“Okay place, bad food!!”

San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was sent to this hotel by American Airlines when our flight was redirected to San Juan. I was a bit apprehensive as I never heard of it before. On arrival it is not very impressive. Once inside it reminds you of a kitschy hotel in South Beach Miami. It is not luxurious and is obviously an old building refurbished. I hated the room I got #601. DO NOT TAKE this room. It is right by the elevators and all night all I could hear is the grating of them going up and down. I could not sleep and I had to be up for 4 a.m. to get to the airport. The room was dark, the bedside lamps did not work and the purple florescent light behind a weird curtain by a wall in the room was like a neon light, a assault on the eyes. Had to turn it off. So out of place in a bedroom. The FOOD??? The menus attempt to be too pretentious and it is impossible to find a decent meal on the room service menu which are from they tapas bar. The restaurant downstairs seemed to have better food, but they are "not allowed" to do room service. Seems like they are trying to be a trendy place and they would do well on South Beach Miami. It just felt a bit out of place in San Juan. Note to self: This is no place for kids. It must be almost impossible to get suitable food for a child at this place. The room was an ok size, bed in a weird position and the floor cold. the bathroom was small and not much storage in the closet. But the staff we really nice and friendly, so that was a plus.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 601. It is right by the elevators and you hear the noise from them constantly...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,409)

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I really liked this place. It is so much different from any place we have ever stayed. It's so cool that it's tempting to be intimated by the cool factor. They really like that whole cool factor thing, and they play it up on their website, right? In my experience, people who play up cool can come across as arrogant, so I had my doubts. But when you get there, the people are nothing but NICE. Very helpful, very friendly, and very eager to make your stay perfect. (I think they have a physical standard too - they are all beautiful!) And the place is very well maintained, amazingly clean, especially for a beach property. Service was great...maybe perfect. And again, the people are so helpful. To be honest, everything isn't ideal - Our room was not large, and really they don't make good use of the space, screwing the bed to the floor at an angle to the wall (cool factor). We could have used more storage (a drawer and a half behind a little sheer curtain...cool factor). And our windows were dirty, which isn't cool by any standard, but I get it - difficult to keep up with at any beach. Also not great - the neighborhood. Limited shopping and dining choices, and you get the feeling that it wouldn't be safe if it weren't for a police officer every 20 feet. And no parking - so you either have to find a spot on the street or use their valet service which is an extra $15 a day. But, here's what we loved - the restaurant for breakfast, the rooftop bar for a relaxing evening, the "beach experience" where they bring your chair, umbrella, towels, and take your drink/food order, the beach itself which was gorgeous and clean, the superb housekeeping, the nightly turn-down service with mints, the comfy, comfy bed, the concierge and the valet who were always oh so friendly and helpful, the constant cool music, the water water everywhere and all the blue lights! We will never forget this hotel, and will tell a lot of people about it.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We arrived 3 hrs before the allowed check in time. Our room wasn't ready so the manager upgraded our room to an ocean view and allowed us to check in early. The pool and pool top bar was great. The views from up there were spectacular. Very good food, the staff was great. They were friendly and helpful with whatever we needed. Cabs were outside the hotel waiting if we needed to go somewhere. The beach is literally steps aways from the
hotel. There were stores and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. It was just a cozy little spot. We had a great time.

Ok Here comes a few things I didnt like. The elevator in the hotel had no AC and was blazing hot!!! The rooms weren't dirty but could have been better cleaned. The shower had literally half of a door, so whenever u showered the floor was drenched. I don't know if they were going for some kinda style but it wasn't working. We wanted to use the pool at about 10 at night but we couldnt. We were told that the pool hours was 8-8. We had never heard of that and was never told about that prior. The blue lighting in the room is cool and all but not very good lighting.... I could not see properly to put on my makeup! There was no fridge in the room so we had to keep going to the other floor for ice. Besides all that ..we had a good stay!!

