Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Good location to be able to walk to the beach, although I wish it was on the beach. I found the area to be very safe. My sister & I walked back to the hotel from the nightclub at El San Juan at 4 a.m. and felt safer than we do in the States. Breakfast was pretty good, free drinks in the early evening were a nice touch. The hotel has an Outback, a little pizza place, and some other restaurants. We had lunch there and it was very good (although pricey). There were not a lot of other restaurants nearby (except in the other hotels), so we went to Old San Juan for dinner most nights.The casino there was small but nice - I won a little on the slots.The rooms were a little dated but were good, it was nice to have a suite. Customer service in the hotel was excellent - everyone that I encountered was very nice and professional. The pool was very nice. The airport is very close by, but the hotel does a nice job of keeping it on the down low. Jacuzzi was big. I really enjoyed this hotel, and San Juan in general!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed October 27, 2010

We have just returned from 2 nights as a Hilton Honors Diamond Member. It is very close to the airport which was convenient and you do hear the planes when outside at the pool. We rented a car so we didn't check out accessibility to public transporation etc.

Room was typical Embassy Suite (ES) layout - but couch was not in good shape as previous reviewer noted. Safe did not have electronic combo - you needed to make a $85 security deposit to get the key from front desk - let's them know you have valuable stuff in your room doesn't it? Bathroom had some signs of aging - caulking smeared all along the floor, missing in parts of the shower enclosure and a few missing curtain hooks.

As a Diamond member, we are entitled to have certain amenities brought to our room which they apparently don't do before check in - they wait until 6:30 or 7 or in my case, when I go down and ask for them the second time because they weren't there by 8PM. At other ES, they are in the room when I check in since my room has been preassigned.

There is a casino in the lobby. We are used to noisy kids and people in the lobby having their voices echo, but the loud music that goes until midnight (or 1 on Friday-Sunday) is quite loud, even with the door to your room closed and is easily heard over the television.

Evening reception was ridiculous - the drinks were dispensed from a fountain tap and were so watered down, I don't think anyone had checked to see if the syrup needed to be refilled in some time. Breakfast was a bit disorganized as is often the case at ES. For some reason, the flow doesn't work and there are choke points in the process. Lots of tables in the lobby to use and they were kept clean which is something we don't usually see. The two guys who were cooking really hustled.

Pool was nice - lots of lounge chairs. Good sun exposure for most of the day. Bartender had to call to get instructions on how to charge my drink to the room. Note to food manager - That should have been covered a few times before leaving him outside alone.

All in all, we enjoyed our trip to San Juan, but will stay at another hotel on our return. We recommend you learn from our experiences and stay somewhere else. If I had been told that this particular ES was not at the high end of their quality range, I would have stayed elsehere. There are many other Hilton properties in Puerto Rico to choose from. We stay about 45 nights a year between Hilton & Hyatt groups.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Close the beaches, restaurants, clubs. Nice Hotel, but Puerto Rico was the real selling point. Had to walk about 2 blocks to get to the beach, but its is incredible. The hotel staff are just amazing and the hotel quality is good, clean and in good shape. No balcony and no exceptional view, but you don't need that. The pool was nice, happy hour was good, the breakfast was incredible. A little pricey, though. Great experience, never seen so many good looking women! A that includes the hotel staff.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The staff were great during check in and check out. The process went smoothly and was quick. The king suite was clean and comfortable. It was a little slippery around the pool so wear sandals with a good grip. There is a Pueblo grocery store nearby, just ask for directions. The Outback in the hotel had fast service, price was reasonable, and the food tasty.The cocktail hour was disappointing as it consisted of dried out popcorn and drinks with no alcohol! I guess they meant well. The breakfast was worth it as there was a lot of variety and the food was good.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel overnight Oct 9. We were going on a cruise the next day. When we first entered the room we did not realize how dirty it was. We dropped off our bags and went out to see a little of San Juan. However, as we sat and relaxed, we could see how dirty this room was. It appeared that this hotel room had not been painted for years - there was dirt everywhere. Because we were only staying the one night and it was not late we did not ask to be moved.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank BermudaLady
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The casino was VERY SLOW in customer service. The couch that made into a bed was awful...If you didn't have back problems before your night of slumber you certainly did the next morning.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2010

This is my second time staying at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde. I go to PR every year to visit family and alwasy have a couple of days before returning home to relax. No better place to do it that at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde. The place is just amazing, great hotel, great location, who cares about a 2 block walk to the beach, great pool great everything. The staff is the upmost profesionals and extremely helpful. I made use of the Lobby Bar, great drinks, and a very nice hostess in the afternoon. Bought lunch there too, no complaints. The lobby bar next to the Casino is also very nice and the bartender there tops. Room was clean everything worked, housekeeping was flawless, front desk amazing. I honestly cant say enough good things about this hotel. As far as I am concerned there is no better place to stay when I go to PR for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde
TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde
#3 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!