“Loud during Prom Week in June!!!!!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed June 14, 2007

The Hotel is ok, but during June all the High school kids have there Proms. One Prom would be ok, but 5 Prom in a row while staying directing under the DJ booth!!!!!!!! not fun. If you plan to stay at this hotel, make sure it the higher floors, like the top.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed May 20, 2007

My adult daughter and I stayed at the Embassy Suites in early May 2007 for one night - thank God it was only one night. The thing that I find ridiculous about the rate is they quote you one price but you will end up paying quite a bit more after they tack on all the various taxes and fees (Puerto Rico LOVES fees, fees for EVERYTHING!!!) even the valet parking added taxes and "fees" to their $16.00 per night (ended up costing $23.00 without a tip)
The bellhop sat there looking bored while we struggled with our bags, never offering to help two ladies upon check in. We just blew it off and went to our room. The room itself was fine, okay but we were tucked away at the very back of a wing away from any sort of view that would have made the stay a little nicer. We ordered room service (again, fees fees fees + a delivery charge) and the tray was still sitting outside our room the next day when we checked out. There were room service trays outside many of the doors throughout the hotel during our stay that never moved. It was gross really. Now for the best part, the CASINO staff is really rude, be prepared. We went in to the casino to waste some time and money after a great dinner at Ruth Chris Steak House (recommended highly) and we spent about $300 on slots in the course of several hours before we were offered a drink. I had asked 5 different waitress/wait staff people where I could BUY a drink and they each told me it was someone else's responsibility. So after 2 hours we finally got our drinks and proceeded to gamble. It was my 19 year old daughter's first opportunity to gamble (gambling/drinking age in Puerto Rico is 18) so she was excited and I wanted to take a photo of her pulling the slots...mind you, I had NO idea photography was not allowed in the Casino, there were NO signs anywhere stating this and since I don't normally hang out in casinos, I did not know this was typical for casinos. Well, I took out my pocket camera and started to take a photo of my daughter. A staff member (janitor) came up and smiled at us and said in extremely broken english (I could not begin to understand what he said at all) what I *thought* was "oh this is a good place for a picture, isn't it?" and I smiled and said "yes it is" he then started waving his hands around and SCREAMED inches from my face still unintelligible but enough for me to understand this time what he was trying to get across...."NO PICTURE, UNDERSTAND!!!!" I was stunned and embarrassed. There was NO need to scream at me, I did not understand what he had said originally and since he was smiling when he said it, how was I to know that he was indicating I was doing something wrong. I hate being made to feel stupid, especially by the casino janitor in broken english. This obviously ruined our night. We went to the Hotel Manager and were told there was nothing he could do about it since it happened in the Casino. We went to see the Casino Manager and were told to wait for him, that he was busy. We waited (ignored) for over 40 minutes before we decided to just forget it. I can't believe we were treated so badly and paid all that money to Embassy Suites to get that sort of treatment. Just be aware if you go here, you are going to spend a bundle and may get treated like a chump!!

4  Thank Didi R
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Myself and three girlfriends stayed at the Embassy Suites - San Juan May 3rd through May 7th. Visiting Puerto Rico was a first for all of us, so that is why we chose to vacation in PR. And we all agree it was a great choice.

The Embassy Suites worked out perfect for us. We booked 2 suites, so each of us had our own bed and only had to share a bathroom with one other person instead of 3 other people. Well worth the extra money spent. The separate living room area worked out perfect for getting ready for dinner and relaxing. The bedroom was very spacious and comfortable.

The complimentary breakfasts were fine. Some food items better than others, but you can't really complain when you don't have to leave the hotel and it is included with your room. The nightly manager's cocktail party was definitely worth visiting each night. They gave you 2 drinks each time you went up and the lines moved pretty quickly. The bartenders were friendly and gave heavy pours! Always a huge plus! One thing we did learn is when ordering a hamburger from the Atrium Restaurant, make sure you order it well not medium well because ours was still raw.

The pool area was great. While we were there hardly anyone used the pool, so you always had your choice of spots to lay in the sun by the pool. Although we never actually saw the pool bar open, which would have been a nice to have been able to order a cool beverage by the pool, but we survived without them.

