“Great hotel, loved it!”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great hotel, loved it!”
Reviewed February 2, 2006

After reading some of the other reviews, I hesitated making my reservation. However, a friend of mine told me that he & his wife had stayed there, and enjoyed it very much. I went ahead and made my reservations for 8 days. I have to say that we were very pleased. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was always clean and comfortable. The breakfast and manager's reception were excellent. The hotel is located in a good area with plenty of places to eat. My favorite place was "Mi Casita", with reasonable prices and excellent food (one block from the hotel).

We travel to Ponce, El Yunque, Old San Juan and the Arecibo area by rental car (CharlieCars.com which is a block and a half from the hotel is very reasonable). All of these places were easy to get to from the hotel, since the entrance to to freeway is next to the parking ramp.

Isle Verde is beautiful, a great place to enjoy the beach. Safety is not an issue near the hotel or at the beach.

• Stayed February 2006
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Reviewed January 27, 2006

We stayed at the Embassy Suites San Juan on Jan 12 to Jan 16th. Overall we really enjoyed our stay, and felt we got more than our money's worth. Here are some of the tips I have for anyone considering a stay here:

Location in regards to the beach: The location is the tradeoff for the lower price you pay. It is two block to the beach. This is not bad, even for our family traveling with two younger children. We got quite good at packing our bags full so that we didn't forget anything and have to trek back to the hotel. They do rent lounge chairs and umbrellas at the Isla Verde/Carolina beach - $4 for chairs and $11 for umbrellas if I recall correctly. Just make sure to bring towels down to the beach with you (we snagged towels from the pool area and then returned them at the end of the day)

The pool: We never heard any traffic from the road that ran behind the pool. We also sat out at the pool each night with our drinks and the traffic was never loud, nor did we have any trouble with the airport noise. Only negative was that the hot tub was broken while we were there. It was hot but no bubbles.

Rooms: The key here is to know that some of the rooms are renovated and some are not. Obviously the renovated rooms are better. While we were there the hotel had finished the 7th and 8th floors and were working on the 6th. My suggestion is to ask for the highest floor possible. Also, we never had any problem with airplane noise in our room, nor with the music from the lobby. Again, location may be the key. We were on the 8th floor facing downtown/Old San Juan (overlooking the parking ramp).

Breakfast and Manager's Reception: To us, these were the two best reasons to stay at this hotel. The breafast is excellent. They had make to order eggs (fried, omelets, etc), sausage, bacon, fruit, cereal, juice - you name it - and it is free. However, the best deal is the Manager's Reception each evening. From 5:30 to 7:30 they offer free drinks and snacks. You can get two drinks per person at a time, and you can return as many times as you want. The snacks were tortilla chips and salsa, pretzels, and popcorn. I especially enjoyed the strawberry daiquiris!

Restaurants: We tried the Outback Steakhouse in the hotel and it was as good as any Outback we've ever eaten at. Yes, the line can be long but if you tell the hostess you are staying at the hotel they usually seat you immediately. We ate there on both a Thursay and a Saturday night and did not wait either night to be seated. Make sure to bring in one of your free drink from the Managers Reception (they always let us do this) and save the money on drinks. The location of the hotel is great as far as local restaurants go. There is just about every fast food chain within two blocks (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Wendys) We also tried Metropol and had the best dinner of our stay, and it only average $15 per person without drinks. There is also a large Peublo grocery store one block away that has all the necessities. Take advantage and stock the room fridge with soda and water - prices at the grocery store seemed to be about the same as mainland groceries.

Taxis: We did not rent a car and instead took taxis everywhere. It was about $12 each way for 4 of us to get to and from the airport. It was about $22 each way to get to get to Old San Juan.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would stay here again. We felt that for the price it was an excellent deal.

