“Watch your bill!”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“Watch your bill!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel is ok, but not as nice as most Courtyards. Our room was clean and our bed was comfortable. We didn't have any problems with the airport noise. The food at the hotel was a bit overpriced and not that great. We enjoyed Metropol down the street for meals. I stayed here for a 5 day vacation with a large family and the goal was convenience. That was met. The hotel is 5 minutes from the airport and the property has everything you need. The pool was lovely and spacious. The beach was nice, but the ocean was very rough. We saw someone being swept out by the undertow and there is no lifeguard. This has nothing to do with the hotel, but the overall area was too touristy and gritty for my taste. The most important thing is to watch your bank statements after you leave. Several days after we checked out there was a charge for an additional $900 in unjust charges on my bank statement after I had already paid in full. It took me several calls for them to return the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank nyckirsten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Polish first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our trip to Puerto Rico was wonderful. We stayed at the lovely Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort. The highlight of our stay there was dinner on the beach at Sirena Restaurant. Our hostess, Coral del Mar and waitress Cristina, are very gracious and always have a smile for you. The service we received is impeccable and the dinner and desert so delicious. They even offered to write down for me the name of a local beer, Cofresi.
Be sure to ask for these two lovely ladies, Coral del Mar and Cristina on your visit!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here in Dec 2012 for a few days with a friend. The rooms are average for a courtyard but the staff was very friendly and helpful. The beach is nice but the white sandy beaches you may want. It is far from old San Juan and about a 20 dollar taxi ride. I had a great trip and would stay in the for the lower rates, but I rather stay closer to Old San Juan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My fiance and I stayed in this hotel for a six day vacation. Although it was the low season, the hotel was still well kept, the beach was clean, and there was plenty to do to keep busy. We especially liked the staff, as Alicia was very sweet and definitely helpful since it was our first time in PR. Buses are close by and are only .75 and travel all the way to the old town and back almost all day! We will definitely be back to San juan and will check into CYMarriott again!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank popemk99
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and for giving us the opportunity to serve you. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and our beautiful beach. I will share your comments with our staff and will personally congratulate Alicia for her superb customer service.

Should you need any assistance with future reservations or special requests, please do not hesitate to contact me. Hope to see you soon!

@ Your Service,

José C. Padín
jpadin@sjcourtyard.com
787-388-3043
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed staying here. Came 4th of July what you get for the price of the room is very good. Very nice view on the balcony overlooking the beach. They have a restaurant in the lobby. Also, very clean and the staff was nice and helpful. It's right on the Isla Verde strip so you're in walking distance of all night diners and stores and its right on the beach

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank JustPassingThru22
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had gone to Puerto Rico October 4th – October 9th in 2012 to see my girlfriend and her family who are natives there. I am from New England so I was really excited to get away from the cold. When I arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly girl. She said they had a room reserved for me on the third floor. I asked if they had a higher floor with an ocean view available. She said it would be about a two hour wait. Fortunately since my girlfriend lives there, I didn't have to stick around the hotel and wait, even though the premise is beautiful! They allowed me to store my luggage there, and we left for San Juan for lunch while we waited. I'm glad we did! When we got back to the hotel, she had gotten me a room on the tenth floor with a beautiful ocean view.

The overall hotel is beautiful. There's an indoor parking garage with several levels. Inside the hotel, there is a very large casino, a food bar in the lobby, a restaurant, a bar inside, another bar right outside by the beach, then a wet bar in the pool! Lots of bars! I spent most of my time at the bar overlooking the ocean because I kind of befriended two of the bartenders there. Both of them we're extremely nice and just fun to talk to. When you walk outside to the ocean, you walk into a little covering with the first bar I mentioned, a dining area, and then further out are some couches right outside the covering. You walk a little further and you’re on the beach leading out to the ocean. You'll find a row of palm trees covering a line of banana hammocks overlooking the beautiful blue and warm ocean.

Now the hotel IS near the airport, but the sliding doors that go out to the balcony is double layered and they did a terrific job preventing the airplane noise! However, if you happen to have the sliding glass doors open, you better be ready for the ear shattering roar when a plane flies over head. All in all it didn't bother me because it happened so little, maybe one plane an hour and it was not noticeable. Plus at night I never heard a plane at all. I didn’t like the balcony doors open anyway as I enjoy the A/C. The A/C units are actually wired to turn off when you have the balcony doors open. The food at the hotel is a bit on the expensive side, but it is so delicious. There was live music every night, great service, friendly staff, and beyond. I still can’t get over how personable and social everyone who worked there was.

