WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Lido Beach, New York
“good changes since my last review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

As a very frequent guest at this property, I've seen numerous differences from stay to stay. When I last commented, about 3 months ago, I was somewhat disappointed. However, after 2 more stays this winter, I can honestly say that the services have really improved. The main issues were housekeeping and places to get food or a drink. The housekeeping has improved, and the various bars/ lunch or nosh places have expanded their hours and the menus. As always the front desk , beach, and concierge services are great. Try it, you will love the friendliness that makes you feel at home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank pandg27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
Baltimore, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I think it all depends on the room you receive and the staff you work with. I found some very helpful people (Albania) and some not so helpful staff (concierge, a few people at the front desk). In addition, our room was located near the elevator and we heard the elevator run all night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Roslyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was my second year visiting the el San Juan and my family, friends and I had an amazing time! I travelled with my children and their friends. We had perfect weather every day! My kids went banana boat riding everyday, went jet skiing and we also took a snorkeling excursion to icacos island which I highly recommend . They also loved the secret alcoves and waterfalls by the pool. Next to the beautiful beach and pools, the nightly entertainment in the lobby had my teenage kids occupied for a whole week. They thoroughly enjoyed the bands that played several nights while we were there and we loved having Starbucks in two different locations within the hotel. The room we had was a vista room on the 9th floor which was very spacious and very clean with amazing views of the pool and ocean. Every staff member greeted us with a smile everyday. Whenever I left my room i was greeted by the cleaning staff and i was asked repeatedly if I needed shampoo, towels etc. Twice during our stay we arrived at our room after a day at the beach to find a beautiful tray of fruit, cheese and crackers and a nice note from the hotel manager Susan Wilkerson who by the way went the extra mile to help me with my reservation. Thank You Susan!! I have children ranging from 11 to 15 and they all had an amazing experience at the El San Juan! See you next year!!!!!!! :)

Room Tip: Request a room on the 9th floor with an odd number. Best views ever!!
1 Thank Maddy A
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Family enjoyed yet another spring break El San Juan Resort. We have also stayed at Hilton and at Fajardo properties. HH member that would recommend to anyone. Great location and hotel. Close to a lot of good eats, local and chain. Grocery store just blocks away.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Chillywilly1967
Woodbury, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Nicest beach on the island and close to many activities. The rooms were nice but dated a bit and could use renovation. Beach / pool excellent and the employees were all very friendly and helpful. Great experience/would stay again

2 Thank dg1365
Nashotah, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

While traveling with my daughter, I reserved a room with 2 beds. I confirmed this reservation several days prior to arriving. Upon arrival I was informed that my "reservation" was a request only and no double beds were available. The attitude by the staff and manager was unacceptable.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

East Islip, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The El San Juan is a 3-star resort that believes it's a 4-star resort and has 5-star prices.

Visited with my wife and used Hilton points for a 5-night stay.

PROS
- Gorgeous lobby, amazing pools
- Friendly service
- We arrived at 1130am and were able to check-in, which was really nice (although early check-ins seem rare here based on other reviews)
- Decent sized casino if that's your thing
- Large room and comfortable bed (we stayed in a junior suite, although we probably would not have paid the $369 a night it was going for if we didn't have Hilton points)
-A 10 minute ride from the airport. We could watch planes take off from out window. I was worried about noise from the airport before we got there, but you really don't hear a thing from inside.

CONS
- The disgusting shower floor literally takes a whole star away from this review. It looks worse than anything I saw in my college dorm and those showers were pretty gross. It's sad because the rest of the room has clearly been completely redone in recently years.
- The TV is tiny and non-HD and also a good 15-feet from the bed. Sure, you aren't spending much time in the room at a beachside resort, but I shouldn't have to squint to see the time on the TV.
- The system in place to make room charges is ridiculous. The night before we checked out, I noticed bar charges for $57 and $8 on my room bill, charges I did not make. The front desk removed them, but the current system of having guests just write down their room number and sign a bill is absurd. It's totally wrong, but you could rack up a bill of $500 at the lobby bar, put down a random room number, scribble a signature and take off. The hotel should either require ID to make room charges or sync the room key cards so they can used as room charge cards (similar to the system used on cruise ships). The front desk employee we dealt with said issues with room charges are frequent, so this is clearly something that needs to be fixed.

TIPS
- Stay in the main tower. Despite some issues, the rooms are newly renovated.
- Do not buy drinks at the hotel bars, where a mojito will set you back $13. Walk out of the hotel, walk a quarter mile down the road and stock up on liquor and beer from Walgreens/the liquor store. There's no reason to overpay for drinks at the hotel.

Overall, despite its flaws (many which could be easily corrected), I would return to the El San Juan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank RyanBonner
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
On behalf of the management and staff we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for selecting our hotel. At the same time we are disappointed to learn of your mixed feelings, as we always like to ensure that our guests feel cared for, valued and respected, which is our brand promise. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and I assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
InterContinental San Juan
#5 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,135 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!