“Spectacular...Hardly left”

San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I went down to PR to celebrate our anniversary. Having lived in PR before, we just wanted to be tourist this time around. This hotel made all the difference in the world.

The service was fantastic. We were planning to take a nap, but happened to go check out the bar upstairs. It was only noon, so hardly anyone was there. The bartender (wonderful, wonderful Aisha) made us some of the best drinks we've had in a while (especially welcome for getting off such a long flight). If she's there, please ask her for her Rum Island Iced Tea. No one else will make it like her. Fantastic.

The housekeeping was equally spectacular. Though they were punctual, we never felt like getting up on time. So most days (we stayed a week), we would have to call down after noon and ask if it would be ok if housekeeping could come back up to us. After a while, the she just expected this and knew our routine (we left a small tip daily for the trouble). This was only ever an issue one day where we had to call back down several times (they eventually still sent someone up even though it was much later in the evening).

All of the tour guide activities (rainforest, bioluminescent bay, etc.) that we looked into were familiar with the hotel (even though it is small), and were willing to pick us up from there. So, between the nightlife at the hotel itself, the nightlife all down Isle Verde Ave., and the tours picking us up, there was really no need for a car (buses and taxi's run often to Old San Juan if you like though).

The beach was never crowded, and the (really nice) service there was unexpected, but welcome. They had an employee to bring out chairs, umbrellas, and towels should you need either. It was mostly couples there, we would often run into the same people all the time. Felt good to see the familiar faces around Isle Verde.

The rooms are quaint, but the neon lights were right up our alley for a cool feel and relaxed ambiance. The restaurants and bars onsite are expensive though. So, with the exception of our favorite bartenders, we would sometimes save a few bucks with our own bottle of wine, picked up from the Walgreens across the street. The feel of the room was great for that quiet time with a glass and an awesome view of the beach.

Room Tip: The partial-ocean rooms provided great view of beach and ocean. With the longer floor-to-ceiling wi...
1  Thank Regigi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I didn't read a lot of the reviews here- I just saw there were a few hundred and the hotel got 4 stars (and there wasn't anything incredibly negative on the first page of reviews)... so, pardon me for [most likely] repeating what others have said. I was tasked to find an oceanfront room WITH a balcony (hopefully in Isla Verde) with availability for a Sunday check-in (and this was on Thursday!) And, I was trying to stay near $200/night. Using Google Satellite Maps, I saw a bunch of hotels with almost no beach, so I avoided them. We (my girlfriend was going) also prefer smaller boutique hotels, when possible. Well, I feel like we really lucked-out with the Water and Beach Club. The room was exactly what we wanted (right on the beach with a balcony), the hotel was kept nice and clean, and the staff were over-the-top friendly. Free beach chairs and towels (and not the crappy chairs we saw a lot of other hotels using), and drink service on the beach was nice (we only used it once, though). As we walked the beach, we decided we had the best spot in Isla Verde (I can't imagine staying at the Embassy Suites and having to walk that far every time we wanted to go in the ocean). Lots of sand, not many people (granted, it was off-season [August]), no rocks to deal with, like on either end of Isla Verde, and decent little waves which kept things fun.
The only negatives I found with the hotel were minor (for me)... the pool was an afterthought. Yeah, it's on the roof, so the view is cool. But, it's so small I wouldn't bother using it. No matter, because we spent hours in the ocean every day. The only other thing was the ice machine had crushed ice (I told you this was minor)... I was too cheap to pay for a 'fridge, so I was constantly getting ice to keep drinks cold. Crushed ice melts faster than cubes. Again, no big deal.
The blue lighting in the hotel was different, and kinda cool. The rooftop bar was nice to have, but we only went one night. I imagine it gets pretty packed in-season (but, I preferred it with only a few people).
I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in San Juan or Isla Verde- I don't think we could have found a better place, and it really added to our enjoyment of the island.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and see if you can get a deal- I have never tried this before, but it worked incredib...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank broadwayron
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The staff is what makes this place great. It is a cool atmosphere and a decent renovation of the building but everyone works very hard to make sure you have a great experience .... and we did! We had really good meals in both Zest and Mist, the concierge was very helpful in getting our days planned and Juan on the beach is awesome. We knew we were in the right place when Virna recognized us under our beach umbrella while checking on everyone during the day. She really impressed us! Bartender Carlos was really fun to talk with too. Thanks to everyone for your dedication to your guests ---- we hope to get back there very soon.

