“One of my favorites places to stay in Puerto Rico” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“One of my favorites places to stay in Puerto Rico”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel offers a great beach, pool, and amenities, but also has great nightlife. You do not even need to leave the hotel to experience great San Juan nightlife. Thursday through Saturday, the lobby offers live music and dancing, and Club Brava is also a part of this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms are best!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I just returned from a four night stay with my boyfriend for our 3 year anniversary. I work in the hospitality industy in Boston and the level of service at the El San Juan Resort and Casino is awful. As someone who works in Human Resources, I would fire everyone at this hotel and start over with friendly, happy people (except for the doorman Henry who was an extreme asset and the best person we interacted with the whole trip).

I emailed the manager of the front desk before I arrived with some concerns. Right off the bat I got a rude email back to me, passing my inquiry off to someone else, whom I never heard back from.

When we arrived at the front desk it was understaffed. We waited in line for about 15 minutes before being seen. The girl at the desk was patronizing. We were told our room was not ready yet, completely understandable as we arrived at 11am with a 4pm check in time, so we headed to the pool. Before we could even grab a chair they called saying the room was ready. I had high hopes that things were turning around. When we got to the room it was old and dated and dirty. I called down to the desk and was told I would be put on a wait list to move. I did not want to argue with the girl, having worked at the Front Desk of a hotel before I know being rude does not get you anywhere. I let it go, but was disappointed. In the email I had written before I had expressed my concern about room type, told them it was our anniversary, and was willing to pay extra for a nice room to make our trip special. All of this was ignored. My boyfriend finally went down a few hours later and spoke with a manager to get our room changed. He informed me the first girl he spoke with was very rude in regards to his request for a manager, but the manager herself was nice and moved us into a standard room just a little above what we were staying in at the moment, but did not offer and upgrade, which we were willing to pay for.

The staff throughout the hotel was much of the same. They were rude, seemed to be bothered by a simple request or question. Don't even bother going to the concierge. I don't even know why they have one. She did not answer any of my questions, nor offer me any sort of map. Just see Henry the doorman, he will give you a map, tell you all about the cool places to see on the island, and get you a taxi no problem. The tour guide booker girl by the entrance to the pool was rude at first and did not seem that interested in helping us. Once she learned we were willing to spend some money though, her attitude turned right around. Take the rain forest hiking tour. You get a great experience of hiking through the rainforest, ending up at a waterfall you can swim in, and taken to a local puerto rican restaurant with some great food. Totally worth the price and they pick you up at the hotel so no worries about transportation. If you want to get some gelato in the hotel lobby cafe area and you see a young man behind the counter, just walk away. He was the rudest customer service employee I have ever encountered in my life. "What do you want?" with the biggest attitude I have ever heard. Did not speak to us the rest of the interection. Passed off my boyfriends credit card to be swiped by someone else, walked away for 10 minutes, and then walked back over to us with no explanation at all to be signed. It was mind blowing.

The pool area is alright, somewhat dirty. The beds are nice to relax in if you can find one. Drinks are ridiculously over priced. For a beer and mixed drink your spending $30 and it comes in a small plastic cup. We headed over to the other Hilton Hotel one day, Caribe, for the snuba activity and got a drink there. Same price, but Solo cup sized. Seems strange that for the same hotel brand you get a lot more at one then the other. We had lunch at the Olympic Pool bar the first day, the food was alright, best burger I had while in PR, but over priced. There are restuarants you can walk to close by that are better and cheaper, including churches fast food chicken just down the street. For our fancy celebration dinner we opted to go to the intercontiental right next store, which was worth the price and walk because the service was 10 times better and so was the food. Go out of the resort when you can, the options are there.

The hotel lobby and casino were nice things to do at night. The did have a live band one night, and club brava was open one night, but we decided not to go there. The atmosphere is cool at night in the lobby, there is a dress code so be prepared, but we didnt find it was much enforced if you were just walking to your room. Service at these places in the lobby are much the same.

They were shooting a movie the last day we were there, which did take up the whole lobby area. It was really interesting to see all of the changes they made to the lobby. They actually made it look better. They did take up the whole front door, so leaving and getting a taxi were a little confusing, but it wasnt that bad. It was a major motion picture bringing in 35 million dollars to Puerto Rico and I got to see Justin Timberlake. No complaints there.

