“one bad apple messed up the rest of the basket!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
new york
“one bad apple messed up the rest of the basket!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

This hotel is very pretty,clean and kid friendly. Staff were very pleasant except for one person who is a manager and needs classes on customer service she was very rude and not friendly at all. any time you mentioned her ,everyone already new whom you were speaking of her name is Irene Capo.....she is the worst manger i ever met while staying at a hotel....i would not stay at the embassy suite again she does not make you feel welcomed at all.....i would like to thank desk staff Melvin Rodriguez and Blanca they did a excellent job and deserve management....also Rafael (bar tender) very pleasant and welcoming....if you looking for a family hotel this is for you..if you looking to stay away from a kid environment this is not for you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GlMEmbassy, GM at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 19, 2009
Dear Prissy,

We thank you for answering the review, with such great comments on our property. Our staff is happy to serve and delight you with their friendliness. We hope to be at your service in the near future. Once again thank you.

Luis G.M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
vacawkids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

I traveled with my two daughters (5 and 7) we stayed in a one bedroom suite. My parents traveled with us as well and had their own suite. When we arrived at the hotel an hour before check in, our room wasn't ready but they hotel staff offered to hold our luggage and gave us passes to the pool and bar. When the suites were ready they were clean and a good size for us. We stayed for a week and I have to say that having a comp breakfast and happy hour makes it so much easier when you are traveling with kids. The happy hour is for the entire family because they serve non-alcoholic drinks aswell and snacks. We had family come and visit us at the hotel and they were able to use the pool with us. One night, we had a family member as a guest in our room who slept on the sofa bed and the staff brought up blankets and pillows, no questions asked and no charge for the additional one night guest. My children and parents (who are elderly) were beyond pleased with service from the staff. The hotel is walking distance from the beach, a supermarktet and restaurants near by...We'll definetly stay there again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank vacawkids
GlMEmbassy, GM at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
Dear Mrs.Vacawkids

We thank you for your review on our property, it's a pleasure to have you staying with us. At Embassy Suites is very important to us that our guest and family members have a great time. We will be waiting for your next visit. This is your home away from home.

Nueva Gorgona, Panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

The hotel has everything except location - great, comfortable suite-style rooms, beautiful pool, helpful staff, decent food. Parking is expensive and it is a long walk to get to other restaurants. It is remarkably quiet considering its proximity to the airport. Good full-breakfast with made-to-order omelets.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dextertalk
Dear Dextertalk,

Thank you for answering the review. Our property has sound proof windows so you can rest although your near the airport. Our staff is always eager to help and with a friendly smile to make you feel at home. We understand you may find the parking a little expensive, but our rate is lower than other parkings in the area. We really appreciate your visit, please visit us for your next stay.

Luis GM
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

First all before anything....the service I got from the employees was absolutely superb. The front desk clerk was extremely helpful. I had a ton of questions and she did not get annoyed or short with me. She was very helpful. The room was huge and very clean. The amenities in the bathroom was great. I wish they had flat screen tv's in the room, but a tube tv was fine. When I checked out I left my GPS in the room. So right after I checked out i went back upstairs to retrieve my GPS and the housekeeper had it ready for me wrapped up in a plastic bag. I was so impressed that she actually held it. I've stayed in rooms where housekeeping or someone or something has stolen my products. Much Much Kudos to Embassy Suites San Juan! (Also....it's a straight, literally straight shot to the beach. And a FREE very good and big breakfast. And FREE drinks and snacks at happy hour.) Perfecto!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank faculty1919
Dear Faculty 1919,

Thank you for answering the review.For your convenience next time you come we have installed plasma tvs and we're improving the breakfast area to avoid the big lines our guest have reported. At Embassy Suites our guest come first.
sherlock04
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

I booked my stay with Embassy Suites more than three weeks in advance. Yet when I landed there from the San Juan airport at 10:30 pm at night after a 12 hour journey from California with a little child, they had no rooms for us. They had overbooked us!!

They have my phone number, email and this was supposed to be a non refundable booking. Absolutely disgusting. The did offer me a complementary stay at another hotel nearby and I had to settle for it. As it was just to sleep for the night I took that. I shudder to think what if I was staying for more than one night. They would have spoiled my vacation. Totally Unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank sherlock04
Dear Sherlock 04,

We thank you for answering the review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered while staying with us. We ask you to give us a second opportunity to prove we are dedicate to service and could be your home away from home. Again thank you and best wishes.

