“Beautiful hotel but rude staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Morrison, Colorado
“Beautiful hotel but rude staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Coming back from a 7 day cruise - my wife and I wanted a nice place to stay before returning home. The resort is great ... the beach is wonderful. It looks like a hurricane hit the place though ... and we realized that we would wait for the room when we arrived at 11AM ... but then 12 came ... 1 came ... 2 came ... finally a bit past 3 we got a room. And I am a Diamond ... plus I found many of the folks at front desk and at the bars to be curt and a bit rude ... too bad - it spoiled a nice conclusion to a great trip.

Room Tip: Tip heavily I guess
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SMS-IBM
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. As a Hilton Diamond Honors Member we sincerely appreciate your business. Our main priority is for our guests to feel welcome and have comfortable stay. I do however understand from your review that you were not completely satisfied with our properly and I sincerely apologize if we fell short of your expectations. I understand that you had a disappointing experience with some of our staff members and that they were not able to provide you with the attentive service you deserve. I can assure you this is very unusual to happen and I've made sure to personally speak to our staff regarding your comments. We make every effort to respect our guests and I truly apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused.

Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our location again.

Sincerly,

Sarahi Maldonado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
Teaneck
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I am writing this review as a travel agent and I am disgusted that I sent my clients here I am embarrassed for you and myself, they said this place was disgusting. They also mentioned that the website and the pictures are deceiving, this place needs a face lift ASAP...They did say the staff was very nice , but that did not make up for the hotel being dirty. They also mentioned that when the maids cleaned the rooms it seemed as though nothing was done. I will never send anyone to this hotel again until you renovate this property.. IT NEEDS TO BE DONE IMMEDIATELY.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gerlanda D
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. First of all, thank you for your review. I was extremely disappointed that the clients you sent to our hotel were unsatisfied with their visit. I understand that they found our hotel to be somewhat dated and in need of an update. I do appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest rooms’ appearance as this is an area we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.

Please know that we appreciate your business and I'd like the opportunity to speak to you personally to make sure we can improve our hotel to earn back referrals.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Visited for three nights. Previously stayed at the hotel in February 2012, and was excited to go back after the last positive experience. After this most recent visit, will probably look to stay elsewhere.

First, the positive. The pools are very nice and the beach is great. Drinks are pricy, but that is to be expected.
There are plenty of restaurants in the hotel and in the vicinity, so no need for a car if you are just looking to relax. (Only $13 cab from the airport).

Unfortunately no room upgrade this time, so just got a standard room. Room was clean, but nothing special.

The negative: very spotty hot water. Enough said. Moreover, the hotel was overrun with aging frat boys. No problem in and of itself, but we had the misfortune of being next door to the main party. Had to visit the lobby at 4 am on multiple nights to request someone to take care of the (poor quality) music and shouting. The hotel purported to have a "three strikes" policy for rowdy guests, but these people blew through four in our mind. The inconsideration shown to repeat guests, in my mind, merits a look elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Chris C
New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Very nice older classy hotel with several good resturaunts onsite.. we didn't leave for 3 days. One caveat - it is close to San Juan airport and could hear the planes taking off inside our room. Other rooms might be quieter but ours was not.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night (almost didn't make it) after our cruise waiting for our flight the next morning. The resort looks very nice and peaceful....but don't be fooled! once 8pm comes around look out! If you are staying here with your family and kids...look elsewhere please! After dinner we went back out to the pool areas (around 6pm).....if you like swimming with empty beer cans in the pool and having your children walk through empty cans in the areas around the pool then this place is for you! It seems a lot of college age kids go and or stay here often as we soon found out when we tried to go to sleep that night.....first of all the club downstairs had loud club music playing from 8pm-5AM!!!! yes 5AM...and even on the 4th floor we could hear that music clear as day keeping us up from 10pm-5am even with ear plugs in. We made multiple calls (5 to be exact) to front desk/security due to the music from the club as well as the 5 rooms on our floor filled with young college students blasting music, running the halls, and for some reason thinking it was appropriate to slam on all the doors in the hallyway as well as the sliding glass door on our outdoor patio. Again after 5 calls for security I finally went out to the hallway to knock on the doors of the rooms with the yelling and music blasting from it to stop them...and when I did (at 3:47AM) I found security in the hallways talking with the young girls (instead of responding to my 5 calls) before they ran towards me yelling to stop and get back to my room. It was then that they finally entered the rooms and had the kids turn down their music and stop yelling...lasted about fifteen minutes then it came back on. So needless to say the 4 of us didn't sleep at all and left the resort at 600AM for the airport...not before confronting the front desk and security to express our dissatisfaction again....oh and by the way...the head of security at the resort was one of the 2 security people talking with the young girls when I went out into the hallway.....so overall....please be careful and choose this resort wisely if you would like to actually sleep......as I even talked to other families (while at the pool) who were staying here for several nights and told me that its been loud each night and they would never do this again. so overall the experience my family and I had here was horrific, never will I stay here again nor would I recommend this place to ANYONE who is attempting to have an actual vacation

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE...that's the only tip i can give
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Amanda F
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I am so sorry if there were some of guests who were rowdy and disruptive. I especially would like to apologize that our staff did not resolve this issue promptly. I truly appreciate you bringing this issue to my attention and I assure you that I have spoken to our security team regarding your comments. . I hope you will not let this isolated incident detour you from staying with us in the future. I am confident that given the opportunity, your next stay with us will be a more pleasant one.

Again, I apologize for any inconveniences you went through and hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again. If I can assist you further, certainly let me know. Thank you.

Sincerly,

Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I heard that the garden lanai rooms were wonderful, so we booked one for a few days this month. Unfortunately, when we arrived, we learned that the rooms are undergoing renovation right now. They put us on the 7th floor in the tower, and while the room was spacious, the bath wasn't much to get excited about. It had a heavy sliding door that was hard to open and close. There wasn't much counter space. We had a room with no balcony and a street view. The carpet on the 7th floor hall was dirty. On the positive side, the lobby is very impressive. The casino is nice, although a little loud when they play BINGO. The pools are lovely. The staff is pleasant. In fact, everyone we encountered in Puerto Rico was polite and friendly. The hotel's location is great. There are pleanty of restaurants within walking distance and a bus stop is right out front.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy T
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

My friend and I stay there for two days. We were placed on the second floor. There was live music right beneath us very night until 2 or 3am. No hot water. extremely frustrating. Except the staff at the front desk was nice, I cannot find anything nice to say about this place. It looked okay outside, but it is not a relaxing place to be. stay away from it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LY07
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, November 5, 2013

Susan Wilkerson
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,546 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!