Now, my complaints: The room wasn't as clean as I hoped it would be, breakfast was extremely expensive, there‘s a resort fee of about $23.00 a day, and a parking fee of $15.00 a day. I understand courtyards charge for breakfast, but these prices were insane. As for room cleanliness, it could have been better. It wasn’t something unbearable and worthy of notifying the front desk, but it still could have been better; especially the bathroom the first night I arrived. There was dried mud and sand on the floor. I left it alone hoping that housekeeping would clean it up the next day, but no. So my girlfriend left a nice little note in Spanish asking to clean up the bathroom floor and we left a $10 tip. Came back later that day and the whole room was spotless. Now I’m not saying my issues are the same for every room. It may have just been that I had a lazy housekeeper that day. Now for the $15.00 parking fee: I didn’t rent a car, but I wanted my girlfriend to have full access to come and go as she pleased since she couldn’t get the full 6 days off I was there, so for her to have this option (even though she was only REALLY using the parking garage for just a couple hours, three days of my stay, and then twice overnight for the other two days) I racked up a bill of $75.00. I was on vacation, so I didn’t complain. I knew I would be spending money, but it was still frustrating since she didn’t even fully utilize their parking garage but they didn’t have much flexibility in parking options. I didn’t mind the $23.00 resort fee because I fully utilized most of the options at the resort, but that too seemed a little high.

I have worked in the hotel industry for quite some time, and after reading some of the one star reviews, I’d simply like to say that I HIGHLY doubts that any person’s stay can be that bad, or that the hotel is %100 at fault for their issues. Sometimes things just go wrong and you are the only one at fault. Although you are on vacation, it is absolutely impossible for everything to always be perfect. Just because you had numerous bad things happen, doesn’t mean it happens to everyone and that you feel you must bash the hotel and to warn potential guest to “AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!” That’s a little melodramatic if you ask me. So I would really suggest that if you’re planning to stay at this beautiful hotel, to take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. The place is absolutely gorgeous and the staff is amazing.

Overall, my stay was incredible, and I’m sure hundreds of others can agree. The place DID NOT look outdated, as other reviews have said. The rooms WERE beautiful (but could be cleaner in some spots). The staff was NOT rude AT ALL, but very nice. Sometimes when you treat staff like crap and as if they’re your personal servants, you’re not going to get the best results. It doesn't matter how much money you're spending, that doesn't exclude manners and the rule of treating others the way you would like to be treated. I personally wish I could have stayed much longer. I’d take Puerto Rico over cold, gloomy New England any day. Next time I go to Puerto Rico I will definitely choose this hotel again!

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting a room on the east side because the rooms on the west side has a view o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ireviewmylife
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding, and it overall was a pleasant experience. I was a little nervous based on some of the previous reviews, but we had a great time! The hotel is definitely a Marriott and not a luxury hotel, but it is a very nice option for the price.

Pros:
- Outdoor areas are great! The hotel is right on the beach with plenty of palm trees! The staff will assist you with pulling out beach chairs and setting up umbrellas. On the back of the chairs, there are drink flags and the waiters are very attentive.
- The rooms are very spacious and the bed is very comfortable.
- Location -- the hotel is right on the edge of a touristy area. It is only a short walk to Walgreens, restaurants, and other resorts. It is close to the airport, but we were not bothered by the airplane noise at all. Its a $21, 15 minute cab ride to Old San Juan and the cabs are waiting outside the hotel to take you there! Definitely worth the trip!
- Ice Cream Bar -- the ice cream bar in the lobby is open pretty late, and the brownie sundae is sinfully delicious!

Cons:
- The rooms could use some upgrades. The carpet was dingy. The shower faucet came off on the first night, and the sliding closet door came off its rail every day!
- Room View -- We had a partial ocean view on the third floor, and we could see very little of the ocean. Mainly, we saw the rundown building next door. If you are big on views, I would recommend upgrading to a full ocean view room.
- Breakfast -- the breakfast buffet was horrible and not worth the steep resort price. There are not a lot of options on the buffet during the week, and the eggs were runny and cold. I'd recommend heading down the street the the Las Canaries Bakery. The breakfast sandwiches are delicious, giant, and reasonably priced. The pastries are also great! Next to Las Canaries, there is also a Denny's. I would recommend the Denny's over the hotel breakfast buffet.
- Drink Prices - Drinks were pretty expensive -- like you'd find at all resorts. It was hard to justify the prices, though, because I didn't feel like I was at a fancy resort. Definitely head to the Walgreens to pick up water, beer, etc. There is a fridge in the room.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay. It is a great option for the price! However, if you are looking for a luxury hotel, this is probably not the best option for you. This is a Marriott - not a luxury resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MeganNewton
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!