“Unexpected Loud Entertainment With Disregard for Existing Customers” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Unexpected Loud Entertainment With Disregard for Existing Customers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were notified when we checked in that the pool area would be unavailable the following night. What they did not tell us is that there would be extremely loud music for all of the rooms facing the ocean until 12:00am. Complaints to the front desk did no good. An organization with good customer service would have handled it in a different way. They would have said, " there will be loud music until 12:00am tomorrow night and we are going to give you $20 hotel credit for use in the restaurant or bar for you inconvenience". They way the Courtyards of Marriott handled it was totally unacceptable. My next visit to San Juan I will not be staying at a Couryard. Unless you like unexpected load concerts lasting until 12:00 and want to lose one of your nights on vacation I recomend you not stay there either.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Tom G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Polish first
Watkinsville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My first impression was not good as I turned into the self parking garage, spend the extra bucks and let them park your car. I wish I would have pulled up to the door and checked in. However, the front desk put my mind to rest and the bed won me over. Great bed! The room was clean, the hallway a little dark in the evenings, in the morning the lighting was perfect.
The garage, self parking, is in great need of signage and color.

The lobby was large, the restaurants looked good, and the coffee was excellent. The beach area was beautiful: hammocks, waves, huge beach, beach chairs, and outdoor sofas on the deck. A Storm had passed the day before and the waves were big.

The room was VERY quiet, I slept very well. No airport noise. The door is double paned and when you open the sliding door you hear the ocean, the hotel a/c, but when the door is closed it is very quite.

This place could use a upgrade, and I don't understand the resort fee its a hotel by the airport, but the outdoor sofa on the patio was nice.

We did not eat at the hotel but ventured into Old San Juan. The hotel had printed directions. Driving in San Juan is an experience, but we had a great time. We walked around and had dinner, nice place.

Yes, I would stay here again. I found a great rate but I feel like it is worth what their website ask. Stay a couple of days, enjoy the beach, see the city, I regret just passing through. However Vieques called!!!

Room Tip: My room overlooked the ballroom, I would ask to see it they had a room that did not overlook the bal...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Our family had a great experience at the Courtyeard, but the bartender at Sirena's was outstanding in accommodating our interests with food and drinks .. all with an excellent personality and pleasant smile throughout. The service Sally provided was far and above beyond the call of her duty and worthy of special recognition. She loves her job and shows it with this type of customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ed G
michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here again this week for one night before an early morning flight out. I previously stayed here in 2011. I was disappointed to see that they still have not underwent any type of room renovation or upgrade. The rooms are outdated and boring despite the fact that they are clean. I have Platinum level in the rewards program and that did not seem to matter at this hotel. No upgrade was given. The price you will pay to stay here is not a good value based on the rooms.
Pros-
Directly on Isla Verde beach - I slept all night to the sound of the waves with my balcony door wide open
5 minutes from the airport - good place to spend one night before an early flight out.

Cons-
Rooms are outdated and need a renovation!
Rates are not a good value for what you get at this property.
Can be noisy at times due to the close proximity of the airport.
No perks for being the highest level in the Marriott rewards program - Platinum.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank hobiecatsailor
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Let me preface my review by saying that I'm a Marriott rewards member and have stayed at a number of them and I can't believe this one even calls itself a Marriott. The Customer Service was TERRIBLE! I have never met people so obviously fake. Considering the amount that they charge per night they should have sufficient funds to train their people right!
Food was gross. Every single restaurant as well as the room service had the exactly same food and none of it was fresh. It all felt tasteless and felt like they just picked it up from the frozen foods section. Not what you expect to eat on an island. The cakes they offered for dessert stood there for the entire 7 days of my stay. They were old and stale. The property itself was old. We even had a leak from the ceiling in our bathroom! The only thing that really saves it was the proximity to the beach. Otherwise I couldn't wait to get out of there. Not worth the cost or stress.

Room Tip: every unit has a tiny balcony, but the AC from neighboring unit will make so much noise you won'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pinkyndthebrain
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am grateful to be aware of the issues that you experienced. I am also very thankful to have this opportunity to assure the members of TripAdvisor that we take all comments and reviews extremely seriously.

I am really disheartened by your comment about our staff and food options. All of us at the Courtyard by Marriot Isla Verde are proud to have built our reputation over the years by having some of the kindest, most caring staff and we truly believe all our guests deserve to be treated with the highest level of service. All our training programs and standards have one common goal, to exceed guests’ expectations. In two words we are a “guest centric” company and the best testimonial are all the great reviews we get about our staff. For example the previous review not only describes all the food choices available to our guests but also makes reference to our great staff and service.

I would like to have the opportunity to personally apologize and learn more about your stay, as this is the only way we can address them and prevent similar problems from arising in the future, please contact me via email or phone.

To all Tripadvisors’ Users: Please rest assured that if you choose the Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort for your upcoming visit to Puerto Rico, we will do everything in our power to ensure your stay will be a pleasant one. Should you need any assistance during your stay or with a future reservation, special requests or would like additional information about the hotel, things to do, restaurants, the Isla Verde area or Puerto Rico, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail at jpadin@sjcourtyard.com or call me at 787-388-3043.