The beach is a quick 5 minute walk from the hotel. And the majority of the restaurants and bars are very close as well. We walked at night to and from the hotel and never felt unsafe in the area. (I don't condone walking around at night, because crime still does happen, but we never felt nervous.)

Some of the best bars we visited were the lounges and nightclub at the El San Juan Hotel. Very fun and lively. Definitely check this place out and dress accordingly. Pretty upscale but beautiful, especially the bordello salon. Club Liquid at the Beach & Water Club Hotel was a nice place as well. It is on the rooftop. Very pretty skyline and beach view.

We visited Old San Juan which was incredibly beautiful. We went one afternoon there. We all wish would have been able to spend more time exploring this area. The restaurants and bars looked like a lot of fun.

I definitely come back to the Puerto Rico and the Embassy Suites. Wonderful vacation!!

2  Thank tpfeeney
Reviewed May 17, 2007

loved the embasyy nick staten island my wife and i stayed ath the embassy after our cruise may 5th-may 7th the hotel is great. the staff is very accomodatng the grounds are beautiful. it is only 2 short blocks to the beach. they have a wonderful free breakfast every morning. at night from 5.30-7.30 pm a managers cocktail party in the lobby. we really enjoyed our stay and will be returning.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2007

The hotel is lovely and the rooms are very clean. It is in a great location and easy to walk to the beach and restaurants. The breakfast leaves some to be desired and ends far too early for people who are on vacation. The staff members are friendly once you can get their attention. They definitely could be more attentive. My largest gripe is that they charge a 9% fee upon check-out for internet usage and pool toys! Their website mentions this fee but since I booked directly through the hotel I assumed that it was included in my bill. I have never heard of a hotel charging such a high fee after the fact. I am just upset that they did not mention this when I called and they are so sneaky about adding it at the end.

1  Thank megsies24
Reviewed May 2, 2007

My mother, husband & I and our four children (6 and under) stayed at this fantastic hotel. It is pricey but the stay was worth it. The beach and a lot of restaurants & shops are in walking distance. The breakfast buffet was excellent. They even make you an omelet if you want. This hotel does get full so at times it was difficult to find seating. In the afternoons, they provide complimentary drinks and snacks. We don't drink alcohol but they provided non-alcoholic piña-coladas and other fruit drinks which we all enjoyed. The hotel lobby is beautiful and the staff very attentive. We were there for two weeks and a few minimal things came up but once we addressed the staff everything was taken care of quickly. The pool is fantastic. They have a waddling pool for the little ones as well. Room service was good (plentiful and hot). My husband did try the Steakhouse in the hotel with some friends and he states the service and food were good. A negative note is that the washing machines and dryers weren't all working. Four machines were working out of 8 or 10. Several times I tried to use the machines and it didn't wash or dry well (left everything unclean/ soaking wet). For a hotel so large they should keep up with its maintenance. They did refund the money we lost. On the weekends they have live music, which is nice but when you are trying to get your toddlers and newborn to sleep it doesn't help at all. Next time we will request a higher floor level and to have a room in one of the inner hallways. We will most definitely return to stay here again. It has been the best hotel experience, in all of our visits to PR.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank ChicagoPalomas
Reviewed April 20, 2007

This was our second stay at this hotel. We had a very nice room which overlooked the pool. However, I think this will probably be our last stay at this property and in San Juan in general.

Hotel: The breakfast, which was so fabulous last year, has taken a step back. They used to make omelettes in omelette pans and they were great. Now, they make them on the grill, using cylinders to keep them round. Well, I ordered two, and each time the outside of the omelette came out overcooked and the inside was raw. Additionally, it was amazing how many times the cooks made mistakes as to who had ordered which omelette. It was like they had never worked at this job before. Also, the lines were very long each and every morning.

The cocktail reception in the evening, always a nice plus, has also taken a step back. No longer will they make blender drinks, as in the past. Additionally, like the breakfast, the lines are very long.

