“OK for an airport hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed November 20, 2008

The Sunday breakfast was not "cooked to order" and the eggs,waffles and potatoes were cold. The carpet base molding in my room was falling off, there was mold at the floor on the bathroom tile. The staff were fine, very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed November 11, 2008

The last review really went into great detail about the hotel and what ES has to offer :) I won't have to write the huge review I thought I would have to :)

We had amazing service from the entire staff right from the moment we checked in at 11AM and Ilene the desk manager had our suite ready for us :)

We did eat twice at Outback steakhouse and the first night ordered the happy hour two for one margaritas and was told it was already 7PM on their computer...we looked at my watch (6:49) and the waiter's watch(6:48!) and asked him to go and change the time of their computer. He came back and sweated abit, (turns out his manager was trying to make us pay full price) and then went and honoured the happy hour prices. It was now 6:55, he apologized a few times and seemed relieved that we were not upset...I wondered if this happened often??

We enjoyed our two meals there the first night the steaks and ribs were very good. Second time we arrived at 6 after a tiring day at the rainforest and the hamburgers and chicken burgers (and the happy hour margs LOL) were incredible :)

The walk down to the Isla Verde BLVD is a quick maybe 3-5 min walk, I had thought (mistakenly) that we would have to walk two city blocks and cross a extremely busy almost freeway to get to the beach but this was not the case at all. We walked down the little side street to the crosswalk by the burger king strip mall and there was the most lovely beach WOW :)

Speaking of the Burger King/Ponderosa strip mall there is a lovely Puerto Rician restaurant in there named Mi Casta)wrng name sorry but you will see it) We ate there once and it was great and very cheap and always busy :)

We were delighted with the largness of our king bed one bedroom suite. Housekeeping always left the room spotless and changed our sheets the third day in. Buffet servers were always there to clear away plates and the servers at the Manager's reception were a delight. We made sure to tip housekeepers, breakfast staff and bartenders at the reception and our drinks were there within seconds of us standing in line.

I truly can not say enough good things about this hotel and it's great value and staff!!

Yea the furniture is a little dated but who cares?? We were not paying Westin, Intercontinental or Ritz -Carlton prices for this hotel. We paid $143.00 plus taxes and the resort fee , we had a car but did not do the valet parking and they actually waived our parking I think because I am a HH member. Nice touch.

I travel alot for work and stay at some very nice hotels and resorts and must say this ES, along with all of her staff, really is at the top of the pack because of the great stay we just had there :)

Stayed: November 2008
7  Thank quincytoo
Reviewed October 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this Embassy Oct. 22-28. We received a AAA rate of $152.99 plus tax, plus the hotels "resort tax" of 12% made the room around $180. Also, self parking in the parking garage was $14 a day. The hotel is located within a mile of the airport, but we were never bothered by plane noise. He was there on business, and I was there for pleasure.
The resort tax allows you to make free local calls and use the wifi from your suite. Note: the wifi was sometimes weak on the 7th floor and not powerful enough to use in the bedroom part of the suite.
Our room was clean, but the carpet needs to be replaced, and the furniture in the bedroom was nicked. A paint job was also needed in our suite. The king bed in our suite was comfortable, except for stiff pillows.
The rate includes breakfast which includes made to order omelets or eggs (tip is not accepted like Embassy's in America); bad pancakes; so-so french toast; fruit; cereal; toast/bagels; juices; coffee; yogurts.
Also included is the Manager's Reception Happy Hour from 5:30-7:30 nightly. You can get two drinks (or a double) per person at a time, but there is no limit to how many times you go back. There's one beer on tap, wines, and mid level alcohol. We tipped a dollar at each trip. Some people don't tip at all. Popcorn, a mix of chips, and pop were available as well.
Service from the staff was not consistent. Some of the younger employees were not as helpful as the more mature ones.
The pool is clean, huge and lovely. There's a pool bar, but it was never open. After numerous people asked for drink and food service, a staffer came out and took orders. Drinks were delivered promptly, but the food took over an hour.
Except for a few smoking suites, this is a non-smoking hotel, as most establishments in Puerto Rico.. even the casinos. But, you can smoke outside at the pool, or out front of the hotel. There are ash trays and benches set up in the front, but no ashtrays by the pool. Most people just put their cigarettes out on the ground. Towels are available for free at the pool, and you can also take them to the beach which is a good 2 blocks away. We didn't make it to the beach but heard it was very nice.
There's a self laundry room on the main level which requires $1.75 to wash and $1.50 for a 30 minute dry. The front desk will exchange bills for quarters and sell you a small ziploc bag full of powder detergent for $2.14.
Note: There is a gift shop, but it's under renovation at this point.
We ordered room service 4 times and the food was pretty good. Sometimes not as hot as we'd like, but we'd use the microwave in our suite to warm the food. If you like burgers, order them well-done, or they'll come out pretty rare. I recommend the french onion soup.
Pizza Hut and Domino's delivers to the hotel, but you have to go to the lobby to retrieve it. We didn't order from Pizza Hut, but Domino's pizza was good and reasonable.
Inside the hotel is an Outback Steakhouse. It's as good as any I've been to, but more expensive. It's open for dinner only Sunday - Friday, and opens for lunch on Saturdays.
We ate lunch at Lupi's (near by) which was expensive and just so-so. Be careful ordering pop, no free refills.
There are two ATMS in the hotel. There was no fee involved except for what your bank charges. You can also cash a check up to $100 a day at the front desk. Be prepared for your check being denied by the security check company they use. One of our checks was approved, the other denied.
The casino is on the small side. Lots of slots including penny slots. Two blackjack tables, a 3 card poker table, and 2 roulette tables in which one was always very busy, and rarely did they open the 2nd even if there were people standing around wanting to play. I think the casino opens at 11 am and closes at 4 am.
There was entertainment in the bar/casino area Fri-Sun nights. Good, but most songs were popular hits only in PR.
Taxi's are always available but pricey, and you can pay for valet parking for $20 day.
There's a free business office to use the internet (2 computers) and free use of the printer.
There's a grocery store and other shops a block away. Ponderosa is also close by. There's also plenty of hotels in the area within walking distance that have casinos. The Intercontinental has beautiful grounds, a good casino and a Japanese steakhouse that we heard was very good.
All in all, I'd give this hotel 3 stars. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank winksgal
Reviewed September 9, 2008

