Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“Cool Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I traveled to Puerto Rico for the first time, my brother & I, for a weekend getaway as a birthday celebration. My travel dates were from December 7th - December 10th. I originally had a reservation to stay at Embassy Suites and a week prior to my travel I went online searching for a deal at the same hotel, but at a discounted rate. The rate that I had at the time of searching for a discounted deal was $169.99. My intentions weren't to abort my stay at Embassy Suites, but I came across Hotwire.com in which there were Hotwire Hot Deals with great prices. The issue with the Hotwire Hot Deals is that you are unaware of what hotel you are booking for until after purchase. The most information that is given to you, is the star rating, the nightly rate, and the class in which the hotel falls into. I came across a deal for a 3.5 star hotel at $85 a night. I was pretty excited about the deal let alone the class of hotels that this "hidden" hotel fell in. I decided to book and got the Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort. Now onto the actual travel...

The hotel is not at all far from the airport. It was no more than a 5-10 minute ride and was $15. Upon entering the hotel, there was music playing loudly from a live band in Picante Bar & Grill which is in the lobby. I was immediately assisted by Julio. He was very attentive and fast with his service. Since the room was paid for via Hotwire, I would only be responsible for the resort fees and incidentals. I spoke to a representative prior to my travel and was informed that if I was sure I would not be making any charges to my room, I could ask for a charge hold. I did so with Julio and was at that point only responsible for paying the resort fee $34.61.

We were now on our way to Rm 639. Upon entering the room, it was the typical hotel setup, except there was a sliding door which led to a balcony. Because it was so late, we were unable to see completely out to the beach, but you could see that there was a building directly across from our hotel. I didn't initially pay any mind to it, but kept in the back of my thoughts that the building could be the one I had read on so many reviews. After getting dressed for the night, we went back downstairs and was given a great recommendation by Cristina...who is AWESOME, to eat at Made in Puerto Rico. Upon returning from having great dinner and drinks, the music was still going strong and the dancers were still at it. We stopped at the bar in Picante and got a couple drinks there and ended our night in our room. The night was ended on a very comfy bed.

The next morning, we we got up I went to the balcony to look out at the beach. The view was partial beach and the building that was across from the hotel. This building appeared to be living quarters for people that lived in Puerto Rico and it wasn't the best looking building. We went downstairs and had breakfast at Salsa and did a tour (Bacardi Distillery/Old San Juan) that was booked through the hotel. The next morning we did a half day tour (El Yunque), also booked through the hotel. Later that night we took a cab to Old San Juan and had drinks & hot wings at Brickhaus. The cab from the hotel to Old San Juan was $17 going, but coming back it was after 12 midnight, so it was then $21.

Overall, the hotel is ok. There are restaurants within walking distance, but if you are planning to travel during the night, be mindful that there are areas along that way that do not have the best lighting. Of course in any environment that you are unfamiliar with, you should travel with caution. I would recommend this hotel if you are able to get a great deal. It was great and it wasn't bad. It was right in the middle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Polish first
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

This was our first stay at this hotel. Service was great from the beginning. We have been assigned a room with one king bed, but needed 2 Queens or full. The reception manager made it happen despite the hotel being full, which made my night's sleep a lot more relaxing. We had dinner at the Serina restaurant directly at the beach. The hostess Coral del Mar and our waitress Lyzmar Christina were wonderful in making it a great meal for us. They worked with us on special wishes because of allergies. The food was excellent, the fish very fresh. Also the staff at the pool was very helpful and friendly. And also the valets were super friendly. Overall a great customer service experience. However the bathroom was a bit dated.

• Stayed December 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

When we travel to San Juan again, we will not be staying at this hotel. It wasn't that it was awful, however, it is far away from everything and they do not provide a shuttle service. Cab rides were rather expensive. We will be staying somewhere closer to San Juan, still within the Marriott name.

Service was pretty good, and their prices for food were not outrageous. Our room was clean, and had a decent view of the ocean. However, it was hard to sit outside and enjoy the view because of the awful noise from the AC units. There was some noise from the airport but it wasn't terrible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank smfrentz
Huntington Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

The restaurant at the beach is superior in many ways. It starts with the menu, the service by Alejandra and the food is quite delicious. We have eaten there every night and our trip through the menu has been extraordinary. With the prevailing winds shielded by the hotel, each evening was superb as far as temperature and the ambience. We highly recommend the restaurant to visitors. The only negative was the jazz band was a little too loud. That is more than offset by the total experience of the restaurant's service and the food. Executive chef Rickey is quite charming and really knows how to create a sumptuous meal experience.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the elevator. Some people are noisy after enjoying themselves downstairs and for...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, mo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I spent 4 great weeks at the Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde. The hotel staff was very accommodating. Cristina, Coral, and Lyzmar (from Sirena Restaurante) always turned a tough day at work into a wonderful evening. They are 3 of the sweetest and most beautiful women on the island. Their gorgeous smiles and friendly attitudes made me return to the restaurant night after night. Thank you for a great stay and I wish you guys the best of luck in the future. I will miss you guys.
Rebecca did a great job as Sales Manager. She always made us feel like we were the most important guests in the hotel.
Overall, the hotel, staff, accommodations, and food was excellent. I recommend this hotel. I hope to stay here again soon.
The hotel is right on the beach and eating breakfast and dinner while watching the waves roll in was very relaxing.