Overall, your trip will be what you make of it, but if your looking for catering and luxurious service for a Waldorf Astoria Resort, think again. You will not get that here for the money that you are spending, which is a shame. It surprises me the lack of service standards at a hotel you are expected to tip the staff compared to the hotel I work in, where we do not accept tips and are constantly awarded for our service.

Room Tip: If you want a crappy room, but want to be away from the lobby craziness and dress code, choose the g...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sara S
, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Sara, On behalf of our family, I truly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced in our hotel. I would like to contact you to hear in more detail these unfortunate events in order to improve our service and product. I will share your comments with our leadership team. Rest assured that we will take immediate action to solve these opportunities. I am sorry I missed your email, we had a major internet outage a few weeks ago, and I had not recieved your correspondence, it would have been a pleasure to have been able to assit you, I was happy to see the management did react and move your room.
Thank you again..

Susan.wilkerson@hilton.com
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is my very first review on any hotel but I thought I should write this to save new customers from wasting their money and what they should be aware of. As a new comer to the island of Puerto Rico, I was excited to come to this hotel in anticipation that it would be an incredible experience based on what I read in several reviews and I was staying here for 5 days. I wish I would've taken in consideration why certain customers wrote what they wrote in the negative comments. As soon as I arrived in PR, I went straight to the hotel and Mara who was in the front was not only rude but she did not pay attention to the questions we had in regard to the hotel. She said check-in was at 4 pm and that they would call us. It was 3 pm when we arrived to the hotel. We had left our luggage in the hotel to go get some local food at Metropol which is 5 blocks from the hotel. As soon as we returned it was 4:30 pm and they said our room was still not ready. We decided to have patience with the hotel and stayed at the beach and check-out the location. The beach and pools are amazing but now it was 6 pm. We still waited for the call and decided to call the front lobby. They had the nerve to tell us that they were calling us for half an hour to tell us that the room was ready. This just showed how much attention the front desk woman had in taking in our correct phone number. The hotel was going to compensate us with a $50 credit and put in our room key and no written document was provided or nothing. We went up to our room and noticed that it was very big but they did not give us the city view that we had requested. The bathrooms are in desperate need of upgrading due to the mold in the showers and the hair we found in the bathroom. As if that was worst we experienced, unfortunately it continued in their restaurant at Brother Jimmys BBQ. The waitress was very slow in coming to take our orders. It took her 20 minutes to come our table another 20 minutes to bring in our food and another extra 30 mins to receive our food on top of waiting for our drinks. After our meal was over, we had mentioned to the waitress we had a $50 credit and that became another issue. She had asked where was the proof and that the front desk had denied our $50 credit. We had to escalate the situation to the manager which took us another hour of our time to resolve this issue. The manager came out and said he had to verify with the front desk if that was true and as soon as he called them he said that we were incorrect and we did not have this credit. We had to go all they way down to the front desk after being in the restaurant for 2.5 hours to prove we were not liars! The front desk had confirmed we were correct and that whoever kept calling said that we said we had a 50% off credit. It seems there is a lack of attention within the staff and the manager just seemed angered that we had proven him wrong and he just threw the check down and said here is the $50 credit and the drinks are on the house. I don't know how the Hilton Corporation is even related to this hotel but I hope they start doing something about this atrocious service they have in this hotel. It was by far my worst stay in any hotel and I have been to several locations in Atlantic City, Las Vegas, and several other hotels throughout the country. I recommend going to other hotels in Isla Verde such as the Intercontinental which is literally next door, The Ritz-Carlton that actually has a 24 hour casino open, or the Caribe Hilton which is fairly brand new. The only good thing about any staff in this location are the front door staff who are very courteous and help you to find good locations. I suggest you not to waste your time since this location is not worth going to. I came in with such illusions which were immediately crushed the moment I stepped into this hotel. Puerto Rico is a beautiful island and so worth coming here just not in this hotel. Also for those who are coming for Club Brava, it is all high school students and its really not worth coming here especially if you came with expectations to dance spanish music. Go to either Old San Juan or La Placita in Santurce which is both a plaza for barhopping and dancing and open in Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jen C
Thank you for your review and for taking your time to share your comments. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and areas of opportunity. Please contact me at your earliest convenience, I would be most appreciative in any further detail so we can address immediately. Our ultimate goal is for you to be satisfied and certainly you were not, my sincere apologies to you. We are currently in the process of renovating many of our rooms to better cater to our guests' and provide you with the quality product that all have come to expect from us.

