“A Unique Experience for the Avant-Guarde Clientele”

San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Centerville, Massachusetts
“A Unique Experience for the Avant-Guarde Clientele”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just spent three wonderful days at this hotel and we cannot tell you what a fun and charming experience we had. Not for the stuffy, predictable facilities that dot the city, this small, funky, and happening place is where you want to be! So wonderfully decorated with unique modern touches that really appeal to one's emotions, it promises rest, relaxation, fun and a clever use of small spaces. Loved our visit and will go back time and again. The staff is so well trained, knowledgeable and helpful, always there to help, say hello and make their guests feel SO WELCOMED!!! A delightful experience, excellent restaurant and a great place to relax.

Room Tip: Rooms have limited space, the suites are great for those who might feel a little cramped
1 Thank Marilyn M
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Excellent service in a beautiful setting- that’s the WBC Experience. A big THANK YOU! Hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We booked this hotel looking at the pictures on the website. We booked a room with two queen beds. When we reached there, they gave us a king bed and said they will move us to the 2 queen room the next day. So we took the room. When we went in the room, it was nothing like the pictures. It is a small white room, with awkwardly placed bed and blue light in it. It was nothing like any hotel room I have seen in my life.
We decided to leave it and moved to another hotel, even if it meant we have to pay twice. We could not let this hotel ruin our vacation.
From now on, I am going to stick with name brand hotels only.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anurag G
Thank you for your review. My most sincere apologies that your experience with us was less than perfect. I assure you we take into consideration our guests’ feedback in order to continue striving for excellence. We certainly hope for our guests to have far better than an average stay. Our guests are always our priority and that’s confirmed by past comments listed on Trip Advisor. In reference to the images displayed on our website, I assure you that they’re an accurate portrayal of how our rooms are designed. Yes, some guests find our hotel rather small for their preference but the majority of them discover that big things can come in small packages. Should you ever decide to give us another opportunity, we would love to welcome you back. Feel free to contact me should you need assistance with anything, I remain at your service.

Truly,
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Overall:
The Water & Beach Club Hotel is right on the beach in Isla Verde. The entire hotel is contemporary and stylish, with modern rooms, an upscale restaurant, and a cool rooftop club. Think South Beach meets San Juan. You probably won't see families with kids here... and that might be a refreshing thing for some travelers.

Location:
The hotel is right on the beach, and hotel staff will provide you with towels, chairs, umbrellas, and food/drink service. While there are plenty of resorts/hotels on Isla Verde, there are not really any stand-alone restaurants (other than fast food). Candado Beach is much better than Isla Verde in this regard. Still, there are several dining/club/casino options within walking distance, if you don't mind going into another hotel or resort. One great convenience... there is a nice Walgreens directly behind the hotel.

A taxi to the airport takes about 10 minutes ($16). Old San Juan (depending on traffic) is about 15-20 minutes ($20). You can take public transportation to Old San Juan for 75 cents, but the bus is not very frequent or predictable.

Rooms:
The rooms are definitely stylish (contemporary furniture, blue lighting). They match the ambiance of the rest of the hotel (running wall of water in the elevator, beach sounds piped into the darkened hallways, staff in chic black dresses). It's fun, though I have to say - most hotel rooms are all the same for a reason - practicality. Some of the stylishness sacrifices practicality (lighting, furniture and appliance placement). Still, if you aren't on business, this is fine for a couple of days.

The room had free wifi, a safe, and a flat screen TV with satellite reception. My room did not have a mini-fridge or a balcony. I am not sure if any of the other rooms did.

One minor complaint... The air conditioning unit, while very effective, was also very loud, even on the lowest setting.

Facilities:
The hotel's upscale restaurant, Zest, was expensive, but excellent. The rooftop club/bar had excellent views, a very tiny pool, and lounge seating. I was there on a Friday night when they had a DJ. On Saturday, the rooftop bar was closed for a private event, which was pretty annoying. This was one of the most interesting things about the hotel, and it was unavailable to guests that night.

