“Great San Juan Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Me and wife stayed here 5 days 4 nights June 5th - June 9th. The hotel is a short 2 block walk to the beach, and close to lots of restaraunts and nightlife. The free breakfast in the morning is great - the happy hr is ok (drinks are really weak - which is what what you would expect when it's free). Only other complaint I had was the casino, as other guest have said, it was small - and the beverage service was slow...but overall, this place is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nickyb07
Write a ReviewReviews (2,619)

Reviewed May 22, 2008

My two friends and I(50 something) chose this hotel for a girlfriend getaway and it was perfect for our needs.We arrived on Friday night and getting a taxi from the airport was very easy and quick.
My one and only complaint is the room we reserved and reconfirmed the day before was not available. We reserved a room with two doubles, but they said the only thing available for that night was one king. They had a big party in the lobby and the only way they could accomodate them was to give them our room for the night. One of my friends planned on sleeping on the sofa anyway, so we agreed .They did comp the extra person fee as our original reservation was for two and later turned out to be three. We thought that was fair.The next day around 2 they moved all our stuff, we didn't have to wait around, and just stopped at the desk to exchange keys.
The staff were all friendly and at least twice a day someone would ask if everything was ok with our room.One day we forgot the do not disturb sign on the door all day and there was a message under the door saying what time the maid was there and if we needed anything like clean towels, don't hesitate to call.
I really like the layout of these suites. There's quite a space between bedroom and living room and a tv in both rooms, so especially travelling with friends who might be on different clocks, you don't have to tip toe around for fear of waking someone up. There's a frig,microwave,coffeemaker,coffee ,tea and I brought some paper plates and plastic cutlery that really came in handy with leftovers.There's a large grocery store around the corner, so we kept the ice bucket full and had a lot of drinks and snacks in our own little place. A standard room wouldn't have been nearly so comfortable.
The beds were very comfortable and the powerful shower was heaven, expecially after a day of walking around in that heat. I read a review saying the pool was cold,well,not anymore. We thought it was perfect. By July, it'll probably be too warm. This Puerto Rican sun is hot,hot,hot! There always is a breeze tho, so it doesn't seem as hot as other places I've been in May.
We thought the breakfast in the morning was a huge savings and very good. The first day I skipped the omelettes and just had scrambled eggs, but don't do that. You pick all your own ingredients and put it in a bowl, then wait about 2 minutes and yumm. There's also bacon, sausage, potatoes, fruit, pastries and more I've forgotten. Really a nice way to start the day.
The manager's reception at night was nice, but not worth a trip back to the hotel if you're doing something else. They serve only Medalla beer, their mixed drinks are quite weak, and surprisingly enough I liked the wine the best. The chardonnay was actually quite good.
Another convenience here was free internet in the lobby(3screens). There were quite a few businessmen when we were there, so I only had a little wait a couple times. I imagine when there's more kids in the summer, that might be a different story. I think there's also free service in rooms, but I didn't check into that.
The biggest complaint I've read about this hotel is that it's not on the beach. I guess if you want to spend all day on the beach, that would be a consideration. We only spent an hour or two each day so the block and a half walk was no inconvenience to us.After a long tiring day that pool was so nice and never a problem finding a chair at anytime.Again, that might change in the summer.
The area around the hotel has lots of restaurants from American chains to cheap authentic to posh and upscale and you can walk to all of them,Im not a fan of chain restaurants, but the Outback in the hotel was actually quite good.
It's about $20.00 for a cab to OSJ and the rain forest is about 45 minutes away and a definite must see.When you add it all up, this is a great location and a great value. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
6  Thank kathy/baits
Reviewed April 30, 2008

The Embassy Suites is a very comfortable hotel. The breakfast is great in the morning. The staff was friendly. The hotel was beautiful and clean. The pool was freezing. It was hard to even put a toe in. This hotel is within walking distance to the beach, casinos, restaurants (coco bongo is cheap and good) and wal greens.

