“Friendly staff, great value”

Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I'll start off by saying this: big chain beach hotels are not my thing. I'm not usually impressed by amenities or into touristy resort locations. I'd much rather get off the beaten track or spend my time in a smaller type of accommodation, if available. That being said, for what it is, the Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort exceeded expectations. We were looking for a quick-and-easy beach vacation prior to the holidays. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful from the get go. We arrived on a very early flight (5 AM arrival) on Saturday morning and assumed we'd have to check our bags and go to the beach/find a breakfast spot and kill time before checking-in. To our pleasant surprise, we were accommodated with a (very) early check-in and were able to catch some rest before the beach. The rooms are very nice and clean, albeit no frills. In-room wireless internet is provided at no extra charge. The balconies look out on a beautiful beach with aquamarine-colored water and palm groves. The beach is beautiful and the attendants are courteous and helpful. It gets busy but is not overly-packed as the stretch of beach seems to be a little less popular than down by the Ritz-Carlton (which is a good thing). The hotel provides chairs, beach towels and umbrellas. Any type of drink you want can be purchased at the beach/pool bar. The one negative is that you can hear airplanes on the runway (which is just across from the front of the building). It isn't awful and usually is drowned-out by the sound of waves but certainly something to be aware of if you're looking for a more natural and pristine beach environment (chances are if you're looking at Isla Verde-Condado-San Juan, that isn't what you're looking for). The food at the both hotel restaurants is very good and there is a casino (if you're into that kind of thing). It's a bit of a distance to the other hotels and casinos in Isla Verde so plan on a 15-minute walk or a short cab ride/drive if you want to eat off-campus.

In sum, the property exceeded my expectations and the friendliness of the staff overcame any negatives I had with the property. We had a nice, relaxing time and didn't break the bank- which is easy to do at some of the other name brand hotels in the area. I would recommend the Isla Verde Courtyard to anyone interested in staying at a beach hotel in the San Juan metro area.

Room Tip: Ocean-side of the building is best (obviously). Try and get there if you can.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank btshields
Write a ReviewReviews (2,845)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

From the time we pulled up and Juan took our luggage, to Michelle at the front desk and John and Christina at the Beach bar everything was perfect. We met Sterling and Angel, both food and beverage managers and they made sure we had anything we needed. The consierge arranged for our rainforest tour and it was amazing! The beachside massages for my wife and I the night before our departure completed a wonderful first visit to Puerto Rico. I compare every service event to how Disney takes care of its guests. The staff at this hotel deliver that type of experience!!! We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee R
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Paradise?
I don't think so, 3 flights 36 hours to get there, it rained "alot" The beach was rough, The ocean shark infested. The food poor. The beer expensive The surrounding streets dangerous. All in all over rated and over priced.
We saw gang members with Guns 500 meters from our hotel,
The hotel was nothing like it looked in tje brochure.
When we had The window open The noise from The airport horendous, when closed muggy. Unfortunatley The last flight leaves ca 2am. The first takes off 06.00 so not much sleep.
10 dollars for à light beer. No entertainment apart from gambling.
The only good thing about The trip was that i married My beautiful wife

• Stayed: January 2012
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Hello Rockingrodders, beauty is in the eye of many satisfied guests. I truly respect your observations and perceptions about our hotel, beach and Puerto Rico but I respectfully disagree with you. Although once in a while the ocean can get rough due to weather conditions, I assure you that there are no shark infested beaches in our beautiful Island and this is the first time we are informed about gang members with guns walking around Isla Verde.

When you get a chance please contact me at 787-388-3043 or send me an e-mail at jpadin@sjcourtyard.com, I would like to know more about your stay and perhaps get a better understanding. Thank you for celebrating your wedding at our resort and for giving us the opportunity to serve you, Congratulations!

Saludos,

José C. Padín
jpadin@sjcourtyard.com
787-388-3043
@Your Service

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have stayed at the La Concha Renaissance and was okay with the property but it was very busy and I was disappointed in the service. I moved closer to the airport over to the Courtyard and was very pleased. They do not have alot of the charges for the use of everything--though their restaurants are limited--at night there is a great little bar oceanfront that makes the evening perfect. The added value is that it is a quick walk over to the Ritz and you can enjoy all of the restaurants and casino there. It is a great value with all of the amenities at the Courtyard.

Room Tip: High floor Oceanfront is a great view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Travlin_7
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel while on business and personal visits to the island. It is as close as you can get to the airport without staying at the airport. This to me is a major reason why I gravitate there every time. You get your bags, and in 7 minutes you are at the front desk. Once there, depending on the day/night you fly, you are greeted by the sounds of live Latin music. I am already relaxed by that point. The restaurant has a good variety of food.The casino is there to throw away some hard earned cash if you like, or just stroll the beach and start your decompression. If you need aditional excitement, you are a cab ride away from the Condado Strip. Don't need to rent a car. Once done with your trip, you are 7 minutes away from your plane so you can sleep longer. Trust me, if you plan to stay in the north coast, this is where you need to go!

AJB

Room Tip: Book early/in advance of your travel to get the great ocean view rooms that are available
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Alvin B
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I had the pleasure of staying there for 2 (short) nights and OMG we loved it so much that we are planning to go back in the very near future and spend an entire week. First of all, the hotel was amazingly clean, the staff were ALL so courteous and friendly and the room was great! The entire place from interior, exterior, pool, beach access.....it was all just so beautifully well kept and i felt amazing and enjoyed it so much. Hung out by the pool, the beach, worked out a bit at the gym, had the buffet breakfast at Salsa which was delicious and a variety of choices and danced and enjoyed the night life at Club Salsa in the evening with live entertainment. I couldn't ask for nothing other than the fact i wished we had stayed longer. Hope to visit very soon! GREAT PLACE AND I RECOMMEND IT 100% :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz V
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I wanted to scope this Marriott out for a future trip with our 3 kids. We had stayed at the Marriott in Condado before, and while it was great for us, the beach wasn't very kid-friendly. Boy, did we strike gold here in terms of kid-friendliness. 2kiddie pools, one with kiddie slide. Variety of rafts and floats for minimal daily rental fee (even had infant floats). Expansive beach area with hammocks, lawns, and plenty of sand to play in. Great couch/sitting areas from which you could watch all the fun with a tropical drink in-hand. Plenty of kiddie food items also. Inside there is a great little snack bar/ice cream shop which offers hot dogs, pizza, etc. outside, the poolside grill serves fries, nuggets, etc. We met several families with children, and they were all having lots of fun and recommended it for our family too. Also, our room (1024) was very spacious, which is important hen traveling with the kids. Only thing, it didn't have a tub. If we had the kids, we'd have had to switch rooms. The bathroom could have used a makeover, but it functioned well and seemed clean, so cosmetics was the only issue. We did dine at Salsa inside the hotel and found it to be just average. The rice croquettes were very good, and the chorizo kabob was good also. All-in-all, a great stay. We will return with our whole family.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde
TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde
#3 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!