Value:
I got this hotel on Hotwire for about $180 (including taxes and resort fee). Given the 4 star competition, I think it was good value at this price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Cincinnatus1
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The place is not only beautiful but the staff is as amazing as they come. Not to mention you cant beat being two steps from the beach! A Definte stay again!!! The rooms are clean and beautiful as well as a super comfy bed. The staff could not be more accomodating and makes you really feel as though you are on vacation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much. We appreciate all feedback but of course a "beautiful" review as yours is a real pleasure to see on Trip Advisor. Thank you for mentioning so many great points on our hotel starting with the staff, location and the great service you experienced. Please know that the SJWB Club Hotel is here and waiting for you return.
My best,
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Let me preface by saying...I'm not a reviewer. TripAdvisor newb. I recently traveled to Old San Juan and had a couple of less than awesome experiences that I felt compelled to share.
This place was NOT one of them. The San Juan WBC was great! I will definitely stay here again. Staff was extremely nice and helpful. Rooms are beds were very clean and comfortable. Isla Verde is very laid back.
If I had one negative...the music was a little loud in the lounge one night (maybe I'm too old!...)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Short and Sweet; what more can we ask for, Thank you and we hope to see you back again.
Warmly,
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 8 days while in San Juan on a holiday. The hotel is very very clean, with a non smoking policy that they enforce. There are two computers available. There is a wonderful view of the ocean and beach if you have an ocean front view. The beach was very clean nice, much nicer than Condado. The location was really good for us. Just outside the hotel is the bus you can catch to Old San Juan and Condado, Charlie's car rental, restaurants, and supermarkets.Taxis are outside waiting. It is a spacious area not congested like Condado. The hotel's down side is the lighting and the minimalist room. Blue fluorescent lighting with small bed lamps meant a darker room. The walls all over are white and there is a neon feel to the hotel and rooms. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Lounge chairs and umbrellas are taken out for you. There a small fruit tray and snack provided on the beach. Just a very nice, simpler hotel. We liked out stay and it was very positive.

Room Tip: Ocean front view is likely better are you don't face traffic.
1 Thank Canada123456789
Thank you for the great review! It looks as if you were able to enjoy a number of offerings here and it's good to see that all aspects exceeded your expectations. Hope to welcome you back real soon.

Warmly,
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Let me start by saying that I've never left a review for anything. Hotel, Restaurant, Movie, nothing. Also, my wife says I'm a hotel snob, I look for the look of 100% safety, comfort, and people service. I read mostly positive reviews here, but we booked late and I wasn't 100% certain that we did our thorough search.

Unnecessary.

This place was a fantastic stay. The guest manager, Verna, TOOK CARE of us in a way that made the stay 1000% better. I can't say enough about the staff. From the moment we entered, to each time I took a little smoke break, to the very end of the trip, if there was staff by the door, they were opening it for my wife and I every single time we walked in. My wife and I had a good idea of directions and where we were going everytime we ventured (far) out, but each time there was a person asking us if we needed help or directions. Everytime they helped with bags into the car, everytime we went to the beach RIGHT IN FRONT, we were greeted with Juan who set up our chairs, our umbrella, and sent us a waitress. Danny at the desk was helpful when we checked in and each time we came into the hotel, a smile and a how are you doing everytime he wasn't helping other people. The versatile (chill, happenin at the right times, view) bar at the top was cool too. Gotta say, Danilo the bartender was the coolest dude we met the whole time we were there. Gave us tips, chilled and talked, and made my non-drinking wife specific drinks that she loved so much, she bought all the ingredients when we got home. We took his suggestions for a couple of things and they never failed.

I can't say enough about the service. My wife and I are paranoid so we opted not for cleaning service. But one day we accidentally dropped our 'Do Not Bother' sign (or whatever they're called) on the inside of our room and rightfully so they came in to kinda clean up the room. We didn't notice that we did until later so we asked why they did that? They profusely apologized and left us a letter under our door and drink tickets for the bar. Was pretty cool because after checking out the room it was pretty obvious that we actually probably could've benefited from the cleaning service without worrying.

I'll say a couple of things. The neon blue lighting in the halls was an odd thing to wake up to but some would also probably call is a cool unique vibe. I also wish there were more plug outlets. Sounds funny but those are my two biggest complaints (which ain't sayin much).

Bottom line, this is an affordable, safe, and friendly hotel that I would definitely stay at again. Make sure to get the ocean view.

Room Tip: Ocean View
2 Thank bthewigwam
virna c, Guest Service Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment and sharing your “5 Stars” review. You basically said it all; it describes the way we strive to have every guest feel as they depart from the WBC as part of our family but it is even more special when our team members make such a great impression by the service they offer to our guests. I will definitely pass on your wonderful comments to them. Thanks again for sharing your experience so eloquently and so lovely. We greatly appreciate it. We can’t wait to welcome you back real soon.
My best,
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!