I look forward to hearing back from you, I remain at your service.
Susan.Wilkerson@hilton.com
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We just spent a week in Puerto Rico at the El San Juan (06/30-07/07). The resort is close to the airport in Isla Verde. The grounds are fantastic and the hotel is beautiful. The lobby is incredible. we stayed in the main tower and the rooms were big and bright, nicely done. The staff were hit an miss, not super friendly at checkin, but it was quick. The place is popular by locals and other vsiitors as the lobby has live misic 4 nights per week. When we walked in our first day, they had a DJ settling up for a Wedding reception in the lobby.. pretty loud. The bands overall were good, and the place gets hopping.
The pool area is very very nice, they do daily wrist bans to keep no guests out, and issue towels, you can get to the pool early and grab a chaise longe or the beach area also has plenty of lounges. Swim up pool bar was great, and the beach is great to walk or jog on.. very nice setting.
we actually met folks that were staying at the ritz who felt that this was as nice a place or nicer!
Now, as far as prices go.. i am not cheap by any means, but do not expect to spend more for a drink in PR than in vegas (ha ha) as an exampel, $18 buck for 2 mich ultras is insane!, almost all cocktails were $15 bucks. That said.. walk along the beach to the Ciao Mediterrian cafe (on the beach and part of the intercontential... more reasonably priced drinks and food...and the food was good! also go a little ffarther down by the public beach area and you cna find 3rd base sports bar and Al Alamerbra grill... very reasonably priced. off the beach and on the main street is Lupis and El Taquito.. good food and reasonably priced.
One last thing.. there are Walgreens around for all your shopping needs
The only inconvenience we had was when a movie crew took over the hotel for a few days to shoot a movie... the hotel was not really prepared, but did the right thing at check out and gave you a credit for the inconvenience.
Would I stay here again.. Yes, now that I know how and where to spend my money
Cheers

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Fred T
Bellingham, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

The only sign of "upscale" hotel would be the entrance/lobby area. The rooms are a pretty good size, but the restrooms are extremely small and uncomfortable. The furniture and/or finishings need replacement. Pools are nice, but beach area is filled with plastic waste after 6pm. Straws and cups are laying on the sand only inches from the ocean. I would have expected the hotel staff to clean up the beach, but apparently they will let the government paid workers to do that job early in the morning. Meantime, the fact that the ocean would pick lots of that waste did not seem to interest or concern them. Prices? Be prepared to spend a lot. A beer would cost $8 and a cocktail about $12. Employees don't seem to know how to smile (with few exceptions - of course). The filming of the "major" movie as the hotel put it was annoying - certain area were closed and to be able to access the beach one would have to follow strict pathways to not interfere with the movie crew - lots of crowds. Would have been nice if, at time of booking, the hotel would have let us know about the "major" movie inconvenience. The housekeeping did a good job in cleaning the room though. The lobby entertainment stands out if one is a salsa/merengue fan. No bachata, rumba, nor cha cha. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with my choice of stay this time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Laura1704
Ramsey, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Four Seasons prices with Motel 6 quality. Where do I start? The four hours it took to check in? The movie they were shooting which closed the lobby and front entrance for an entire day or the two days we couldn't use the "Olympic Size" (LOL) pool due to the set up for movie shoot. Really, they must have known about the movie shoot months in advance. Why didn't they inform the guest BEFORE THEY ARRIVED that certain area would be off limits during the week? Restaurants.......don't eat here unless absolutely necessary. First night after the 4 hour check in, we had no choice but to eat at Koco. There were about 3 other tables seated when we arrived. The waiters were totally unprofessional. When was the last time you had a waiter wearing a hat in an upscale restaurant. After waiting for over an hour for our food, there were 8 of us and all we had on the table was water, one of the servers came out and gave us two plates of salad, complements of the chef. Eight people and 2 of them were teenagers who hadn’t eaten in over12 hours. How long do you think it took to finish those 2 plates of salad? When we asked for bread, we were told "we don't serve bread....we're not that kind of a restaurant". What kind of a restaurant would put bread on the table......a good restaurant. After again asking where our food is, the waiter said it being plated now. Either the chef only had one hand or no plates. Another 15 minutes went by and a few of us canceled our orders. Once the remaining food finally came, it was cold and the steaks were raw. We asked for medium well. We send it back, and when it was returned, it was only partially cooked. Asking again why it took so long, we were told the chef had to go all the way to the other side of the hotel to get the steaks. ?????? You would think a restaurant that has steak on the menu would actually have steaks in the kitchen. But, what do I know?

