“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I just came back form the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I have been to Africa and India.. To start the hotel was way to over price for food and drinks that were not good. The hotel gust room bathrooms were disgusting. There was mold and filth everywhere.. The toilet look as if it was never cleaned at the base.. The walls had stains everywhere.. There was someone else hair stuck to the walls...the shower floor was stained yellow and the towels were stained with what looked like blood. All of the furniture in the room was rusted and filthy. There was mold behind the bed and through out all of the room. I still feel sick because of it. I had a friend that had to change rooms because when she checked into her room the room was infested with lizards! The hotel maid never came all of the 3 days of our stay so we had to keep using our same towels for every day of our say. However the hotel did charge us a maid service 3 times a DAY every day of our stay for a maid service even without having our room cleaned. The hotel also charged us a bellhop charge 2 times a DAY everyday of our stay.. Even though I never saw a never saw a bellhop our entire stay at the hotel. We had to rent towels to use on the beach.. And we were charged $40 a day for not returning our towels at the stand we rented them out.. But there was nothing stated that we would have been charged a fee if we did not return them at that one spot. They did have an area as you left the beach to bring your used towels to... I believe That was in Hopes you would drop them off there so that could charge you the $40 a day for your RENTED towels at a beach resort. The hotel also charges your credit card before your check out at the end of your stay for each night without being informed. Our credit card was cut off because they thought our card was stolen and because the hotel was charging the card past the limit we had on our card. They charged our card almost $200 extra dollars.. There reason being.. If we wanted to shop or eat at the restaurants at the hotel we would have it paid in advance. They also charged us a double deposit. We still have not be reimbursed the money. When we booked our stay we were given a total amount of what our hotel stay would be. Sadly that was not the truth.. We ended up paying and extra $100+ in hidden hotel taxes that we were not informed about and did not agree to before booking out trip. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I would never recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.. They should not have the word resort I there name!

Room Tip: Do not book a vacation in this hotel!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ani03302012
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write this review on this web site. I would like to apologize for the experience at the property. I have already shared the details with our executive team for their immediate attetnion. In the efforts to clarify, we do not charge for towel use, and I am sorry this was not communicated to you correctly, the fee you mention is a charge for not returning the towels, understandibly this was not informed to you, I have addressed this with our pool staff. As to the credit card issues, we do require a form of payment at the moment of check in to establish credit for your room charges, including incidentals you may charge to your room account, we only charge at the moment of check out. Again I do aplolgize for any mis communication and we will take immediate action to correct. Please contact me directly, as I would like to speak to you personally, and make every effort to rectify this impression of the property.
Susan.wilkerson@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful time at this hotel. We received the best service we have ever received from at a hotel from Angelo Berrios (door man). Angelo was friendly and answered any questions that my and I had about the island. I would recommend that if you are traveling to this hotel please take the time and talk with Angelo for a few minutes.

1 Thank Eric W
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We arrived prior to check in time as Gold Honors members. With all the previous reviews we didn't know if this would be our dream weekend away. Upon arrival we were greeted by Francis she was very helpful and super nice. Our room was ready and we had an oceanfront lanai suite. Beautiful room there was a few negatives number 1 it started raining within minutes of walking through the door everyone from the pool ran to our patio to save their personal belongings from getting wet so no real privacy. And the exterior door leading to the patio does not offer key entry so we had to walk around the building to get to the pool if we wanted to leave our room safe and locked. The other negative was thank goodness we arrived before the rain because there is no safe way to arrive at the room without walking out getting wet. We were not offered concierge service to walk us to our room either. The room was clean and everything was excellent there are a few minor repairs that need to be done but nothing that all hotels have. I was impressed by how efficient the stay started. The swim up bar was nice although the bartenders are more interested in talking to their coworkers than making sure you don't need a refill. The next day same thing the beer was not cold and the bartenders were rude and not very helpful. Two thumbs down for the bar. Nightlife was interesting the lobby turns into the main attraction with a live band and dj. Again bar service was slacking we waited 10 minutes for someone to acknowledge we were standing at the bar. The nightclub Brava I think was the name was just like any other nightclub in Miami with the exception of selling only certain beers and drinks. So we didn't stay long. Good thing we didn't pay to enter. All in all we had a great time we are considering returning sometime soon. Hopefully the bar staff is more attentive if not I think we might just visit the local supermarket and stock up. :)

1 Thank Jashmine
Yonkers, New York, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel is conveniently locate near everything and in front of one of the best beaches in the area. They have live entertainment on weekends in the lobby and a nice disco n pools. However, the rooms were dirty, the sheets were not changed every night and were stained. One morning we saw a big cockroach in the room that was a disguising experience for my wife.