Room Tip: We got an oceanfront balcony room - didnt see the others but I assume the view is worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I loved this Hotel. I loved the atmosphere, the lighting and the decor gave it a great ambiance. The staff was really friendly and the location was great. Walking distance to good food, car rental and Casino. I will be going back

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dallen77510
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

And we love you more…Thank you for this review. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we’re already looking forward to your next visit.
Many thanks,

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Wonderful hotel! The hotel is an excellent value and because it is a smaller boutique hotel the staff gets to know you & your needs. The staff is excellent, friendly and helpful. We had two full beds and a great side view of the beach. The rooftop provides amazing beach/city views and is perfect for hanging by the pool, lounging on any of the white couches or having lunch/drinks. There is always music with a "chill" vibe throughout the hotel. They provide chairs/umbrellas on the beach for the guests. There are towels by the pool area for pool/beach use. The rooms are bright, white and sunny during the day and have a cool blue lighting at night. Great hotel, great staff! Even though there was music on the rooftop, we never heard it in our rooms. We will return to this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tanya_From_Memphis

Thank you so much for your recent visit and this review; especially mentioning our committed staffs as they are the ones who make the magic happen. You’ve pretty much covered the entire WBC experience, with pictures to boot! Thank you again and hurry back!
My best,

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Views from the hotel room were amazing! Our bed faced the ocean, and we couldn't wait to get up and walk on the beach at sunrise. The rooftop pool and lounge had a fantastic atmosphere for this young couple in love (50 yr olds married 26 yrs). Very friendly staff all around. We highly recommend this hotel and plan on returning next year.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $ and get a room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Location! Location! Location! With friendly service and everything you need that’s the WBC! Thank you for your kind words, please come back again soon for some more rest and relaxation.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel is located literally a few steps away from the beach and less than 10 mins away from the airport. Cab costs me $13. Everybody was super friendly from the valet people to the cleaning maids. There was always someone there to open the door for you when you get to the entrance. The hotel is pretty nice inside. As one reviewer said it does have that miami vibe when you walk in. The elevator had a waterfall. Downside is that the eleveator is kind of hot due to the waterfall.
In terms of the room it wasnt bad. There was a weird sort of musty odor when we walked in but we eventually got used to it. I was contemplating buying some air freshner from Walgreens which is conveniently located steps away from the hotel. Back to the room. It was a standard room with a king bed, flat screen tv (had tons of channels to watch), ipod deck, ironing board and a safe (which didnt work). The bathroom was decent but the shower had some mold on the floor. I always wear flip flops when i use hotel showers anyways though so that wasnt a total big deal for me. I could see the beach from my hotel but the windows were not pleasant to look through. Looked like they needed a could dose of windex. Luckily, there are two window drapes. A sheer one and a thick standard one. If you just pull back the standard drape and leave the sheer drape closed you do get some nnice sunlight without the dirty view. The bed sheets were clean. There is a lounge upstairs with a bar and a pool. The pool is small but who needas a pool when the beach is right there. I dont know what genius decided that white couches was a good idea because they lounge chairs and couches looked disgusting. Stains and black marks. The hotel is located a few short blocks away from old san juan resort and casino were at night they have a live band and a few shops in the lobby. Great place to hangout. Aside the negatives of this hotel i really did enjoy my stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont get a room next to the elevator. You can hear it at night.
2  Thank tildeestbelle
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you for your review. We listen to our guests’ feedback and use them as tools to learn and grow. We certainly hope for our guests to have far better than an average stay. We appreciate your comments and will surely use them to make sure we are always improving our hotel and service. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next travel plans, so I may welcome you back personally.
My best,

CasaBlanca Hotel
#5 of 47 in San Juan
1 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!