My two girl friends and I stayed at the Embassy Suites hotel on August 23rd and 24th, 2008. This Embassy Suites is located about a mile from the airport, and the taxi ride to the hotel cost about $18.00. I found it a little strange that a hotel located so close to the airport wouldn't have a shuttle...

The hotel is located in the Isla Verde area of San Juan, two blocks away from the beach (within walking distance). The area around the hotel is not very touristy - there is a Holiday Inn across the street, but otherwise, it seems to be somewhat residential. If you want to be in a more tourist-friendly area of San Juan, book a hotel in Condado or Old San Juan.

Otherwise, everything was fine at the Embassy Suites. They always have the large, two-room suites, which are really nice. The room and bathroom were clean and we had no complaints. As always with Embassy Suites, there were a few extra perks as well: free breakfast (not the greatest, but hey its free), complimentary cocktail hour (yes free drinks), microwave in room, refridgerator in room.

The pool looked nice, but I have to say that we never went in. We also visited the Casino and the Outback Steakhouse that are within the hotel.

Overall we were very satisfied with our stay at the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank Laura_Wilde_7
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I was in San Juan on business. The room was clean and comfortable. The toilet backed up on my second day there, but I reported it on my way out in the morning, and it was repaired before I returned in the evening. Parking is expensive ($14/day), but it's a covered parking deck, which is nice considering the heat. There's a very good complimentary hot breakfast every morning, including an omellete bar, as well as a manager's reception every night where guests get two complementary drinks. The drive to the airport is less than five minutes, but I didn't hear any overhead air traffic while I was inside the hotel.

This was my second stay at the Embassy Suites San Juan, and it will be my first choice the next time I find myself in Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
6  Thank 3dawgnight
Reviewed September 2, 2008

The Embassy suites hotel saved our vacation. The hotel was beautiful and the pool was warm and comfortable as well as huge.
We were on the 5th floor and it was quiet and comfortable. Service good, food good and breakfast was the best.
The beach is only two blocks (about 3 mins) walk away from the hotel.
We stayed and dined at the hotel because the local restaurants were so unfriendly towards tourists especially towards african americans and dominicans. we refused to support this and stayed away. We couldn't believe how rude local island puerto ricans were when they are so nice here at in NY.
If it were'nt for the nice, friendly staff at the hotel, we would have ended the trip early and flew to DR or Jamaica.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank bigmomma100
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We came to Puerto Rico for a friend's wedding. The bride had chosen this hotel for all the guests from the states to stay in. Very smart bride! This hotel was convenient to the airport and lovely Isla Verde beach. Lots of restaurants & a grocery store nearby. The hotel itself has a nice parking garage for your rental car. The desk staff, bar tenders & gift shop girls speak english.
The free breakfast is outstanding! The pool is way above average! We never encountered any problems of any kind and would recommend this hotel to any body, especially first-time Puerto Rico visitors.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!