“Loved the Happy Hour”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Melbourne, Fl.
“Loved the Happy Hour”
Reviewed July 1, 2007

I picked this hotel based on reviews previously posted here. I LOVED the hotel. It is close to a very nice beach. There are many places to eat out.

The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The breakfast buffet was fantastic and I loved the special Pina Coladas at the nightly happy hour.

I requested and got a room on the upper floor and I asked for one in the wings and it was nice and quiet even when the lobby was very loud at night, Thanks prior reviewers for suggesting this it was very helpful.

The only complaint that I had was regarding the in house restaurant, OutBack Steakhouse. It had incredibly poor service. Very slow and the food did not come out as requested. My suggestion, stay at the hotel but skip the outback. There are plenty of other places to eat at.

• Liked — The breakfast and happy hour
  • Disliked — In house restaurant
  • Stayed June 2007
3 Thank HotwaterFrog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Atlanta,Ga
Reviewed June 14, 2007

The Hotel is ok, but during June all the High school kids have there Proms. One Prom would be ok, but 5 Prom in a row while staying directing under the DJ booth!!!!!!!! not fun. If you plan to stay at this hotel, make sure it the higher floors, like the top.

• Liked — It was a suite room
  • Disliked — The room was not very clean, I lthink its just the up keep of the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed May 20, 2007

My adult daughter and I stayed at the Embassy Suites in early May 2007 for one night - thank God it was only one night. The thing that I find ridiculous about the rate is they quote you one price but you will end up paying quite a bit more after they tack on all the various taxes and fees (Puerto Rico LOVES fees, fees for EVERYTHING!!!) even the valet parking added taxes and "fees" to their $16.00 per night (ended up costing $23.00 without a tip)
The bellhop sat there looking bored while we struggled with our bags, never offering to help two ladies upon check in. We just blew it off and went to our room. The room itself was fine, okay but we were tucked away at the very back of a wing away from any sort of view that would have made the stay a little nicer. We ordered room service (again, fees fees fees + a delivery charge) and the tray was still sitting outside our room the next day when we checked out. There were room service trays outside many of the doors throughout the hotel during our stay that never moved. It was gross really. Now for the best part, the CASINO staff is really rude, be prepared. We went in to the casino to waste some time and money after a great dinner at Ruth Chris Steak House (recommended highly) and we spent about $300 on slots in the course of several hours before we were offered a drink. I had asked 5 different waitress/wait staff people where I could BUY a drink and they each told me it was someone else's responsibility. So after 2 hours we finally got our drinks and proceeded to gamble. It was my 19 year old daughter's first opportunity to gamble (gambling/drinking age in Puerto Rico is 18) so she was excited and I wanted to take a photo of her pulling the slots...mind you, I had NO idea photography was not allowed in the Casino, there were NO signs anywhere stating this and since I don't normally hang out in casinos, I did not know this was typical for casinos. Well, I took out my pocket camera and started to take a photo of my daughter. A staff member (janitor) came up and smiled at us and said in extremely broken english (I could not begin to understand what he said at all) what I *thought* was "oh this is a good place for a picture, isn't it?" and I smiled and said "yes it is" he then started waving his hands around and SCREAMED inches from my face still unintelligible but enough for me to understand this time what he was trying to get across...."NO PICTURE, UNDERSTAND!!!!" I was stunned and embarrassed. There was NO need to scream at me, I did not understand what he had said originally and since he was smiling when he said it, how was I to know that he was indicating I was doing something wrong. I hate being made to feel stupid, especially by the casino janitor in broken english. This obviously ruined our night. We went to the Hotel Manager and were told there was nothing he could do about it since it happened in the Casino. We went to see the Casino Manager and were told to wait for him, that he was busy. We waited (ignored) for over 40 minutes before we decided to just forget it. I can't believe we were treated so badly and paid all that money to Embassy Suites to get that sort of treatment. Just be aware if you go here, you are going to spend a bundle and may get treated like a chump!!

• Liked — Room was comfortable and clean
  • Disliked — Rude staff and room service trays left all over outside the rooms
4 Thank Didi R
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Myself and three girlfriends stayed at the Embassy Suites - San Juan May 3rd through May 7th. Visiting Puerto Rico was a first for all of us, so that is why we chose to vacation in PR. And we all agree it was a great choice.

