“Good Option Close to the Airport, Easy Walk to Bars and Rest.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel

San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Buffalo, NY
“Good Option Close to the Airport, Easy Walk to Bars and Rest.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked this hotel for a group of 3 couples in May 2013 through JetBlue vacations at a very reasonable rate.

We arrived at the San Juan airport early (9am) and took a very short cab ride to the hotel. To our surprise they allowed us to check in and proceed to our rooms at 10am, which was huge. The hotel itself has a very modern design with a small restaurant on the first floor with a bar and a large roof top bar with food until late at night.

Area:
Directly across the street from the hotel is a large public beach which while we were there was clean and had plenty of space. Also on this small street that the hotel is on there are a few small beach side eateries and bars that are very easy walking distance, of which the best IMO is El Alambique. Within 1 block of the hotel is convenience stores, pizza hut, rite aid and many other small rental companies, restaurants and bars. You wouldn't know they were there while on the beach but 1 block off you have a lot of convenience. I would rate the area as very good for the younger beach crowd that wants to grab a cooler pack it up and head to the beach. There hare jet ski rentals just down the beach along with several other hotels with their own restaurants and bars. All of these things combined with how close this hotel is to the airport makes for a great location.

Rooms:
We all had standard king rooms, a bit on the small side but workable. Everyone here complains about the blue light, which is mostly funny because IT CAN BE TURNED OFF! The bed was reasonably comfortable and the shower was big and workable. Wifi was free and room service was available. I would have liked to have seen stocked mini bars in the room.

Hotel Bar/Food:
The hotel has a "fine dining" restaurant on the first floor which doubles to serve a continental breakfast. It is rated very well on tripadvisor, but we didn't end up going here and opted for other options. The food and drinks at the rooftop bar however were really good and included skewers, flat breads and salads. The rooftop area turns into a club later at night but still serves food late.

Wrap-Up:
We would return here. The few minor detractors were outweighed by the price/value and location. Probably best for those under the age of 40.

Tips:
Check out Jose Enrique in downtown San Juan, best food we had all vacation.

You can bring your own coolers and beverages to the beach. 1 block from the hotel is a convenience store that sells food, wine, beer and liquor (as well as styrofoam coolers)

El Alambique right down the street is an excellent beach bar for food and drinks.

Cabs are available right outside the hotel at all times of day.

The rooftop bar is great and has food late

Room Tip: The club upstairs can be loud at night. You may want to consider a room on one of the lower floors t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Patrick D
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you! So glad to hear that you had a great experience; your details in every area of the hotel are greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you back with us. Please contact me on your next travel dates; it would be great to meet you personally.
Warmly,
Virna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I truly cannot say anything bad about this place! From the moment we pulled up and were greeted by the valet to the minute we checked out...everyone was extemely friendly! Our beach waitress, Natalia...was amazing! We loved her. She ensured that our drinks were cold and made properly. The beach concierge guys were awesome and knew which spot we wanted to stay in daliy. I will be staying here again..very soon!!!

Room Tip: Any of them are nice!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Wow! Sounds like a perfect stay! We are very glad to hear that Natalia facilitated to make this a great experience for you. I will definitely pass along you compliments to Natalia. Please know that we appreciate your kind words and will be happy to have you back.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Completely over priced, the rooms were small and only suited with a black light, felt like I fell asleep at a club. Spending near $200 for the cheapest room available I was told I would receive a continental breakfast which was a LIE. When I sat down to eat they told me I need a voucher which the front desk would then not give me. I've had better experiences at Hotel 6.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Zenaoreo
Your title for this review is extremely disturbing to us. I can assure you we do not practice being dishonest to our guests. Obviously, our reputation is based upon our guests’ services and it is evident with many of our positive reviews. We provide precise information to all of our guests prior and during their stay. We do not hide the size of our rooms, which are indeed smaller than other hotels in the area, but if you are looking for a friendly and unique experience, then there is no better place than The WBC.
I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this further. You may e-mail me your contact information at vconcepcion@waterbeachhotel.com and I will be more than happy to call you.
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

You can not go wrong with the Water Club (as the locals call it). The cab ride ($12) to the hotel took 10 minutes. We were warmly greeted and checked in within minutes. My husband and I knew that this was a beautiful property, but as we walked into our 8th floor oceanfront room, the view was indescribable!!! You MUST book an oceanfront room! We opened our windows to feel the sea breeze, hear the waves and the birds. There was no traffic in front of the hotel since we were at the very end of a quiet street. Taxis are parked out front at all times which was convenient to hotel guests. Make sure you take advantage of the 2nd floor terrace. We ate, relaxed and enjoyed the cool breeze on numerous occasions. The rooftop is the signature of this boutique hotel. There is no view like it! Sometimes we felt like the rooftop was our exclusive area because it was never crowded. Make sure you catch the sunset around 6-6:30pm. Also, make sure you catch the sunrise at 5:30-6AM (yes I'm an early bird). Beach chairs, umbrelllas and towels were set up very quickly (at no charge). We went for a swim early one morning before the beach boy arrived, and the bellman kindly walked to beach and laid down towels for us. That's service! We went to Mi Casita many times for great and inexpensive meals. Do NOT skip La Playita restaurant at La Playa Hotel. It's a 5 minute walk along the beachfront past El San Juan Hilton, and if you have the "YELP" app, check-in and you will receive a Coconut rum drink out of a coconut (yummy) free!! Utilize the "Wish board" near the entrance if you have any wishes. The blue light did not bother us at all; it actually gave the hotel a unique twist! You have the option to turn off the blue lights if you desire. Yes, the room/bathroom lighting is not super, but heck, you don't need to primp yourself too much on a beach vacation. Yes, I wish clothing storage was better, but all you really need are shorts, swim suites and sandals. The bed was super comfortable.The air conditioner worked great and could be controlled to your preference. BOTH the elevators worked fine, and the blue light elevator shafts and the backdrop waterfall in the elevator was very neat! I used the computer area to print out my boarding passes, and the bellman helpfully checked in our luggage while we had lunch before our departure from the hotel. I would ABSOLUTELY stay here again! I'm glad I took a chance with a unconventional boutique hotel vs. the common big chain hotels. I got a GREAT oceanfront deal off a third party website, so my stay was 50% off original price! Can't beat that!

