“Go someplace else”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Go someplace else”
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Staying here now. We have an early flight out of San Juan and chose ES because it was recommended. We are now questioning the judgement of the recommenders. The place is overrun with low class people. Many look like Walmart shoppers. I don't think I'm a snob. I like clean, decent appointed hotels that don't have a lot of riff raff. Okay maybe I am a snob. If you prefer places where the pools and amenities are well kept and that say "we're proud of our facility" then this is not the place for you. Although tidy in appearance, our room smells like urine. The bathroom has a sour Clorox smell to it. There is no safe in the room. There are no washcloths and only one face towel for three people. I called housekeeping for more but they never arrived, had to ask at the desk. The desk staff was pleasant. They offer free drinks for two hours in the afternoon which is nice but the tables and chairs are filthy. Guests next to us had their own Pizza Hut delivery. Guests walk around barefoot in the public areas. Place lacks a sense of decorum. Okay for overnight stay to be close to airport but not for any longer than that. Yuk.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank LBcat613

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Pembroke Pines, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Great Hotel. A fun-filled atmosphere. Very close to restaurants and walking distance from the beach. Although I did not get a chance to really enjoy the amenities, I would certainly go back and stay here for vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Lorraine K:

Thank you for staying with us and for your positive comments!

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Mechanicsburg, PA
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This hotel is not a fancy/nice hotel. It is a business style hotel but caters to a party crowd. Breakfast is good but on a busy day you will wait in crazy lines if you go after 7. Same thing with the evening reception. Tasty little drinks but when the line is long not worth it. Pool is really nice and for some reason was never crowded so that was really nice. a ten minute walk to their spot on the beach. Bring cash to tip the guy to set up your chairs, umbrellas, and to bring you water. $$ goes a long way - make sure to tip and everything is very nice. Valet guys were nice and I never had to wait. We stayed 9 nights so after a few days they saw me coming and went to get my car. Beach is nice but I am sure in a more resort area it is much nicer - which that being said - this beach was so much nicer than your typical ocean city or virginia beach type of beaches we typically drive to at home. the sand was soft and the water was wonderful you could swim and wade in it all day. very close to the airport and you could get around easily. They have a nice mall about 20 minutes away. outback in hotel is ok. We liked ordering take out from inside the hotel. We really liked the chips and ranch dressing at the happy hour as well. My work paid for the hotel so it was totally fine for us, but I think we would probably try to stay at a beach resort if we were paying.

Room Tip: We were by the elevator which was great because it always seemed quick
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We only need one night because we are flying over to Vieques in the morning. We have two adults and two 17 yr old children with us. The two girls decided they would sleep on the sofa bed so we got a king for us. The sofa bed is old and worn out. The suit is very small and the carpet has lots of stains in it. We stayed on the HHonors floor so we expected better. Gladwe only have to stay one night.

Room Tip: Not sure an room would be better than any other ones
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Came here for a three night stay (steel here at the moment) to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. At the moment of the check-in...what a disappointment. Is not the first time that I've been here, but it's the first time that I have received the worst customer service experience EVER.
Here's what happened:
I had a reservation for two rooms, and a girl (she was really nice) at front desk was trying to explain why i had some charges already that even she wasn't able to understand (and here's the thing) her MANAGER which name I'll never forget: IRENE CAPO said that it was an extra night that was been charged (plus the hold that usually comes up in your cc) but the girl in front of me was telling me that it has no sense as it was less amount of.the full night.price! So she was very nice, she told me that she was going to remove the additional charges and she was going to help me find a room were I can be next to my mom as I wanted. Her manager (again Mrs Capo) was continuously interrupting our conversation, like trying to say that everything that she was explaining was wrong or not possible. But for my surprise, when she called the person next to me in line, she was really nice, and I mean like REALLY nice. So, what im truly disappointed at is, that I'm puertorican, I live here, and I like to vacation here. I live in the municipality of Toa Alta and I'm also a professional who leads and represents a brand. You have to be a model and ALL client's deserve the SAME respect. The problem in Puerto Rico, it's not our economy, is not even drugs or our government. It's our people. You can show respect for a tourist, the same way that you can do, to one of yours, and this one, was bad on you Mrs Capo. PLUS, when I came to my room the TV on the "living room" was not working, I called front desk and again Mrs Capo, was on the phone also, I told her what was going on and she said she was going to send somebody over, she never did. Today (almost 24 hrs later) called again front desk, a nice girl named Aisha came to the phone this time and she waited patiently until I told her all my frustration and said she was sending someone over. Victor Carrasquillo from engineering came like in 2 minutes, he changed my TV nicely and I had nothing more to say from this guy, he was also realy nice, but Mrs Capo, sadly I'm taking home this bad experience with me

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Grace R
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Grace R:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We’re very sorry that your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards and we apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Nothing major to report about this property. If you're visiting San Juan this hotel is very centrally located. Your very close to the airport and many other areas of interest.

They have a casino in the lobby and a nice pool. The staff were ok. Had some really nice ones and others not so nice. Not rude but not as attentive as they could be.

Only thing about this place is that they advertise a private beach. What they don't really make clear is that the hotel itself is not adjacent to the actual beach. You have to walk about three blocks to get to the beach and all it is is that they have a certain section of the public beach marked off for use by Embassy Suites guests. They have a couple of staff to had you towels and set up an umbrella and chairs, but it's not on the hotel property itself. Think about that when you're planning on carrying a bunch of stuff to the beach and if you have kids because you have to cross a busy street.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Jackomoipa
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 22, 2014

No secrect that I'm a fan of Embassy Suites so naturally I booked this place for a recent San Juan business trip.

Arrived to find the norm, fabulous place, open and airy with a fabulous outdoor resort style swimming pool and jacuzzi situated next to a fun outdoor bar.

As usual with ES, the two room suites were their standard, nice and spacious and very comfortable.

The hotel is located just outside the airport, a two block walk from a very nice beach and a 15 minute drive from Old San Juan - all very convenient!

Service and staff were all fantastic and of course here in San Juan, you have the convenience of a small casino right in the hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank EuroTexan
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear EuroTexan:

What a fantastic review! Thank you for your loyalty. We are very happy you decided to stay with us.

We will look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,141 reviews

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!