“Food and Service”

San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a top notch hotel. The food is gourmet in quality. The service is excellent I would highly recommend it. Staff are friendly and eager to please. Rooftop bar (Mist) is very comfortable with a spectacular view. It's informal. They have a tapas menu at night. The restaurant on the ground level (Zest) is more formal. The theme throughout the hotel is water. It's very relaxing. The staff will serve you a drink on the beach. They give you free sticks of fresh fruit and coconut ice cream in the afternoon if you happen to be on the beach. It's close to the airport. Take a taxi to get around. Don't rent a car as parking can be hard to find.

Room Tip: The ocean view is spectacular.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you so much for your recent visit and this wonderful review; especially mentioning our committed staff as they are the ones who make the magic happen. You pretty much covered the entire WBC experience, see you soon!
My best,

There are newer reviews for San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We just stayed at this hotel for the first two days of our honeymoon and I am not impressed. The first room they put us in had a bed covered in short curly hair and the phone did not work so they moved us to another one with an ocean view trying to give us an upgrade. This was nice however the bottom of the window was so dirty you could not enjoy the view from bed. I have read other reviews and management has told people that if they would have written their concerns on the dream board then they will fix it. Well I did that and nothing happened, it wasn't cleaned or responded to on the board. The overall feel of the hotel is modern new age I guess to me it was just trying to hard to be hip. The lighting throughout the hotel is blue to go with their water feel so it is very dark. I think it's to hide the the deterioration of the hotel. If they would just call this place what it is ( hotel and not a resort) I probably would not be as disappointed with my stay as I was. The holiday inn express was a much better stay than this save your money and aggravation. Other side notes phone in new room did not work was told to use hall phone (also did not work) finally told to use cell phone if we needed anything, had to wait on valet 20 min one night he was no where to be found. Once again not a resort.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ashleyb4u

Our guests are always our priority. My sincere apologies that your experience with us was less than perfect; we respect all feedback and find it helpful for the hotel to learn and grow in all aspects that is what this forum is for. I would like to take this opportunity to address some issues you mentioned: In reference to our star rating, we are a “Four Stars Boutique Hotel” and not a “Resort”. There are times where situations occur that are not in our control and unfortunately our telephone system had technical difficulties during your stay which it was solved as soon as possible. Also, being right in front of the beach, we do pressure wash our windows periodically, however this can only be done professionally due to the safety of our room attendants. WBC management prides itself on follow through and recovery of any given guest’s experience; without a doubt. I personally, as well as my colleagues would be happy to have the chance to deliver to you what a WBC experience has become known for. I’m happy to make myself personally available to you should your travels return you to Puerto Rico.
I remain at your service,

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at this hotel while in San Juan. This is a beautiful boutique hotel with a very European flair with soft neon lights in the halls and rooms. The staff is super friendly and helpful - they always had smiles on their faces. There are water features everywhere - even in the elevator - which lends to the relaxing feel of the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and even have a small board with which to ask for special requests. The only negative is that we could've used more outlets to charge our phones, etc. The hotel is conveniently located and very close to the airport. Just walk out the door and across the street and you're on the beach. The rooftop terrace is a wonderful place to relax during the day and and enjoy some music at night. I can not wait to go back to San Juan and stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank klyns

A smile says a million words…no more needs to be said. Thank you and see you soon/1
Warmest regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

The staff made our first trip to San Juan hassle free. Upon arrival the front desk attendants were super helpful with bags and even had our room available before actual check-in time. The rooftop is beautiful. Our room was great - perfect size for two girls. Everything looked as is via the website and I have no complaints. Definitely staying here any time I visit San Juan.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ariana A
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Short and sweet! Thanks for the review. We are so glad you were able to experience it firsthand; so happy that LOVED US!
Truly,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

My Fiance and I stayed here in December and were impressed. Service was excellent and the beach was perfect. They even had a guy walking around in the afternoon on the beach passing out fruit. Great location in isla verde. A little far from Old San Juan.

Our room was decent sized with a nice ocean view. And the restaurant at the hotel is certainly worth eating at.

We will be back next time we are in San Juan.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
virna c, Guest Service Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