Room Tip: Eat at Sirena (outside restaurant). They have great food and excellent service.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

In the past, my husband and I have stayed at a number of hotels in Puerto Rico such as the Ritz, the Intercontinental, the Westin, and the Gran Melia, but we now we keep returning to Courtyard by Marriott in Isla Verde each year. This is an excellent choice for couples or families looking for a great location, very comfortable, clean rooms with balconies overlooking the ocean, beautiful outdoor dining options, and extremely gracious staff. And all this at a relatively reasonable price! If you want to arrange a private party or if your business is looking to hold a corporate event, we noticed that outdoor events are done up in style!

The Courtyard is on a wide stretch of beach with plenty of room for private space. A special treat for us is to take long, romantic walks along the edge of the surf. We never tire of the view whether during the day or by the twinkling stars. Afterward, lounge at the luxurious and attractive new seating near the open air bar or around the spacious pool.

We truly feel like valued, honored guests. Ask for Edouardo Rivera, manager of the front desk when you make reservations or check in. He is outstanding and helped to make our last visit our most memorable yet. The front desk personnel greet you by name as soon as they get to know you. Katherine and Christine always have a ready smile.

The new pool area manager, Enriquez Fossas, is very personable and is anxious for all the guests to feel comfortable and happy.

Our gratitude goes out to the wonderful, caring head chef, Ricky Rivera, for his eagerness to accommodate special diet needs and for his generous, kind attitude. Thanks also go to David Negron, sous chef, and Jose Sterling, food and beverage supervisor.

Breakfasts are beautiful and moderately priced at the Courtyard. Relax at a table outside near the swaying palms with a magnificent view sand and surf. Miguel, a long time server, is particularly solicitous.

Dinner outside at Sirena is a recipe for romance aided by delicious fresh fish accompanied by a bit of the bubbly as the balmy evening breezes lull you. Sonia Gonzales, food and beverage manager, will ensure that you will thoroughly enjoy your experience. She welcomes the opportunity to personalize your stay and make it special. Lysmar and Jose (at Salsa) perform their duties as servers with a sweet personal touch. On Thursday evening, catch the beginner’s salsa dance lesson with talented JoAlice, and then head to Sirena.

For Saturday and Sunday dinner, sample the indoor Puerto Rican style buffet with abundant food at a very reasonable fixed price.

For a change of pace, restaurants at other major hotels in Isla Verde are within easy walking distance. Then come back to live, pulsing Caribbean rhythms at Picante lobby bar and maybe a nightcap at the quiet outdoor bar.

The management here has become very forward thinking, and they have big plans for the future. Renovations on the lovely outdoor dining patio/deck have been recently completed. Upgrading of the lobby and pool areas as well as the guest rooms will begin at the end of April or May and will be completed by Dec. ’13.

Note: Frequent airplane noise is the one drawback to this end of the island since the runway is only minutes away. It’s worth it to us to spend the extra money for a full oceanfront view room/balcony on a high floor where the ocean winds seem to subdue the noise/vibrations of jets.

Room Tip: Best: Full oceanfront guest room, high floor, not room ending in #26 (smaller, less romantic)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VacationTimeForTwo
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
We appreciate your kind review regarding the exemplary service you received while staying at the Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort and the time you set aside to share your experience.

Exceptional associates who exceed guest expectations are a source of pride to us. Individuals such as the managers and associates you mentioned in your review, truly define the tradition of exceptional service we strive to maintain.

I will personally make sure that your positive feedback is shared with all our staff. We appreciate your continued patronage and thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

José C. Padín
jpadin@sjcourtyard.com
787-388-3043
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I go to San Juan for business 4 to 5 times a year and have become accustom to staying at this hotel. It’s a clean, well maintained, and ideally situated for me. It’s located right next to the airport (yes, you can hear the planes depending on where your room is located) so there is no hassle with traffic when I leave or arrive. The hotel offers a little bit of everything; a good restaurant, a nice beach, a good outside bar and a little casino. But the best part for me is the staff. The folks here always greet you with a smile and are always willing to help. Today Nancy was especially helpful when I need to borrow some supplies for presentation I was putting together. If you are looking for a luxurious place to stay this hotel will not fit the bill. But if you want a nice clean room with access to everything you need, the Courtyard Isla Verde will do nicely.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor available.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#18 of 46 in San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,675 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!