dinner down there and felt that it was an expensive trip.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the ice machines have a view but can be noisy-
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Frenarena
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is a great choice for a mid-priced hotel in Puerto Rico. Isla Verde is a very nice area. The beach in front of the Marriott is fantastic. There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas. The beach-side service is great.

As other reviews state, it is right next to the airport. But the plane noise it not an issue. I didn't hear it at all in the room. And only noticed it a few times on the beach, but it is only a little louder than when a plane flies over my house.

The food in the restaurants is expensive, but around the same as any resort. The food at Sirena was very good. If you want a cheap choice for breakfast, Bananas in the lobby sells muffins, bagels and fruit.

I'd recommend a car if you don't want to eat in the hotel all the time. This is the last hotel on the strip and nothing too close to walk to. FYI, parking is $15 a day.

Every staff member was warm, friendly, and helpful. The room might need a little updating, but it was very clean and housekeeping was very attentive.

Overall, this was a great, relaxing vacation. I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: The ocean front room was great. But all the rooms have a side view of the ocean.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

As a long time Marriott rewards member I have stayed at a lot of Marriott brand hotels and by far this property is the nicest Courtyard I have visited. It's more like a mini Marriott resort than a Courtyard. The outside is really wonderful with tons of comfy outdoor seating where you can lounge and read a book or grab a cocktail and a meal. There is a swim-up bar- hammocks and benches on the beach as well as employees to set up your own little area on the beach with chairs, table and umbrellas. Now for the downside- the service. It's not terrible, it's just okay. In fairness, because the property is so nice perhaps I was expecting Marriott Resort service and that is why I was disappointed. It's nothing major- just the little things that make your stay especially great. We made two different requests (one for one more pillow and another to have someone come up and reset our alarm clock) and waited most the day before requesting AGAIN. We also found the concierge less than helpful- like pulling teeth to get her to call a restaurant to see when they opened. Despite the less than stellar service I would stay here again- the property just outweighs the service, I guess!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I loved this hotel and the balcony view was perfect. The outside at night was put together well. The hotel lobby had the best drinks ever and had a nice band playing music. I will def stay here again on my next trip to PR

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Terisa M
Reviewed May 20, 2013

our stay was good overall. we stayed 2 nights. the rooms are small and the bathroom needs major upgrade. however they had good restaurant and scenic views. the hammocks outside was very comfy and enjoyable.
the parking spots are very small, and its $15 a day. parking card did not work too well, but staff was fast to help.
the hotel is close to a lot of things to do and see. best place was pinones for food and drinks :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!