Luis Arellano G.M
florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

Stayed four nights at this hotel. The location is great, walking distance from the beach. Room was just as expected, nice and clean. However, there was a convention going on and the hotel looked like a circus. Breakfast time was crazy, too many people fighting for food. We then decided to transfer to the El San Juan Hotel & Casino for a more relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GlMEmbassy, Gm at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
Dear Linjen 02

Thank you for answering the review it is my pleasure to inform to you, that we're making changes at our breakfast area in order to avoid the lines and give our guest the best service. We love to listen and please our guest in anyway possible. Hope to serve you in the near future.

Fishers, IN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

My parents and I stayed at the Embassy Suites in San Juan for three nights (June 10-12, 2009). We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel (about a 5-minute ride; cost right around $15). Check-in was friendly and efficient; we were in suite 717. The way the hotel is set up, there’s a group of three glass elevators near the entrance / front desk, and one lone glass elevator on the other side of the atrium. All of the elevators move very quickly and smoothly, so there’s never a long wait for an elevator, regardless of which elevator bank you use. Our suite was right next to the single elevator, but there was never any elevator noise audible in the suite, nor was there any airplane noise even though the hotel is right by the airport, nor was there any traffic noise even though the hotel is right by two busy highways. The only noise we heard came from the noisy guests next door to us, but if they had been talking at a normal volume (i.e. if their kids hadn’t been screaming), we probably wouldn’t have been able to hear them at all.

Upon entering the room, we were a bit disappointed in how small it was. When the three of us travel, we’re used to staying in 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suites, but since we were only staying 3 nights, and 2-bedroom suites were so much more expensive than 1-bedrooms at this hotel, we decided we could live with a 1-bedroom. We didn’t expect anything huge, but this was just tiny. Residence Inns, which are typically much less expensive than Embassy Suites, have much bigger suites than we had at the Embassy Suites. There was no full kitchen, just a tiny microwave, mini-fridge, and sink. The only table in the room was a peninsula table big enough for one or two people to sit at. My parents slept in the bedroom, and I slept on the sofa bed in the living room; when it was folded out, there was almost no room to walk through the living room to get to the bedroom and bathroom. (The sofa bed wasn’t particularly comfortable, but it wasn’t horrible, either. With the right combination of pillows, it was doable.) Also, the pictures on the website show flat-panel HDTVs in the suites; we had two very old CRT TVs. The carpet had too many stains and discolorations to count. The room had a sort of musty smell to it, and the bathroom had mold up near the ceiling. The AC unit was supposed to be white, but a good part of it was brown with rust (see pictures). There was also no fan in the bathroom. There was a shortage of electrical outlets in the room, but I’ve seen that problem before and I came prepared by bringing a surge protector for my laptop, phone charger, fan, etc. At least my parents slept well on the beds in the bedroom; they were basically the only good things about the room.

Apart from the room, though, the hotel was gorgeous. The open atrium created a great atmosphere, and glass elevators are always a nice touch. The casino was great; the gambling age in Puerto Rico is 18, and by law, all casinos are smoke-free, which was perfect for me, a 19-year-old non-smoker who can’t stand the smell of smoke but would still like to play some blackjack. There were several restaurants / places to get food in the hotel, as well as a poolside bar that was supposed to be open until 5 PM daily (although it closed each day due to rain, and even though the rain cleared up well before 5 PM, it didn’t reopen). The food was delicious, but very overpriced; a simple burger was $11. At the pool bar, soft drinks are sold by the can, with no free refills. At the atrium restaurant and lobby bar area, they’re sold in a more typical way, by the glass, with free refills; I think they were $2.50 each there.

Wireless internet access is available throughout the hotel at no additional cost (it’s covered by the hotel’s 14% resort fee). You have to call the front desk for the internet access code, and you have to re-enter it every 24-hour period. It’s pretty slow, but it’s better than nothing (and hey, it’s complimentary). (There is no hard-wired internet access in the room.) They also have a business center and a kiosk where you can print off boarding passes and get checked in for your flight before you go to the airport.

We only went to the manager’s reception once. The lines for alcoholic beverages (beer and wine) were very long. I’m not a drinker, so I opted for the free soft drinks instead; they have Coke products, which I’m definitely a fan of. They also offered various snacks, but I didn’t take a close look at them to see exactly what they offered. The manager’s reception takes place daily from 5:30 to 7:30 PM in the atrium near the pool entrance.