Room Tip: No question, get an oceanfront room (or at least ask for an oceanfront upgrade if available). Enjoy...
3 Thank SRobinson2
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your complete and sterling review of the WBC.
You pointed out most of my favorite amenities with such eloquence - nothing further need be said!
We look forward to your return.
West Hempstead, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a 7-day cruise from Puerto Rico and arrived 2 days early and stayed at this gorgeous hotel. Right from the beginning our experience was amazing. Our room was not ready so they took our luggage and told us what was in the area and also gave us an area to change should we decide to go to the beach, which was only across the road from the hotel about 50 feet and what a gorgeous beach it was. When our room was ready we were very happy to find a very "beachy" theme with blues, whites and soft shades and curtains all around the room adding ambiance to the room. It was extremely well equipped with a coffee maker, safe, iron and ironing board, desk, blow dryer - you name it, you got it. The hotel staff was fabulous and extremely helpful. When you go to the beach you get your beach chairs and umbrella (free of charge!) and service on the beach from drinks to lunch, if desired. There was also a complimentary water cooler outside the hotel with lemons in it for you all day long. The restaurant was small but very nice and very clean. There were two bars but the rooftop bar was the best. The view was breathtaking and at night the menus lit up so you could read them and the lights on the table were adorable. The rooftop pool was a bit small but believe it or not when we wanted to to up there for a swim, we were basically the only ones up there!!!!! There are plenty of hotels in the area a stones throw away and Mi Casita restaurant has amazing authentic Puerto Rican cuisine. I had the shrimp mofongo and tostones and it was amazing (I am Puerto Rican so that does say a lot). This was a 5 minute walk and there are other restaurants in the area, both American and Spanish. If you are looking for a boutique, cute, quiet, clean, attentive hotel, then this is the place to stay!!!!!!

Room Tip: Our room was the standard one and it was gorgeous, you could get a beachfront room but I really don...
1 Thank LadyDi3k
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you here and we can’t wait to welcome you back to the WBC very soon for another memorable stay. I love it that you enjoyed our property and service. Please let me know when you are returning so I can make sure you have the V.I.P welcome you deserve.
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently stayed at this resort and from the moment we arrived until the moment we departed we were treated incredibly well. I have travelled far and wide and have been to many resorts, but never before was there a wish board by the door. Not really taking it seriously, we wrote that we wanted dark chocolates on our pillows and animals made out of towels. Sure enough later that day we returned to the room and there were dark chocolates and the most beautiful towel swans I've ever seen.

The grounds are beautifully decorated and the location is stunning. We had the most beautiful beach view. When you go to the beach, they bring you nice beach towels, loungechairs and also dig a big hole and insert a large beach umbrella at no charge. They also have a waitress or waiter to serve you and I had a delicious Pina Colada while sitting on the beach. The beach has a nice sandy bottom with no rocks or other hazards. It is very clean. We watched from our room every morning as a crew of about 10 or so men and women sweep the beach to pick up any debris.

It was not very pricey either for what you get. They are glad to accommodate you if you have any desires.

Definitely worth the stay if in San Juan! I want to go back just to stay in this hotel again! You will not be disappointing if you stay here!

Room Tip: Definitely get a beach front room. the view is spectacular!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It’s all about SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE! That’s who we are. We love to make our guests feel at home with an authentic and genuine care. We are so happy you enjoyed our “Tus Deseos” board, there were created to make wishes come true just for you…
Claxton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here for one night pre cruise. When we arrived, we immediately wished we had came down more than one night prior to the cruise. The hotel is gorgeous and right on the beach. We had an early flight so we checked in at 10am. Our room wasn't ready but we were able to enjoy all of the facilities including the beach and pool while they stored our luggage. We went to the beach and were given beach chairs and an unbrella. The beach area was gorgeous. We had lunch delivered to us on the beach by the Water Club waitress. After a few hours we went up to the rooftop patio and pool. You get great views up here and the wind makes it such a nice place to hang out. We didn't use the pool but it looked ok as well.

Around 3pm, our room still wasn't ready. I went down and explained that we had booked an excursion at 3:30 and would love a place to chance clothes before the excursion. The hotel desk started working on finding us a cleaned room and we were given a room within 10 minutes. Awesome!

Our room was on the 10th floor, clean, neat with the black lights, and a great view of the beach. We were right under the nightclub and we did hear a constant beat of music until late hours of the morning, but we are not bothered by this at all.

We loved it here and will 100% stay again if we are in the San Juan area again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I'm very glad to see that all aspects were enjoyable for you. We work hard to deliver a perfect stay in all areas and you, as a guest, deserve the best that we have to offer. Thank you for the 5 stars; we hope to welcome you back again real soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,541 reviews
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!