“Wonderful resort”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful resort”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard on Isla Verde for 5 nights and enjoyed every minute. The staff was extremely friendly from check in to check out. All of the rooms face the ocean but the East side has the best views, especially the high floors. Small resort, but it has everything you need, swim up bar, live music, casino(some older machines, but they serve the purpose). The restaurant was a little disapointing for dinner, but it could have just been our preference for other tastes. I definately would go back there again if I return to Puerto rico. It is located close to the airport but we didnt notice any noise problems from the airport. Taxi ride, $12 from Airport, $22 to old san juan. We rented a car for our trip to the rain forest for $45. Drive was fairly easy and was a lot cheaper than the tours.
Karla , the front desk mgr and Nancy were great to deal with. We hope to return.

Room Tip: as for East side, high floor. Dont pay extra for Ocean view.. All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rose B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Polish first
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 14, 2013

From the moment we pull up, when the doorman says "Welcome home!" until the day we leave, everyone on the staff is courteous, friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you. The pool with a swim-up bar is great, the beach and ocean are beautiful, and the hammocks strung between the palm trees were made for reading or sleeping or just lazing about. The menu at Sirena's has recently changed (within the last year) and, to my mind, the food has suffered a bit. But the food offerings are very good at Bananas and at the indoor bar/lounge. Even room service has never let us down. The rooms are always clean and comfortable with free wi-fi and (my favorite) 2 free bottles of water. A person can really get thirsty in the tropics.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better, especially on the pool side (otherwise all you see is the roof of t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alinem2003
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were notified when we checked in that the pool area would be unavailable the following night. What they did not tell us is that there would be extremely loud music for all of the rooms facing the ocean until 12:00am. Complaints to the front desk did no good. An organization with good customer service would have handled it in a different way. They would have said, " there will be loud music until 12:00am tomorrow night and we are going to give you $20 hotel credit for use in the restaurant or bar for you inconvenience". They way the Courtyards of Marriott handled it was totally unacceptable. My next visit to San Juan I will not be staying at a Couryard. Unless you like unexpected load concerts lasting until 12:00 and want to lose one of your nights on vacation I recomend you not stay there either.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Tom G
Watkinsville, Georgia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My first impression was not good as I turned into the self parking garage, spend the extra bucks and let them park your car. I wish I would have pulled up to the door and checked in. However, the front desk put my mind to rest and the bed won me over. Great bed! The room was clean, the hallway a little dark in the evenings, in the morning the lighting was perfect.
The garage, self parking, is in great need of signage and color.

The lobby was large, the restaurants looked good, and the coffee was excellent. The beach area was beautiful: hammocks, waves, huge beach, beach chairs, and outdoor sofas on the deck. A Storm had passed the day before and the waves were big.

The room was VERY quiet, I slept very well. No airport noise. The door is double paned and when you open the sliding door you hear the ocean, the hotel a/c, but when the door is closed it is very quite.

This place could use a upgrade, and I don't understand the resort fee its a hotel by the airport, but the outdoor sofa on the patio was nice.

We did not eat at the hotel but ventured into Old San Juan. The hotel had printed directions. Driving in San Juan is an experience, but we had a great time. We walked around and had dinner, nice place.

Yes, I would stay here again. I found a great rate but I feel like it is worth what their website ask. Stay a couple of days, enjoy the beach, see the city, I regret just passing through. However Vieques called!!!

Room Tip: My room overlooked the ballroom, I would ask to see it they had a room that did not overlook the bal...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Our family had a great experience at the Courtyeard, but the bartender at Sirena's was outstanding in accommodating our interests with food and drinks .. all with an excellent personality and pleasant smile throughout. The service Sally provided was far and above beyond the call of her duty and worthy of special recognition. She loves her job and shows it with this type of customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ed G
michigan
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here again this week for one night before an early morning flight out. I previously stayed here in 2011. I was disappointed to see that they still have not underwent any type of room renovation or upgrade. The rooms are outdated and boring despite the fact that they are clean. I have Platinum level in the rewards program and that did not seem to matter at this hotel. No upgrade was given. The price you will pay to stay here is not a good value based on the rooms.
Pros-
Directly on Isla Verde beach - I slept all night to the sound of the waves with my balcony door wide open
5 minutes from the airport - good place to spend one night before an early flight out.

Cons-
Rooms are outdated and need a renovation!
Rates are not a good value for what you get at this property.
Can be noisy at times due to the close proximity of the airport.
No perks for being the highest level in the Marriott rewards program - Platinum.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank hobiecatsailor
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Let me preface my review by saying that I'm a Marriott rewards member and have stayed at a number of them and I can't believe this one even calls itself a Marriott. The Customer Service was TERRIBLE! I have never met people so obviously fake. Considering the amount that they charge per night they should have sufficient funds to train their people right!
Food was gross. Every single restaurant as well as the room service had the exactly same food and none of it was fresh. It all felt tasteless and felt like they just picked it up from the frozen foods section. Not what you expect to eat on an island. The cakes they offered for dessert stood there for the entire 7 days of my stay. They were old and stale. The property itself was old. We even had a leak from the ceiling in our bathroom! The only thing that really saves it was the proximity to the beach. Otherwise I couldn't wait to get out of there. Not worth the cost or stress.

Room Tip: every unit has a tiny balcony, but the AC from neighboring unit will make so much noise you won'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pinkyndthebrain
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am grateful to be aware of the issues that you experienced. I am also very thankful to have this opportunity to assure the members of TripAdvisor that we take all comments and reviews extremely seriously.

I am really disheartened by your comment about our staff and food options. All of us at the Courtyard by Marriot Isla Verde are proud to have built our reputation over the years by having some of the kindest, most caring staff and we truly believe all our guests deserve to be treated with the highest level of service. All our training programs and standards have one common goal, to exceed guests’ expectations. In two words we are a “guest centric” company and the best testimonial are all the great reviews we get about our staff. For example the previous review not only describes all the food choices available to our guests but also makes reference to our great staff and service.

I would like to have the opportunity to personally apologize and learn more about your stay, as this is the only way we can address them and prevent similar problems from arising in the future, please contact me via email or phone.

To all Tripadvisors’ Users: Please rest assured that if you choose the Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort for your upcoming visit to Puerto Rico, we will do everything in our power to ensure your stay will be a pleasant one. Should you need any assistance during your stay or with a future reservation, special requests or would like additional information about the hotel, things to do, restaurants, the Isla Verde area or Puerto Rico, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail at jpadin@sjcourtyard.com or call me at 787-388-3043.

@ Your Service,

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 48 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!