“Great hotel, would stay again”

El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
“Great hotel, would stay again”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed 3 nights at the ESJ. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are coming to San Juan. My room was excellent and very comfortable. The shower was a little small but certainly served its purpose. Koko is by far the best restaurant in the hotel. I went there for two nights and the food was very good. If you go, ask to be seated at one of Hayden's tables. She was very sweet fun to talk to. Joe the bartender was great as well. If you get dessert, have the crepes and some coffee. The coffee was the best that I've ever had.

the pool areas are extremely nice as well. I was there from Monday to Wednesday so there was no shortage of empty chairs. If you're looking to be around a lot of people then make sure you stay from Thursday to Sunday. I was told by several people that the place really picks up on those nights.

The town of Isla Verde is not really nice. If you like to get out and explore then go to old San Juan. There is nothing to see in Isla Verde. If you like staying in one place the the El San Juan is perfect for you. I felt no need to really go anywhere else.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and if I make it back to Puerto Rico I will stay there again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Clint M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

When I say "Oldie but Goody", I mean I have been to this hotel many times but not for several years. It was always top of the line and has gotten better. There used to be an "attitude" that was a little trying. Talk about a complete turn around, from the clerk at check in to the telephone operator and everyone in between, they could not have been more accommodating.
The restaurants give you great variety, service and quality. No one rushes you out. Being on my own can be a little uncomfortable, however, the waitstaff and Maitre D' made me feel right at home and gave me a little extra TLC which was greatly appreciated. I love the way they opened up the pool area down by the beach. Now you can easily find a comfortable spot to suit your sun bathing preferences.No need to leave the property as they have everything there to fill your needs and keep you busy in complete comfort all week or just a weekend. Talk about gorgeous, WOW! There is old world charm with modern conveniences. Have a seat in the lobby and watch the world go bye while enjoying on a Tropical Drink or slowly sipping on a delicious Cognac. I'll be back!

Room Tip: I was mid-hotel about half way up with ocean-view. Loved every minute of it! Could not have been mor...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Williamsburg
Reviewed September 24, 2012

What I enjoyed the absolute most was the lobby turning into a dance floor at night!! What fun!
Guests and locals alike were dancing salsa, merengues, bachata, etc. to bands and djs all night. There were couples, singles and families, young and old dancing, with or without partners. It didn't matter! Everyone danced with their hearts and souls. With 3 bars in the lobby there is very little waiting for drinks.

The hotel's service, rooms and food was all good.... the evenings were fabulous! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Bring comfy dancing and walking shoes! :)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lpearson1069
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Great location, never really need to leave. However, service is a little too slow and doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy. Restaurants were good and the overall vibe of the resort was great. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank bfunkadunk
Newburgh, New York, United States
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hotel was beautiful
Upon Checkin the lady was extremely RUDE to my sister that was checking in for me. She gave her a full attitude which my sister has never had before from anyone at El San Juan, she has stayed here on multiple occasions and didn't expect to be spoken to in this manner. There was a line at checkin and the Rep knew the people behind my sister so she took them first. She asked when it was her turn why the couple behind her were taken first and the lady replied to her that she wasn't being unfair thats just how things work around there! SAD Very sad that even when you pay full price you are spoken to and treated so rudely.

When I rechecked in the on Sunday morning, the lady was GREAT... We explained the issue the day before and she apologized for the staff.

the poolside can use several upgrades, chairs and towels should be set on beach every morning for the price of a nights stay. Water should be available beach side also

the service at the bar by the pools was NOT good, took me 10 minutes to get waiters attention and he was rude when he spoke to me. there was only one other person at the bar at the time. it was a sunday at noon. price for the burger was decent and well cooked and tasted great. I had my payment set at the bar for waiter to pick up , he kept ignoring as if I was not there, I wound up billing the burger to my room because no one would come to take my check and I was getting upset, rather than to give him an attitude back I removed my credit card from the check and circled bill to room. NOT pleased at all with this part. Very annoying to be spoken to with an attitude from a employee at a resort where I had just paid $300 to stay one sat. night.

Rest rooms in the lobby are not clean. First stall in Ladies room the floor is gross, all moldings and trimmings of wood in the entire restroom are dirty. Should def not look in this manner at any time of day or day of week. Unacceptable!

The hotel is again beautiful with breath taking views of the beach and great entertainment on Thurs Fri and sat night. Sunday night should also have more than a 3 man band clapping there hands to the beat.

Room: Each room should have a full mirror. the room was not cleaned daily... bed was maid and new towels set floor swept, not mopped nor did they remove our glass wear and give new ones... I had to ask daily for the old glasses to be taken and new ones brought.

As a whole, I was disappointed with the hotel and services.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lisette V
Brooklyn
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I just came back from celebrating my birthday weekend at ESJ & let me say please dont believe all the negativity that people write about this resort. My experience from begining to end was fabulous. I was nervous at first reading all the negative reviews on trip advisor & contacted the manager Susan Wilkerson. We were to stay in the garden lanai rooms, but she gave us an upgrade to the tower building on the 8th fl. room # 836 & #839 it was unbelievable. We were also presented with a platter of fruit, & cheese & crackers from Susan, I thought that was really nice of her.
Check in was a breeze thanks to Amber at the front desk. She was so friendly, helpul, fast & knowledgeable. She greeted us with a warm smile asked about our flight coming in & made a lasting impression, she even made me a Hilton member lol. you couldnt pick a better person to be at the front desk making the quest feel welcomed!!!! I didnt come across any rude employees my entire stay. Most the staff greeted me with a smile, a good morning or hello!!!!
The view from the room was the great, we were able to see the pool area & at night it was a sight to see with all the pretty lights. The room is all white, furniture, TV, chairs, bed. & speaking of the bed it was soooooo comfortable & the pillows were just as comfy!!!!!! the shower area was kinda small, but bearable (no points taken off for that)
As everyone mentioned the lobby is beautiful, plenty off lounge areas & loung chairs. The pool areas are amazing! Plenty of lounge chairs, no matter what time of the day I went to relax by any of the three pools. My Son who is 17, my two nieces 11 & 9, & my sister 39 all had a blast & could not break themselves away from the pool. The beach was soooooo peaceful & relaxing again plenty of lounge chairs for all.
Once you walk outside the resort you have all kinds of restaurants to the left or right. Everything is right in the vicinity of the hotel. You dont have to walk far, & In my opinion you couldnt be in better location
Bottom line is I was VEEERY skeptical at first & wanted to cancel the reservation for this resort, but after corresponding with Susan Wilkerson & experiencing this fabulous resort for myself, I'm glad I didnt cancel We had such a great time we plan on going back in March for my sisters birthday with 6 of our friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank carlice
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for selecting the El San Juan as your vacation destination recently, and for taking the time to share your experience at the resort, and the special mention of some of one of our Service Stars, Ambar Gallardo..The El San Juan has many alluring amenities to offer, and a great staff that enjoy welcoming our guests to their "home away from home" We appreciate contacting us prior to your arrival so that we can offer any assistance in making your stay as memorable as possible!

At your service!

Susan.wilkerson@hilton.com
Glendale, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2012

While I didn't stay as a registerd guest, I did have dinner there at the Italian restaurant, which was outstanding!! I went back the next night (Monday) in search of authentic local cuisine but their in-house restaurant was closed. With the personal recommendation of the doorman, Angelo, we found an excellent restaurant a short walk away. Angelo made dinner reservations for us and personally escorted us there!! And he refused a tip for this kind service, all while knowing we were not guests of the hotel! If only the lobby ladies room was better maintained.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
The Condado Plaza Hilton
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!