35 Thank smartypants01
Fairlawn,nj
Reviewed January 26, 2006

My family stayed here on Jan 25, 2005. It's funny reading the previous reviews because we had a very different impression of the hotel. I found it to be clean, comfortable and quiet. Yes, there is maintenance being done, but the workers are very careful and warn you if you are approaching a freshly painted area.
The beds are fine, the sofa bed is a bit uncomfortable and for one night was acceptable.
The breakfasts were fine. Great coffee. The nightly manager party was fun with fruity drinks, and standard junk food of chips, pretzels, party mix and popcorn.
The pool was lovely, I can't figure out what people were complaining about. I didn't see any missing tiles and I made a point of searching it out. One traveler said the pool area looked like a hurricane hit it. I can't figure that out either it was simply beautiful.
Yes, you can hear the planes either taking off or landing depending on the direction of the wind. After awhile you get use to the sound and you don't notice the aircraft noise. The sounds of the kids screaming and yelling drown the noise out. I don't mind the sound of the kids, I simply put on my headphones and listen to music. It's not as bad as previous reviews write and I consider myself very sensitive to unnecessary noise.
The beach is exactly 3 blocks away. One long block and two short. If you have very young kids, this might pose a logistical problem because you need to carry your towels/junk and hold onto kids. I have kids 14, 12,9, so it was no problem. Yes,one of the streets is a highly trafficed street and there is no traffic light. But if you enter the crosswalk the cars did stop for us. No, I wouldn't let the kids do this by themselves. I just don't trust them or the drivers. We walked to the beach and went banana boating which can be found in front of the ESJ hotel. At the same time other kids are on the beach and my kids made instant friends. This worked out well for us. The beach is public and you can rent the chairs for $3-$4 per chair depending where you stop. In front of the ESJ hotel the chairs are $3.
This place is good for a short stay and the hotel is designed for business travelers. As we saw mostly flight attendants and business people. If you like the hustle and bustle of San Juan this a decent place. If you are looking for a peaceful surrounding and limited night life you should stay a resort such as the Hyatt in Dorado.
The hotel staff is very accomodating and helpful.

• Stayed January 2005
20 Thank FairlawnTravelMom
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2006

My boyfriend and I visited San Juan from july 23 through july 30. We had a wonderful time there! The pool was smaller than I had expected, and in the morning it gets a bit crowded. But nonetheless, it was still nice. The manager's reception was decent (they should have varied the snacks a bit) and the continental breakfast was also nice (they should have varied that one too.) The bar downstairs is on the small side, but we never had any trouble ordering drinks. The bartenders were so friendly and very genrous with their alcohol. I always managed to get a buzz on after a drink or two. =) But there are other bars and hotels nearby, so you can frequent those hotel bars too.

The service was also excellent. Front desk, gift shop, room service, everyone. We especially liked the doorman who always entertained us while we were waiting for our cab. What I also thought was sweet was how he always remembered us and asked us how we enjoyed the trip or restaurant he recommended for us.

Downside of the hotel was its location. The highway is a bit too close by the pool and traffic from the highway is loud when you're in the pool. But you can always visit the pools of other hotels and enjoy a day of tanning there. The beach is also pretty nearby, altho the walk to the beach might be somewhat of a pain It's only about 3~4 blocks but there's a busy street to cross before you get to the beach.

Another thing some people might find inconvenient is the small casino. But if you're not in it for the gambling, that shouldnt be a problem. Dont forget to ask for the free grilled turkey and cheese sandwich at the casino! Whenever my boyfriend and I got hungry around 3 or 4 am, we'd walk over to the casino and ask for the free sandwiches. =)

You should also go to some nearby restaurants. The raw oyster bar has a 2/1 special on drinks and shrimps and oysters on certain nights, so dont forget to visit there. There's also a mall that's about a 10 minute cab ride from the hotel. If you feel like being more cultural, take the bus into old san juan and look at the beautiful buildings and shop the little shops. There's always some sort of live music concert going on. And if you can, DO visit the El Yunque rainforest. My boyfriend and I climbed all the way to the top which took us about 4 hours to complete. (great exercise) But go early cause it gets dark. (My boyfriend and I almost got lost while on our way down.)

Overall, my experience with Embassy Suites was fabulous! Go with a happy,relaxed mind and dont let the little things get to you (traffic by pool, small bar, small casino.) Just enjoy yourselves and have a great time!