Ok..here comes the things I didn't like.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for your review. We love hearing such great comments about our staff and service. Please try and return as soon as possible and let me know personally when you do- I would like to try and get that fifth star on your next review!
Warmly,

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I snagged this blind on Hotwire for our last night in PR, all I wanted was someplace convenient to the airport. I was resigned to some big international behemoth (I never stay at those sorts of places and really don't care for them). I was so pleasantly surprised to find the Water Club a very very hip little boutique hotel! Kind of South Beach-ian but not quite. It's an older hotel, right on the water, tucked away but right in the middle of Isla Verde, recently redone with some really chic touches. It's not luxury, but it is very trendy hip.

The rooftop lounge, "Mist", is not to be missed! What a gorgeous place to have a drink and watch the sunset! And the foo-foo drinks were fun too. And ask if they will make you the cheese donuts...they were yummy for a late-night snack.

Staff throughout from front desk to beach to bartender were all friendly and efficient but also relaxed and made us feel right at home.

We really enjoyed our stay, and would have liked to stay another couple nights.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia G
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thanks for your visit and review--and thanks for confirming that WBC is the "Coolest" Hotel in this entire island of enchantment. We hope to see you again soon!
Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stopped at this hotel because we wanted to eat and it was around 10pm. Been to the hotel before but never to the restaurant. Even though the place is beautiful! Food at Zest Restaurant was terrible!!!! do not recommend it at all!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank AidyGutierrez
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for your review. While we love to read the many glowing comments people write on Trip Advisor, we truly take all constructive criticism to heart and make every attempt to learn from them. Please accept our sincere apologies. We always like to manage any issue with guests on the spot and it would have been great for this situation to be addressed during your visit. Our guests should always feel they are priority. I am 100% certain that our Executive Chef would have turned around your experience. WBC prides itself on great service. Again, I apologize if we fell short of your expectations. Please feel free to contact me at vconcepcion@waterbeachchotel.com I will be happy to speak with you on this matter.
My best,

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I want to say if you have read anything but postive do not listen to it. I have been to four and five star hotels all over us and europe and never have I had the experience I did there. It was our 10 year anniversary and we arrived and were greeted as though we were the only people there! Valet parking was great and if there was ever a need they went out of their way to go above and beyond. We had a private breakfast the morning of our anniversary on the roof, drinks brought to the beach, towels and chairs taken down to the beach and put exactly where you want them. Helped me with several surprises and pampered us until we didn't even want to leave. Most calming environment I have ever experienced with unparalled views of the mighty Atlantic. If you want or need anything, directions, advice on day trips, they are at your service. Red Carpet experience like you can't believe. I didn't want to leave, everything was perfect and the serenity of the decor was second to none. I will never stay anywhere else!!!! Dawn

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit and this review. I always love to read how our guests enjoy the “Red Carpet Experience” where every need or want is attended to with a prompt yet causal "yes". It doesn’t get better this! We hope to welcome you back real soon.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel exceeds expectations.. The staff are fantastic.. Rooms are basic but very cleverly decorated/designed with a south beach feel.. Very comfortable.. Valet/ concierge, Xavier is fantastic and showcases the hotels service.. The only
Negative is the rooftop bar.. Service is awful.. Still enjoying my stay here and just left the bar due to bad service.. Saturday night and one girl behind the. Bar who is useless ( being kind!) waited so long for a drink we left and went to skanky fun corner bar... The bar let the hotel down, everything else is amazing and will return.. Will just skip the rooftop bar, unless they have more staff.. If not.. Adios!! Fantastic hotel.. Horrible rooftop bar...:)

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank UKNV

Thank you for your feedback. All comments are useful to learn and improve. Please accept my sincere apologies for the areas of your stay where we fell short of your expectations. We certainly hold ourselves to a higher level of service. Our hotel guests should always feel that they are the priority; I would be happy to be your WBC ally when you return. I certainly know you will not experience these challenges in receiving timely and warm service on your next visit.
We appreciate the 5 stars!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!