Now, let’s get to the price of drinks. At the blue bar I asked for a shot of Patron. How about $15 for a shot. Figuring a bottle of the stuff is about $54, and there are about 25 shots to a bottle, well you figure the markup. During our day at the pool, which there was no waiter service, I went up to the bar for 3 bottles of water. They charged me $15! After they charged it to my room and I noticed the price, I told them I changed my mind and credit my account. Carmen, who was working the bar, gave me an attitude when I asked for a credit receipt. She said they don't issue them, but it would be credited to my account. I asked her to sign the back of my charge receipt, and she did so begrudging. That was the last time during our weeks stay we bought a drink from the hotel. I instead went inside to the sundries shop and bought 4 of the same bottles of water for $9.98. There's also a Pueblo supermarket with a liquor store about a block away.

I could go on and on about the guy on the beach trying to charge us $25 for an umbrella when it said on the hotel website they were only $10. The trash floating in the pools. I thought the chicken bone floating in the fantasy pool was a nice touch. Of course there were no hotel employees around the pool to keep it clean. The breakfast buffet that was overpriced and most of the items were cold. It actually made Denny's look like a 5 star restaurant. For a real nice brunch, try the Ritz Carlton down the block.

I am a Hilton Honors member, but staying at this place will make me think twice again before I stay at another Hilton Resort.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Bruce A
, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review on this web site. On behalf of the associates of the El San Juan Hotel & Casino, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your recent stay. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our product and services; and your feedback is very important in achieving this.
Under the recent filming of some of the scenes of an upcoming, major motion picture, the comfort and security of our guests was our main priority, allowing the filming to be during very late evening/ early morning, in efforts to ensure the least inconvenience for our guests.

I have also forwarded your comments to the ownership of KoKo, for their immediate attention.
Again my deepest apologies for what was less than an exemplary stay, I'd be happy to discuss with you, in further detail, at your convenience.
Warm Regards
Susan.Wilkerson@hilton.com
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Just arrived back from a 4 night stay. Everything was wonderful EXCEPT for two things. One...the bathroom shower was absolutely disgusting. Think of the grossest bathroom you saw at a party in college...and multiply times 2. I complained the first day (first time every complaining at a hotel) and they said it would be fixed. I never got a follow up call or anything; and obviously it was not fixed during my stay. I want to add that it's not the cleaning service fault (they actually did a wonderful job, and cleaned our sandfilled room perfectly everyday) it's just that the whole shower needed replaced. And....the hotel definitely knows this because during our stay I saw workers replacing other hotel room showers and toilets on our floor. I'm sorry but if you know it's gross...why still give it to someone to stay in!? Second...other than Josue that checked me in, a wonderful lady at concierge, the pool check in ladies, and one of the guide booking workers...everywhere else within the hotel the service was horrible. This includes other front desk staff and the other lady who booked tours/guides (sorry forgot her name). It amazes me that your forced to pay $200+ per night for the basic of rooms in a "resort" and get treated with such poor service and hospitality. It always seemed like we were burdening the person if we asked a question or had a request. Thumbs down!

Now the good things...the beach was absolutely wonderful. Calm crystal blue waters. Clean beach, and chairs and umbrellas were always available. Pool was cleanest in the morning so that's the best time to get in there. The area wasn't bad either with a few restaurants within walking distance. My recommendation: Mi Casita (in a strip mall) and Metropol (next to the Cockfighting rink....weird I know...but it's actually a fancy restaurant!). Also, the bus stops close to the hotel, so if you don't want to cab it you can use that.

If you decide to stay and don't want to pay Wi-Fi....the mexican bar next door (I think it's called Lupitos) has free wi-fi so eat/drink there and get wonderful internet service.

Sadly, while most of the hotel was wonderful...the state of the shower along with the just really knocks this review down 3 stars. I should add that upon checking in b/c I was a Hilton silver member they upgraded me to a better room. I don't want to think what the room (specifically the bathroom) would have been like.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SunnySkie2
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and sharing your comments. Our management team is constantly looking for ways to improve services and facility for all of our repeat guests, as well as future, potential guests. I thank you again, your feedback will assist in improving facility and services for your future enjoyment.

Best Regards

The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,540 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!