Speaking of free food and drinks, they also offer a free cooked-to-order breakfast every morning. On weekdays, it ends at 9:30 AM; on Saturdays and Sundays, it ends at 10:30. I’m a late sleeper, so I never made it out of bed in time to enjoy it. My dad went; he said the lines were long, and the food was average. I also saw a sign in the casino advertising free breakfast every day until 11:30 AM, but it didn’t look like a full breakfast; the picture looked like a few pieces of toast and some fruit.

The pool area was huge and beautiful, but I didn’t use it much. I swam for a little while on the first day, but the water seemed a little cool to me. Then again, it had just rained and it was still cloudy, and I consider anything less than about 84 to be cool. I was able to get all the way in, it just wasn’t pleasant. The hot tub was perfect, though. They also had a kiddie pool off to the side, but I didn’t see anyone in it.

I would not recommend renting a car and driving in Puerto Rico if you’re not familiar with the island and the way they drive; it’s pretty different from typical U.S. driving (much more aggressive, and taxis seem to always have the right of way no matter which way they’re going). Just walk or take a taxi wherever you need to go. We went to the Plaza Las Américas two out of the three days we were there; it was about $20 each way, so plan to spend a lot on taxis if you want to get anywhere, but it still beats the heck out of renting a car and driving down there. The Plaza Las Américas is their shopping mall, and it’s got everything from Macy’s to Gap to Borders (an epic two-story Borders at that) and a bunch of local stores, in addition to some 40 restaurants (some fast food and some sit-down). The first day there, we ate at Chili’s. The Chili’s restaurants down there have a few menu items that they don’t have in the States; I highly recommend the classic chuletas (delicious lightly-fried and seasoned pork chops). The second day there, 6/12, we were there for the Coheed and Cambria signing on the first floor of Borders; there were well over 200 people there in line to meet the band and get their items signed. (Claudio and the others are amazingly cool, down-to-earth people and incredibly talented musicians. If you’ve never given Coheed and Cambria a good listen, I’d highly recommend it.) After that, we ate at Subway and then grabbed a taxi to the Coliseo de Puerto Rico José Miguel Agrelot, where the Coheed concert was; they were absolutely incredible, as they almost always are live. (Claudio, their lead singer, is Puerto Rican by heritage, so he and the band decided to play a gig in Puerto Rico for the first time; the crowd was definitely happy about that.) It was a little difficult to catch a taxi back to the hotel after the concert. We expected them to have cabs lined up for people who needed to get places but didn’t have rides, but we had to ask a security guy how to get a cab; he just found another one that was already full and asked the driver to call another one to the Coliseo, which he did.

I never walked to the beach, but my dad did a couple of the days we were there. It’s a pretty short, safe walk. He took some pictures of the beach, and it really is gorgeous.

Our flight home didn’t leave until 3:00, so my dad (an HHonors member) asked for a late check-out of 1:00 and got it with no problem.

One very important note about flights from Puerto Rico back to the States: before you stand in that long line to check your bags, you first have to go through a separate line for USDA inspection. There are a few signs that indicate this, but they are not detailed; they don’t tell you that you have to go stand in a separate line before standing in the line to check your bags, but you do. Go to the USDA inspection line FIRST, and THEN the line to check your bags.

Oh, and one last tip about the hotel: right next to the 08 room on each floor (e.g., room 708 on the seventh floor), there are vending machines with Cokes and waters for $1 each. Don’t pay $2.50 for a bottled water at the Atrium Café / Noble Roman’s place when you can get them for a buck each next to the 08 room. I also heard that there are snack AND drink vending machines next to room 208, but just drink vending machines on the other floors.

Overall, the hotel got the job done, but it wasn't a very pleasant experience due to the problems with the room. I'd recommend staying elsewhere (although I'm not sure where, since I'm not familiar with San Juan at all... maybe El San Juan resort and casino). If you have three or more people, definitely go for a 2-bedroom suite, as a 1-bedroom gets awfully crowded (especially considering how tiny the 1-bedrooms at this Embassy Suites are).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank chris11828
GlMEmbassy, GM at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Dear Chris 11828,

Thank you for taking your time to answer the review. I apologize for any inconvevience you may have encountered in your recent stay. I understand you were dissopointed with the tv's. So I would like to inform you, that we finished installing all our plasma tv's, in all 299 rooms now. We're also making renovations at our breakfast area for faster service. Maybe next time you come to our property you will be able to enjoy, all the new amenities you expected. At Embassy Suites our guest are very important to us. We ask you give us an opportunity to serve you in the near future.
Luis Arellano G.M
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,079 reviews

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!