• Stayed July 2005
23 Thank tinaarie
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed January 21, 2006

We thought the hotel looked pretty (atrium courtyard and pool areas)and the happy hour was fun, breakfast good.
However, when we arrived they were doing some kind of work on the tile in the lobby, with jack-hammering noise that was awful. It started up again the next morning early too.
We'd reserved a room with a king sized bed, non-smoking, and were told that's what we were being sent to, but after tipping the bell-boy, we discovered we'd been deposited at a room with 2 double beds instead. We called and were told we could come back in an hour and a half & a room would be ready. When we got back they had us in a room that had just had new carpet installed that day, and boy did it stink! I felt like I could hardly breathe, and had to prop our door open. Luckily, the next day the smell had pretty much gone. But there were no windows you could open to remove the smell. And to make matters worse, the thermostat was not adjustable. It was 65 degrees in the room when we got there (a shock after the delightful 78-81 degrees approximently of outdoors), and when we tried to jack it up to 76 degrees (by lowering the air conditioning) it would not budge above 71 degrees. I had to wear a sweater in my room! They sent an engineer but he couldn't fix it. Our phones didn't work either, but he was able to fix one of the two. It was nice having a safe in the room, but you have to go downstairs & ask for a key, rather than just assigning a combination like some.... And if you forget to turn it in when you check out, it costs you $85. Has a small refrigerator, coffee maker & microwave. Only coffee cups though, no other dishes. The noise at night from the band is loud, even as late as midnight or after. The band did play nice music though, but it would be hard with people trying to get their kids to sleep! The sofabed was the lumpiest & most uncomfortable one my son has ever slept on, and he has slept on many. Our bed was fine, but the spread smelled (or was it the drapes nearby) like stale cigarettes, even though it was a "nonsmoking" room. It was a nice beach about 2 blocks away, but not good for snorkeling or sailing: too rough of water. The Holiday Inn next door rented us a (Dollar Rent a Car) car for $38/day plus gas, but is only open something like 8 or 9 to 5pm, & no one else can give you any info. The map they give you is painfully inadequate for finding your way to El Yunque rain forest. Many turnoffs say an intersection is coming up, but when you get there, it's labeled with a different highway number. Or no number. And there are lots of highways that you won't even find on the map! It's really a challenge. Took over an hour to get to & from the rainforest due to minor getting lost episodes. It's worth going to however. The water at the falls was supposedly cold but people were still going in. Holiday Inn has a nice restaurant or two next door,and no waiting. The Outback in the Embassy Suites was good, but more money and a longer wait by far. There was a pool bar, but no one seemed to man it so it wasn't used. We had to leave to catch a plane at 5:30am but were able to grab a piece of fruit and yoghurts to take with us for breakfast despite them not yet being open for breakfast. Had muffins or something available too. Bring a nightlight because the bathroom is dark at night. I'd reserved a room for $305 per night online, but at checkout they were charging me $359, so I had to try to go online in the business center to print out my confirmation to prove my rate. They ended up honoring the $305. I think next time I might try the Hampton Inn & Suites a couple of blocks further down the street for only $215 or $220 instead for the quieter atmosphere. I saw the outside & it looked better than its pictures, but didn't get to see the pool or anything. It had a buffet breakfast included (Embassy had same but with cook-to-order so you could order pancakes or eggs over easy)and Hampton didn't have a happy hour I don't think. But a lot cheaper, and people seem to review it well. Embassy's casino seemed a bit dreary. When you walk into the Embassy you are hit with cold air and a stale cigaretty smell. Ugh. Holiday Inn is even colder to walk into! Incredibly cold!!! The bus for 75 cents each requires quarters, not a $1 bill and 2 quarters for 2 people, to get to Old Town San Juan. It's the last stop, by the way, at the bus terminal, where you get off. El Morro is very cool to explore, and the city itself is clean and interesting architecture. The free trolleys loop around. You press a yellow bar between the windows to signal you want to stop. No where to rent small sailboats in the whole area!

16 Thank PRB-SantaBarbara
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2006

We stayed here one night last Jan 3rd. The service was great, staff was friendly and very helpful. Food at the Grill restaurant was very good. There is an Outback restaurant on site,and also a casino. The room was clean and comfortable, though the carpet had few stains. Not at the beach, but not far either, like a 15 minutes walk. We could stay here again.

4 Thank laislapr
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 27, 2005

This is my 4th stay at this hotel since I travel to San Juan for business and I have enjoyed all of my visits. The staff is very courteous, clean rooms, great drinks, decent food, live entertainment (which is really great), close to the beach (about 2 1/2 blocks), and close to many restaurants. It's family friendly also. I am very picky about where I stay and for me to keep coming back it has be pretty good. They also have a business center (2 pcs, 2 printers, and a copy machine) that is for guest use and it is free. Wireless internet access is available for a charge of 9.95 a night.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#20 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!