The Embassy Suites worked out perfect for us. We booked 2 suites, so each of us had our own bed and only had to share a bathroom with one other person instead of 3 other people. Well worth the extra money spent. The separate living room area worked out perfect for getting ready for dinner and relaxing. The bedroom was very spacious and comfortable.

The complimentary breakfasts were fine. Some food items better than others, but you can't really complain when you don't have to leave the hotel and it is included with your room. The nightly manager's cocktail party was definitely worth visiting each night. They gave you 2 drinks each time you went up and the lines moved pretty quickly. The bartenders were friendly and gave heavy pours! Always a huge plus! One thing we did learn is when ordering a hamburger from the Atrium Restaurant, make sure you order it well not medium well because ours was still raw.

The pool area was great. While we were there hardly anyone used the pool, so you always had your choice of spots to lay in the sun by the pool. Although we never actually saw the pool bar open, which would have been a nice to have been able to order a cool beverage by the pool, but we survived without them.

The beach is a quick 5 minute walk from the hotel. And the majority of the restaurants and bars are very close as well. We walked at night to and from the hotel and never felt unsafe in the area. (I don't condone walking around at night, because crime still does happen, but we never felt nervous.)

Some of the best bars we visited were the lounges and nightclub at the El San Juan Hotel. Very fun and lively. Definitely check this place out and dress accordingly. Pretty upscale but beautiful, especially the bordello salon. Club Liquid at the Beach & Water Club Hotel was a nice place as well. It is on the rooftop. Very pretty skyline and beach view.

We visited Old San Juan which was incredibly beautiful. We went one afternoon there. We all wish would have been able to spend more time exploring this area. The restaurants and bars looked like a lot of fun.

I definitely come back to the Puerto Rico and the Embassy Suites. Wonderful vacation!!

• Liked — Nightly Manager's Cocktail Party and the pool
  • Disliked — Pool Bar was never open during the day.
2 Thank tpfeeney
staten island nick
Reviewed May 17, 2007

loved the embasyy nick staten island my wife and i stayed ath the embassy after our cruise may 5th-may 7th the hotel is great. the staff is very accomodatng the grounds are beautiful. it is only 2 short blocks to the beach. they have a wonderful free breakfast every morning. at night from 5.30-7.30 pm a managers cocktail party in the lobby. we really enjoyed our stay and will be returning.

• Liked — everything it was great
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 14, 2007

The hotel is lovely and the rooms are very clean. It is in a great location and easy to walk to the beach and restaurants. The breakfast leaves some to be desired and ends far too early for people who are on vacation. The staff members are friendly once you can get their attention. They definitely could be more attentive. My largest gripe is that they charge a 9% fee upon check-out for internet usage and pool toys! Their website mentions this fee but since I booked directly through the hotel I assumed that it was included in my bill. I have never heard of a hotel charging such a high fee after the fact. I am just upset that they did not mention this when I called and they are so sneaky about adding it at the end.

• Liked — Perfect location!
  • Disliked — In general the service leaves something to be desired.
1 Thank megsies24
chicago
Reviewed May 2, 2007

My mother, husband & I and our four children (6 and under) stayed at this fantastic hotel. It is pricey but the stay was worth it. The beach and a lot of restaurants & shops are in walking distance. The breakfast buffet was excellent. They even make you an omelet if you want. This hotel does get full so at times it was difficult to find seating. In the afternoons, they provide complimentary drinks and snacks. We don't drink alcohol but they provided non-alcoholic piña-coladas and other fruit drinks which we all enjoyed. The hotel lobby is beautiful and the staff very attentive. We were there for two weeks and a few minimal things came up but once we addressed the staff everything was taken care of quickly. The pool is fantastic. They have a waddling pool for the little ones as well. Room service was good (plentiful and hot). My husband did try the Steakhouse in the hotel with some friends and he states the service and food were good. A negative note is that the washing machines and dryers weren't all working. Four machines were working out of 8 or 10. Several times I tried to use the machines and it didn't wash or dry well (left everything unclean/ soaking wet). For a hotel so large they should keep up with its maintenance. They did refund the money we lost. On the weekends they have live music, which is nice but when you are trying to get your toddlers and newborn to sleep it doesn't help at all. Next time we will request a higher floor level and to have a room in one of the inner hallways. We will most definitely return to stay here again. It has been the best hotel experience, in all of our visits to PR.

Stayed August 2006
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!