Room Tip: Don't select the rooms with pool view they r disgusting. Honestly I don't know if the othe...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
On behalf of our family, I truly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced in our hotel. I would like to contact you to hear in more detail these unfortunate events in order to improve our service and product. I will share your comments with our leadership team. Rest assured that we will take immediate action to solve these opportunities.

I remain at your service.
Chesterfield VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Wow, this place while having a great location need some serious customer service work. The hotel have a no beachwear policy- but allows and encourages partying pretty much naked until 5:00 am, the casino feeds alcohol to guests until the are vomiting and passing out all over the hotel. If you have children, stay as far away from this place. Managers will not return calls, but if you want to go absolutely nuts this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rayder10
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write this review on this web site. On behalf of the associates of the El San Juan Hotel & Casino, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced. Please contact me directly, as I would like to speak to you personally, and make every effort to rectify this impression of the property, and to understand the deficiencies in service you mention. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our product and services; and your feedback is very important in achieving this. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you!
Susan.wilkerson@hilton.com
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

The El San Juan is a very nice resort. It really has all you need to have a relaxing and fun stay. We were very happy with our stay.
It was a happening place, the long weekend we were there. It is a combination of relaxation and partying, and of cultures. Relax in the many pools, on the beach, or in hammocks hanging in the palm trees. The nightlife includes a popular club with dancing (has dress code), the main lobby which often has live entertainment, and of course the casino. In our Th – Sat nights stay we experienced all the above, two restaurants KOCO (loved it), Yamato (average), room service (excellent) and the workout room ( above average). The main lobby’s entertainment area has a few bars. We saw a concert here on Thursday night which included the lead singer that toured with Journey, and a lead singer of Toto. They switched off between Journey, Toto and a few other songs, and were backed by a talented group of musicians and singer that also performed some AC/DC. The concert was a great time, and as guests of the hotel we had free admission to the concert. This was a special event and I am not sure how often they do these type of events, but it definitely was a huge unexpected bonus for us.
We had the pleasure of meeting Susan Wilkerson, and she was instrumental in making our stay special. We had a wonderful room, a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate our special occasion, and she shared some knowledge of the area. She was awesome, but the rest of the staff were helpful and very nice as well.
The pros and cons. Cons: First, I think the cost of drinks in the bars around the pools was way too expensive. People were finding alternatives, which I think hurts the hotel. If hotel management cut the prices of their drinks at the pool side bars by 30 – 50%, people would spend more time and money in the pool area. Second, Casino, we usually play for a few hours, but the minimum at the black jack tables was high, and we did not win one hand or slot pull. Pros: the grounds were very well maintained. Security was very apparent, and we felt safe at all times. We did not use the Ping pong table or the Tennis court, but it's a nice extra for those inclined. The hotel is close to the airport, so we did not need a rental car, and used public bus transportation to Old San Juan. Also, Guests get free admission to certain things; Club and special event mentioned above.
A mixed pro/con is that the hotel is in the process of refurbishing their rooms. Odds seem to be slowly turning in favor of getting a refurbished room, but the resort is very large and it will take time.

1 Thank LoupMom
Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure being of service! I see you took advantage of the many amenites the El San Juan has to offer and enjoyed the service the staff rendered!
Puerto Rico, as an island has so much to offer as a destination, I was delighted to hear you were able to enjoy some of the sites as well!
Thank you, again and we look forward to your return visit! Please make sure to contact me, as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back!

All the Best!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed from September 29th until October 2nd. I must say this hotel really amazed me. The lobby is incredible, as I came in, it obviously caught my attention. When I checked in I was received by an agent, but I didn't feel special or recognized at all, mostly because I'm a HHonors. After 8 minutes I came down to the desk because the room was not what I expected (was at the garden lanais), but then Ambar at the front desk took care of me, and made my stay very pleasant. A lot of hospitality, good service, and willingness to make me feel welcome came from Amber which changed my perspective from the service at the front desk. I really liked this hotel and have plans to come back. It's near the beach and the airport and very convenient. The rooms at the tower are much nicer and newer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main tower (rooms are newer)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! and we thank you for selecting the El San Juan for your getaway. Your review was very complimentary of our service and facility, and I thank you for that and for mentioning one of our service stars at the front desk, "Ambar", she is a true definition of hospitality!
Upon your next to San Juan, it would be a pleasure and to personally thank you for kind words..

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,541 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!