5  Thank acequeen
Reviewed April 29, 2008

The Embassy Suites in San Juan was by far the BEST decision we made on this trip. You get more then what you pay for, the price was great since it included a delicious Cook to order breakfast every morning & a Happy Hour everyday from 5:30-7:30 all you can drink plus free snacks. The bartenders were great! & Friendly. Those are just a few things that saved us a whole lot $$. The rooms were Spacious & clean! a nice wet bar, a separate living area and great staff! The pool was just beautiful! And relaxing. The casino was a bit small but comfortable and every night they raffle gifts & prizes. I won a $50 raffling prize! This hotel was only a block 1/2 from the beach and just steps away to all restaurants, Hotels & Night Life. The front desk was very helpful with directions etc. The gym room came in handy, and so did the laundry room. There was an Outback Steakhouse in the Hotel the food was great and the prices were reasonable. A small convenience store was great for snacks, cigarettes, & last minute things. The Lobby was just beautifully decorated with Palm trees and ponds, it was just so! Worth it.. We stayed for 4 days but wished we were there longer! Now where are you going to find a great deal like this??? At the Embassy Suites!!
There was a small restaurant "Mi Casita" just in the plaza 1blk away with Great! Spanish food for a great price. Also there was an "Edith's Cafe" right across from the Hampton Inn Suites on Isla Verde Ave with Delicious food and reasonable prices. Lupis, was a nice place to hear music & have a couple drinks good food as well. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends & family!

Stayed: April 2008
5  Thank wnliz
Reviewed April 29, 2008

We, 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 9 and 11) stayed here in April 07 for 4 nights compliments of HHonors points...yeah, I know, I'm a bit late with the review - sorry.

Great location – close to the airport, and about a block and a half from a very nice beach. We never heard the planes at night and slept wonderfully. However, the hotel is very close to the airport and you can easily see the planes land but the noise was pretty much drowned out by the outside noise from people and the waterfall at the pool.

The rooms were of a typical Embassy Suites, more than accomodating for the 4 of us...clean and comfy.

We all loved the huge breakfast every morning and the evening social hour. Since we were travelling with the kids, I really liked having an Outback as the onsite restaurant. The food was prepared just as in the States complete with steamed veggies – something hard to find in the islands. Just a block and a half away is the main street with Burger King, Walgreens, and other fast food type restaurants. We also ate at the Mi Casitas restaurant and had a great meal. It is in walking distance, only two blocks.

The area pool was great. The kids didn't mind and swam every day. It is a beautiful free form pool surrounded by palm trees.

We took the bus to Old San Juan, which was really a good time. We toured the forts and walked around town. We also rented a car from across the street and drove to El Yunque which we all really liked. You can drive through most of it, however, there are also some pretty scenic hiking trails.

Stayed: April 2007
7  Thank jerseyboy99
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Hotel overall is nice. The furnishings in the room need replaced. When you sat on the sofa you were practically sitting on the floor. The rooms were much smaller than other embassy suites I have stayed in. Pool area was very nice. Food was good. Bell staff was more helpful than anyone. Really the only problem I had was at the breakfast area when I was asking the girl where stuff was she was rude and walked off. Everyone else was nice,

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arant
Reviewed April 17, 2008

We just returned from 7 nights at the Embassy in Puerto Rico. What a great time we had! Breakfast provided each day along with an incredible happy hour reception - in which we were very well taken care of by the bartenders! It was a nice way to not spend a lot of money before going out by starting there first. The staff is nice, rooms are immaculate and comfortable. The pool was great and relaxing in the morning but upbeat in the afternoon. The beach and nightlife is just a few blocks away. Bravo to Lupis and Drums - two of our favorite places. The driving down there appeared to be a bit frightening when crossing the street - I don't think I would rent a car. Cab ride to Old San Juan is 19 bucks and worth it. It is beautiful. Check out the little Doug's pub on the corner and the other Lupis. People were very nice and friendly and we definitely will be returning.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!