@ Your Service,

José C. Padín
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

My first stay in this hotel was back in 2002 and I've gone back every year since. I would recommend this hotel for singles, couples, family and business. I have stayed here for all those reasons mentioned and have always had a great experience. Each time I've encountered helpful and courteous staff. The hotel has gone through changes since my first stay but each change has been only better.

Rooms: I've stayed in all rooms from the suite to the standard. The most recent stay we had one of the newer remolded rooms and it was very nice. The carpeting and wall paint was good change from the previous decor. There's a nice sized flat screen TV with a DVD player in each room. A small mini fridge which is great to keep you bottle water cold which they provide for free in your room. The bathrooms are spacious and so are the tubs/showers. Depending on which side of the hotel you stay you can either have a great view or a view of the airport. I would recommend the partial ocean/pool view. The balcony has a table and chair setup which is nice to watch the sunset. Internet in the room is a plus. Depending where you are you can pick up wi-fi or if you have a laptop you can use the Ethernet connection.

Pools: The main pool is sectioned off into two parts by some palm trees which I think is great if you want to be away from the crowds on the other side who are at the swim up bar. The side with the swim up bar is great as well with multiple underwater seats and ample space for swimming. This kid pool is nice with a slide and sea creatures painted on the pool floor that gives it a great kid vibe. The baby pool is just perfect for a 1-2 year old. The Jacuzzi is nice although a bit small but was never full on our visits. There's wi-fi around the pool area but it tends to drop around the kiddy pools.

Restaurants: Bananas is great for snacks, hot dogs, pizza, grilled sandwiches. They have awesome Sunday’s for the kids.
The Salsa restaurant has a great breakfast buffet which I will admit is a bit pricey but there's a lot of options. The dinner buffet is also a bit pricey but a lot of options as well and the food is good. They have a menu on certain nights which is a bit more moderately priced.
The Picante bar is very cool with live salsa bands. The bartenders are generally nice but it gets crowded on the weekends and you might have to wait a while to place your order at the bar. If you sit at a table the waitresses are quick and friendly. You can also order finger foods. I really liked the fact that they have tables just outside of the bar area so my wife and I could enjoy drinks and the music while my son can eat his food.
The Papaya Grill located outside by the pool has some typical food, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches as well all of have always tasted good to us. It’s nice having an option to eat by the pool/beach without having to go back into the hotel. The mango smoothies are the best! The waitresses are very efficient and friendly.
Serenas is just outside of Salsa’s and during out last trip we realized it had gone a huge upgrade since our last stay. My wife and I were super impressed with this new change. The food was awesome and the drinks excellent! I recommend a Captain Shipwreck. They have nice sofa seating or tables. One night they had a nice jazz band playing. The ambiance is very nice and relaxing. The service was excellent.
Room service: It was a bit pricey but good food and quick as well.

There’s a video game room for the kids which is nice so that while my wife was at the casino I played video games with my son.

The only major complaint I have is that when you book a package that includes the breakfast. It seems that their computer systems at the restaurant don’t communicate well with the front desk computers. I've always had to mention upon check out that I had the breakfast package so that they can discount the cost, making checkout a bit longer than it should be. This has been one issue that I've seen no improvement on in all these years. Actually I feel that it was better before when you had a breakfast coupon because then it would be charged to your room. You would present the coupon and your breakfast was free. Now it’s added to your room and it’s supposed to be discounted at checkout but never is. Our last stay only 2 out of the 7 days was discounted so I had to go over the bill carefully.

Over all besides that I would say that the service at this hotel has always been great. We have never had any issues with any staff members, which I can’t say the same for the guests. Food is great, staff is great, and hotel keeps getting better. Like I said I've stayed here every year for over 10 years from a single guy to married with a kid. Each year we've had a great time! This is the only place we stay when we go to PR and hopefully it will continue to be. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a partial beach and pool view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex N
jacksonville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This Hotel is basically in the water, NO other hotel in Puerto Rico is so close to the beautiful caribbean beaches. The hotel is located in the perfect spot since is 2 minutes from the airport, in the midde of all the best hotels and specially gret restaurants within walking distance.If you decide not to hit the beach i fine the pool is basically inside the beach!!!! If you just want to relax no problem you can go outside and have a great meal in the beach with friends, colleagues or family and with in 30 seconds you are bck in your room. The service is excellent and the people are wonderful, and if yo don't speak spanish don't worry everybody is fully bilingual. I personally stayed in this hotel over 7 times including family vacations and I always have a great and fantastic time!! Please understand that PR do have various type of taxes, for example Resort Fee, Government tax, City an State Taz and even the valet parking Tax that can easily add to $90 dollars extra the night, but if you really want to enjoy a great stay YOU will NOT regret it!!

Room Tip: Make sure you booked a water fron room with a balcony so you can enjoy the beautiful caribbean ocean...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#18 of 46 in San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,675 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!