It was a pleasure to have you here and I hope you can make it back to the WBC very soon for another stay. I love it that you enjoyed our property, friendly staff and service.
My best,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have never posted anything on Tripadvisor in the past, but we absolutely could not pass up the opportunity to share our amazing experience at the San Juan Beach and Water Club hotel this on April 11, 2014 - April 14, 2014. I took my husband to San Juan, PR as a surprise trip for his birthday. We loved the fact that the hotel was positioned on the cul de sac of the street, giving it a "private" vibe, which we loved. The valet guy, Indie, promptly greeted us and parked our car. As we walked into the hotel, we were blown away by the beautiful décor. It felt like we were walking into a beautiful art museum. It had a very sexy, Miami type feel. Genesis checked us in and made sure that we had a great room for my hubby's birthday. Our room was an absolutely fabulous ocean-view, literally right across from the beach. The room was very clean, spacious, and the décor was lovely. We realized that we left our camera at home and had someone overnight the camera to the hotel. I called Genesis and she assured me that I would be notified when the camera arrived. Sure enough, before we headed out the next day, Genesis showed up at our room with the package in hand.:) On our second day, we walked across to the beach (only a few steps away) and Jonathan quickly greeted us and setup our complimentary chairs and umbrella. He was a cool guy! Natalie was the beach server and she had a pleasant attitude and got us food and drinks promptly. That evening, we headed up to the Mist lounge which is located on the BEAUTIFUL rooftop to attend the Sunset mixer that happens every Saturday. Words cannot explain how breathtaking the view of the ocean and city is from the rooftop. The breeze was perfect! We noticed that all of the lounge couches had "reserved" signs on them and talked to Valerie, Director of Food & Beverages, when we told her that we were celebrating my Husband's birthday, she quickly hooked us up with one of the lounge couches. We were ecstatic!! Valerie was our waitress and she was a pleasure. It just so happen that one of the owners, Richie, was having a birthday party there on the rooftop so we had the pleasure of meeting and talking with many of the staff members. Jada (Director of Rooms & Services), Betsy (Director of Sales & Marketing), and Virna (Guest Services Manager) were a BLAST! We enjoyed talking to them and shared a lot of laughs. Betsy even gave us complimentary glasses of champagne. The night was perfect! As we were in and out the hotel, Xavier valet our car and didn't keep us waiting forever. On our final day, before departing, Virna chatted with us and kept us company before it was time for us to go. She really made us feel like we have a place to call home the next time we visit San Juan. BIG THANKS to all of the staff for making our stay so enjoyable. We cannot wait to return for a longer stay!

Room Tip: I requested a room that wasn't too close to the top floor (10th) since there are parties on the...
8  Thank CyrenaATL
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Cyrena, What a lovely review, THANK YOU!
We are humbled by your kind words. I must say I am very proud to work with this wonderful group of people; we are so happy that you and Kinene were able to experience the best birthday weekend ever. I have passed along this review to every staff member you mentioned; thank you for pointing out so many people. We love when our amazing staff makes such an impact. Thanks again for sharing your experience so eloquently and so lovely. Now that you have discovered us…this will be your home away from home Puerto Rico; search no more!
*Always remember that the WBC is where the sun warms your body and the people warm your heart*
Truly,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I'm so in love with Puerto Rico! My husband and I had such a great trip.

Room: We had a partial ocean view room with King bed. It was small, but perfect for us as just a couple. The rooms are beautifully decorated. There is a blue tint to the room, but I felt like it added to the ambiance. It can be turned off if you don't like it. Room service was wonderful, kept our room very clean. They even came by in the evening offering chocolate. There is a 'wish board" in the room. Very nice touch. I needed more of a certain type of towel, wrote it on there, and they made sure I had enough every day.

Note on hotel: In my opinion not very kid friendly, just not much for them to do. It's very grown and sexy, which was perfect for us. Also it does get loud on the roof top bar on Saturday. I was woken up for about 2 hours Saturday night. But to be honest if I wasn't so tired from my flight I would have been up there with them so it didn't bother me much.

Service: Excellent!! Everyone is so nice and friendly. The concierge by the front desk is great. Directions, recommendations, car rental, really anything you need and they can help you with.
The young woman who was working on 4-12-14 (can't remember her name) was great and so helpful.

Food: Tapas and drinks on the roof top bar at Mist. Then dinner at Zest. Pricey but worth it, treat yourself and at least eat a Zest. The popcorn soup is so weird but so delicious. Breakfast at Zest is also very tasty. They have a continental breakfast buffet but we chose to order off the menu as we wanted only hot entrees.

Beach: Breath taking. Very clean. There is a young man who will help you get your chair/umbrella set up. There is also a mid day drink/lunch service offered on the beach.

Things to do in the area: at the end of the street there is a little beach bar that serves delicious food- El Ambique. Koco at the El San Juan Hotel is delicious-pricey but worth it. El Taquito is on Isla Verde Ave, nice place for lunch. Ceviche House is a 20 minute walk- delicious food, just remember when it comes to service you are on Island time at all of these places. Rent a car (Charlie's Car Rental) and go to Guavate- Ruta de Lechon and the El Yunque Rainforest. Driving in PR is about the same as driving in a big city in the states, they are just a little bit more aggressive. Taxi to San Juan is $21 each way, 0.75 on the bus. Ditch the tours, PR is easy and more fun to explore on your own.

Overall we had a fantastic trip and can't wait to come back to WBC hotel!

1  Thank Bethany B

You said it all! Great review…We only have two words for you “HURRY BACK”!
Many thanks,

#19 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!