The pool is very nice. However, the surface outside the pool is inexplicably slippery and dangerous. I mean, who would construct a pool like that? Time and time again, I saw people, especially little children, fall. Some toddlers even fell back, banging their heads. If you have little children, you must stay on top of them and insure they don't run (very difficult to do with kids). I'd be willing to bet, sadly, that this pool has seen its share of serious accidents. Also, there is no lifeguard, which is a shame.

The location of the hotel is not great, but we knew that going in. It is about a ten minute walk to the beach (straight ahead). On the way to the beach is "mall" on Avenue Isle Verde. Just be careful, when walking with small children, of the metal spikes that line the sidewalk and the entrance to the parking lot to the mall (another construction decision that I fail to understand).

Staff: This is the most perplexing part of this hotel and of Puerto Rican people in general. I don't know if it's an aloofness, language miscommunication, or intelligence issue. But, the service was not very attentive, and mistakes and misinformation permeated our stay. Examples:

Me: "Do you have to pay for children on the bus?"

Front Desk: "I don't know, I don't have any children;" and

Me: "What have you heard about the Asian restaurant next door in the Holiday Inn?"

Front Desk: "I have never eaten there;" and

Me: "What time does the pool bar close (question asked at 3:40 pm)?"

Pool Bar Bartender taking my order: "3 pm;" and

Me: "How long does it take to get to the Condado using the bus (a 3 mile trip)?"

Bellhop: "Over one hour."

Me: "But, it's such a short trip."

Bellhop: "The bus makes lots of stops."

There are many more examples. A waitress in the Outback Steakhouse (inside the hotel) was rude and incompetent. She brought the wrong order, took 20 minutes to bring our dessert, and made us wait another 20 minutes to get the check. All of this without an apology.

Also, the service at the fast food restaurants in the mall is not only very slow (1/2 hour just to get some chicken at Church's), but also inept. The orders there and everywhere were wrong every time.

The casino staff was also not very pleasant and unprofessional. A blackjack dealer misdealt a hand and the Pit Boss just got rid of the cards instead of making things right. No "sorry" or even an acknowledgment that the players were wronged. Same situation at El San Juan Hotel. The blackjack table decides to change the minimum from $10 to $25. So what do they do? Grandfather the players already gambling? Of course not. Just kick everyone off of the table!

Be aware, that even though English may be an official language of the territory, and many service people allegedly "speak and understand English," Spanish is what's spoken in Puerto Rico. Learn some Spanish before you go.

Misc. Notes: There is an excellent supermarket called Pueblo, just a short walk from the hotel. When leaving the hotel, make a sharp right and walk along the highway exit and then make a left at the corner. Pueblo is great for stocking your fridge with drinks, lunch foods, and snacks. Why pay the high prices of the hotel? Get a small, soft cooler and you will be able to keep your drinks cold while at the pool or beach.

The Asian restaurant next door at the Holiday Inn is excellent. It's a bit pricey, but the food is great and the service, unlike everywhere else, was outstanding. Also, Metropol, for authentic Puerto Rican and Cuban food, is nice. It has a kid's menu, is reasonable, and you eat among locals, which is great. While nothing fancy, it is worth a visit. Make a right on Avenue Isle Verde and walk down about 1/2 mile, just past the cock fighting arena.

Conclusion: As I stated earlier, this may be our last trip to San Juan. It is an easy flight and inexpensive, which makes it attractive. But, we were in search for beauty. I've been told that Puerto Rico has some beautiful beaches. Well, those beaches do not exist in San Juan. The beach on the Condado is not nice. Isle Verde Beach, which many guidebooks say is beautiful, is not that at all. Isle Verde beach has lots of pollution in its sands. When we were there, there was an influx of seaweed. While I'm sure the seaweed isn't always present, the debris from the sand doesn't go away. The beach is mediocre because of the debris. I'm hoping that in other parts of Puerto Rico, Rincon for example, the beaches are as they are pictured and described in the guidebooks. That is why, if I come back to Puerto Rico, while I may fly into San Juan, I'm renting a car and searching for some real beauty, because the beauty is not in San Juan.

Stayed: April 2007
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#18 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!