“Nice value, but not great”
Review of Villa Verde Inn

Villa Verde Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Isla Verde B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Nice value, but not great”
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I found this hotel looking thru the list of small Inns in Puerto Rico, because everything else seemed too expensive. I will keep this simple.
Advantages:
- good price, under $80 per night
- friendly staff who knew places to visit/good restarants/ways to get to places
- free breakfast included (eve thou it is ONLY pastries, orange juice and coffee)
- the beach is across the highway - 5 minute walk
- several restaurant close by (El Taquito, BarraChina, Mi Casita) - 5-10 minute walk
- casinos are also close : 5-10 minute walk
- Walgreens/Super Market/ 7 Eleven - 5-10 minute walk
- Bus Station - 5 minute walk
- has small balcony, small pool, microwave and fridge in each room

Disadvantages:
- right by the highway- very noisy :(
- not that clean - found some hairs on the white bedsheets on the first night (obviously not ours)
- shower pressure was low- was hard to take a shower- not relaxing
- too far from Old San Juan - bus costs 75 cents each way, but it takes about 45 minutes to get there with all the stops; by taxi it costs $18-$19 each way, so it's too expensive to take the round-trip each day; for $40 extra a day, you can probably find something in Old San Juan
- besides a few casinos and the beach, not too many attractions to see in the area

Overall, it is ok if you are VERY budget oriented, otherwise I would stay in OLD SAN JUAN, that is the big attraction to Puerto Rico.

• Liked — Staff knowledge, close beach
  • Disliked — Too far from Old San Juan, too noisy! highway and also AC were very noisy
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vbrocket3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I found this place after searching through many others hotels which had mad expensive rates. I think the taxi was more expensive after hoppin from hotel to hotel. Their rates did not pass $80.00 dollars with the tax included. In top of that the rooms where very clean and confortable. The staff is great and very kind and helpfull. I know i will always talk good about this hotel and defeneatly recommend it for budget minded travelers. Another great thing about the place is its location, very centric, closest hotel to the airport and very, very close to Old San Juan and at little steps from the beach. If you are looking for a place this is the place.

Stayed June 2007
6 Thank FL_407
Munich, Germany
Reviewed May 19, 2007

Villa Verde Inn - we booked it before arrival and we were surprised!
The hotel is small and nice! Our room was small but with fridge, private bath, balcony. It was clean and a nice location. The pool is also small but nice. Peter from the Front desk is really helpful, ask him for recommondations for dinner or sightseeing tips, he knows a lot!! Unfortunately there is no breakfast available, but a good location, next to the city highway, easy to arrive, beach of San Juan is only around 200 meters away!
Stefan & Jeanett from Munich

• Liked — Peter from the front desk
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trulla79
new york
Reviewed February 1, 2007

Bathroom did not close, no good air coming though. highway has accidents that u can actually hear. (we think one moto bik might of died) Ants infested. Mold on the celiing made every morning a hassle to get up as you could not breathe. (this after 5 days we found out, no fan means no mold to breath) NO tv remote that worked, small tv. just a dirt dirty place

Sidenote. the place is lousy but the staff is super nice, very helpfull people.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank starlitecpu
NY
Reviewed December 4, 2006

I can't even begin to tell you the horror that this place is. It's bug infested, dirty, extremely old and unkempt, it's not near the beach at all but adjacent to the highway (the noise is unbearable). The inn does not look at all like it's portrayed on their website...maybe those pictures are 20 years old at best. The dust and dirt are ancient in the rooms, the bathrooms are very filthy (hair everywhere, toilets are soiled, tiles broken and never replaced, etc).

If you have children, please don't go there...it's beyond filthy...

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank traveleratlarge
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 7, 2006

This was my first trip to Puerto Rico and I took my mother with me for her birthday who has never been out of the USA before. We wanted to spend money on eating out, souvenirs, bus fare, shopping, etc so we looked for a very affordable place with good reviews. When I booked the reservation over the phone the staff spoke both English and Spanish and were very friendly and accomodating. Upon arrival, we were given a key and told to check out our room to see if we were satisfied with it. Inside it was a cozy little place with linoleum and tile floors (normal in caribbean climates), window A/C unit, personal fridge, balcony, table and 2 chairs, closet, pantry, television with remote control, and full size bed. It was very clean, towels and soap were stocked, and roomy enough to move around in. I went back down to let the staff know I was satisfied with the room and they asked if I need anything to let them know (for example extra towels or soap). I expected to have no problem with communication there because I know Spanish but I worried about my mother who only knows English. Many times she went downstairs and had absolutely no problem because the whole staff was bilingual. Throughout our visit, the staff offered directions to restaurants, information on nearby markets, information on bus schedules, etc. I don't think I have ever encountered such a friendly staff at any hotel I have stayed in before! I was totally satisfied with my choice of hotel and would definitely stay there again!
As far as location, it was great! Although it is right next to a highway, I can't remember the noise bothering us at all. The beach and main street were only a walk away. The walkway started in front of the hotel and went over the highway onto the main street. Then there was a small walkway between hotels on the beach to access the beach from the main street. It literally took us less than 5 minutes to access the beach! Stores (including Walgreens) and restaurants (both American and Puerto Rican) were close by and bus fare only cost 75 cents and could get you all the way to Old San Juan.

• Liked — Low price and only minutes from the main street and beach.
  • Disliked — Right next to the highway.
  • Stayed July 2006
4 Thank ABMCali
Ft. Myers
Reviewed August 28, 2006

We stayed as a group and had 5 rooms there. The first thing they did was ask us to look at the room to make sure tey were acceptable. The staff was friendly and said to call and they would arrange everything. Even on the town we called the hotel and they arranged for taxi's to pick us up wherever we were. While the rooms are old they were very clean. A very nice experience and would stay there again.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — lack of close grocery stored
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends